Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I prefer the longer edition timeframe. 3 years is a very short amount of time for them to get things in a good place and closed to balanced, and pretty much as soon as they start getting there they throw most of it away and start over again. 6+ years and multiple codices during an edition would be fine, especially if the codices are just the updated and balanced army list for the faction or better yet focused on a subfaction with a quick chart and update for the older models in the line.

Agreed, hopefully this one sticks around a while. It seems pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know they were supposed to be their close combat troops, and I also recall playing against Eldar that souped in a unit or two of Kroot mercenaries but it was amongst friends so no idea if that was legal or not in 3rd - I think it was probably a white dwarf thing?

Can't remember if they were any good though TBF I was playing Blood Angels at the time so the blender bois versus "the best Tau CC" isn't really a fair matchup.

It was in a WD, I had a guy in my old group who also ran kroot mercs.

Edit: beaten haha

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Combat Patrol is working well. My partner has been enjoying the hobby so much she bought another kit. When she bought the combat patrol she swore she was only going to buy that one set.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

absolutely love the color choices, good job!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've had good luck with buying some bits on Ebay recently. The key is to find someone that has a number of things you need/like, cart them all and request a retotal. Bits tend to be decently priced there, but shipping is what fucks you over. Of course some stuff on ebay is just absurdly priced.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah definitely get a few bits at that rate, Canada Post has just the worst costs. I do a ton of shipping for my art business, it is cheaper for me to send something to California (I'm on the east coast) than it is to send it to a city one province over. I cannot figure that out. I also end up getting a bunch of stuff from the UK because the rate is comparable to what I get domestically.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

X-posting from painting thread

I'm pretty pleased with this so far. I need to clean up some of the excessive chipping in a couple spots, but overall I'm happy. I also need to paint the crew, but after 2 weeks of this model I need a break from it for a little. This is also the first tank I've painted since the Land Raider Crusader was released. I did have to start over once, but it was pretty early on. I'll get some lightbox photos once the crew is done.

Edit: I also need to blacken the muzzle

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

GigaFuzz posted:

New Recruit (https://www.newrecruit.eu/) is my favourite. It and Bluescribe (https://bluewinds.github.io/bluescribe/) use the same BSData source as Battlescribe, but are web-based.

There's also Rosterizer (https://rosterizer.com/) which uses it's own data format. UI's not great at the moment but they're working on it.

Rosterizer was the first to work for 10th ed. in Yellowscribe for playing 40k in Tabletop Simulator, but I think the BSData-based ones work with that now as well to some degree.

seconding new recruit

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wrr posted:

Oh, thank you. I had the regular index cards but I didn't know about the Armor: Astra Militarum cards.

You'll need at least 20 infantry, but you almost certainly want to run two blobs of 20. I'd also grab a Leman Russ, can't go wrong there. I'm working on the same goal, 1000pts of vostroyan guard. Artillery is also a big must.

I'd strongly recommend you recreate the cadian combat patrol as well. That way you have a working combat patrol, which is how most people are playing the equivalent of 500pts. In my local area people are taking GW saying 500pts games aren't balanced very seriously and won't play that low except for CP.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd thought the specific Combat Patrol game mode made each box into a bespoke list with special rules, so that they were balanced? So you could give the weaker boxes special buffs?

rantmo posted:

I don't know that there's much analysis of the various patrols but they definitely vary in power pretty widely and I don't think that any of them have extra rules to compensate. Closest I can think of is that the Space Marine patrol doesn't have any Battleline units so they have to spend a CP for sticky objectives but that feels more like insult to injury rather than compensation to me. Match ups really seem to make a huge difference too, I've only played Grey Knights into Tyranids and Space Marines and while I'm 0 for 3 those two match ups are wildly different; 'nids have a hard time killing GKs but have so much loving board presence it's almost impossible to out-scenario them and taking out all their numbers is really challenging. I'm getting closer and closer buying another Patrol box already (I should wait until I get my army at least basecoated but isn't that the very essence of wargaming) just to see how differently they play.

Each faction has special rules and strategems to compensate for the differences in points the combat patrol boxes have. The game uses all the same 40k rules, but has different datasheets with different keywords and abilities than the same units have in 40k. It is far from perfect though.

I have guard, which I think is the lowest points? However, I can bring back my infantry units for 1cp, and my orders apply to all my units, to name two of many pretty decent abilities. I think that works well and plays super thematically. I've got an officer and heavy guns towards the back, and I'm just directing waves of infanty into problems.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

rantmo posted:

One of the problems is that the stratagems and rules can't really fix the problems with some of the patrols, especially in terms of board presence. I'm not sure the missions are helping either but I'm also not sure how you could build a 40k mission at that scale that didn't exacerbate such fundamental problems..

It is fun and good, but absolutely has problems due to how it uses pre-existing products and was reverse-engineered. But like, it's not like the same problems can't be said about 40k proper, that game has big issues with balance too.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I managed to recruit two new people into the game today! gonna introduce them to combat patrol next weekend! :dance:

How are you finding Combat Patrol?

My partner picked up the Votann one (has never played before) and has been enjoying the experience so much she's considering putting 1k of points together. It seems to be very popular with people who haven't been exposed to 40k before, but is far less popular with people who have. I really like it because it feels like 40k, but doesn't have the usual barriers to playing, such as a 4 hour potential gametime, or the small fortune needed to play 2k games.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Devorum posted:

I'm a long time player and I love Combat Patrol. It's so easy to just bang out a game with minimal fuss, and it's a great intro to the hobby. It's also nice for trying out other factions without a large buy-in. I've got Thousand Sons, Votann, Space Marines and Necrons and I just picked up Orks, Aeldari, and Dark Angels.

Yeah, I've been eyeing the Dark Eldar combat patrol, I must finish painting my vostroyans first though. Combat Patrol reminds me of minigeddon, a smaller game of epic with special list building rules to support low point games. I have many small forces for minigeddon, I fear I'll start doing the same for Combat Patrol.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I definitely fall into the "love assembly and will never make a kit as intended", but I do find the new kits a bit more stressful to put together. I don't mind though because they look so nice.

I'd love to get the thread's opinion on my current project, a Vostroyan Bombast for my combat patrol. I absolutely love the idea of this gun team, I've always thought the guard should have a field gun. However, the Cadian's increasingly Korean/Vietnam War aesthetic really doesn't mix with the Vostroyans, who are at best Tsarist Russians, and more honestly, Napoleonic in appearance. I decided to lean into the Tsarist army look, and have the following so far:

While making this I've been looking at the following gun, but I'm not attempting to replicate it. I just wanted something era appropriate to use as a guide.

There is still lots of clean up, and it isn't all glued together. I'm curious what people think? Is the gunshield too plain? I want ample room for a decal or two, but it seems plain.

I just got the wheels today, haven't touched them up at all. I know they look rough.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Bolts! Great idea, I have a silicone bolt maker so consider it done. It didn't cross my mind because it would be a solid piece of steel, but in 40k everything needs bolts/rivets.

edit:

Good call on the greebles, helped me fit an aquila on there.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 24, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I know it may be a bit late in the day for this suggestion but I wouldn't have put a shield on it at all. That way it just looks like a cannon.

This was my initial plan, to go with more of a Napoleonic look, but the carriage is so much bulkier than the gun and it just looked off. I'm much happier leaning into the WW1 field gun look. The bolts cured overnight and I'll attach them tonight after work.

Thanks everyone, I'm super happy with it now. I might have to skip it forward in my painting queue.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 24, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've worked with resin professionally a ton and despite that I could never imagine preferring it to plastic. To each their own, but plastic is just so easy, especially for conversions. Plus, if I sand it I don't have to do a huge detailed clean up immediately after.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I play mostly guard so I can answer that; a large portion of their codex was invalidated with the switch to 10th just a few months after the release of their book. The sting from this is lessened in that their free rules were released at the start of 10th. Perhaps Guard is heavily impacted by the changes in 10th so they feel it more. Guard historically has had a lot of unique subfactions and armies that make up the guard with unique styles and whatnot, and that was removed with 10th, for all armies. The worrying part is that it appears from the Tyranid codex leaks that the codexes will introduce subfactions again, but call them detachments instead, but the point is roughly the same; using the same models but having army wide rules that modify how they play. Perhaps encouraging a different selection of models than normal. So it stands to reason that the books released late in 9th edition are likely to also be released late in 10th edition, which will be frustrating for Guard players.

Having bought into Guard at the very tail end of 9th I really feel this. At least I didn't have to wait a whole edition for a codex only to have it immediately invalidated, still kinda sucks to have the codex immediately be useless to me. I hope the wait for the next one isn't too long.

I do prefer the physical copy, I know digital is way better technically, but I just don't like being at the mercy of the internet. I maintained a DVD/blueray collection all through the golden age of netflix despite it seeming dumb, but now that digital content is hard to acess again, and their are a billion $15 per month subscriptions locking it all up and I love to just be able to grab something off the shelf and watch it. I feel the same about books.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 28, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Decorus posted:

I was missing a pair of Field Ordnance guns for my IG Combat Patrol. I'm not a huge fan of the patrol's wargear selections, so both guns are modular and can be armed with any of the options. I decided to keep the crew posed neutrally enough to work with any of the options, though I'm not particularly happy about it.

I just realized I've forgotten to add battery insignia on the crew patches, I'll fix that later. They'll join my small existing artillery platoon formation, I'm going to kit bash a few new models to re-equip the infantry to the Combat Patrol specification. I guess I'll have to scratch build a Sentinel plasma cannon too. I'm too bad at this game to add non-wysiwyg models to the whole mess. :)

I also clipped out the gun seat! I love how they are looking. I'm building my rocket launcher in a firing position, with everyone clear the backblast. I was worried it would look too open behind it, but yours looks great!

That green also looks so good, especially on the earthshakers! Good job! I also agree that the loadouts CP makes you build really suck.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow this video with john blanche is awesome:-

https://youtu.be/NCOSao1KEQo?si=4sA18lbDZls1PLDp

The famous 3rd edition box art took him three months to make!! Wow!

I really enjoyed this, touches on some great influential artworks, plus a ton of insight on his creative process and how he shaped 40k.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I played a lot of 3rd, a tiny amount of 9th, and now a bit of 10th. I find that there is way too much to keep in my head as a new player. There are a lot of re-roll abilities, so many strategems, I find the flow of the game a bit rough. I do miss the straight forward roll to hit, wound, then the opponent makes a save from 3rd. I can't get into a flow with my turn, I'm always forgetting something, something is always getting re-rolled... I'll figure it out eventually, but I don't really feel like I'm having a smooth fun experience yet. I'm constantly asking my opponent what their unit's abilities are, they are super important, but I can't possibly be expected to remember them all right?

For an edition that was about streamlining it sure doesn't feel steamlined, hopefully that eases up a bit as I get more games in.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I really like the Term characters, but they also really remind me of the Terms I had like 15+ years back, so I can see why people might not be excited.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you? With no EC codex on the horizon and no specific units for said army I've been building up a CSM army painted generally as EC but I've been hankering to paint some other legions up. As long as the rim color is the same would it be inconsiderate to my opponents if in my predominantly pink army there is suddenly a squad of Night Lords raptors or Iron Warriors legionaries mixed in? I assume not but kinda wanted to feel out if it was some sort of faux pas.

Couldn't that just be handwaved away as a Black Crusade force? I'm not the best on lore these days, but wasn't that many legions under Abaddon's command?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people coming back were roughly highschool/early college age when 3rd edition was out and are now hitting middle age. It's also roughly in line with a typical nostalgia cycle of around 20-30 years. Kind of a perfect storm for getting back into a hobby of this kind.

Yeah, started playing around 96, stopped around 2005. I was in highschool at that point and had gotten my first real job. A lot of things started to compete for my money, dating and weed beat warhammer by a long shot. The pandemic combined with getting to a point in my career where I had money to spare and stability, plus nothing to go out and spend it on got me back in. I think I'm in a place where I can really truly enjoy the hobby. I do play the game, but converting and painting are just such a great way to relax in the evening.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ashcans posted:

As of the 2022 annual report they have 43 injection moulding machines; I have no idea what the scale or anything is so maybe that's not as impressive as it sounds.

I am pretty sure that GW does all the design and creates the moulds in house. They definitely do CNC milling in Nottingham, and I think that is how the metal molds for plastic injection are made? I don't know what else they'd be doing with that. I think one issue they have for their production is that a lot of their paper products (boxes, cards, books) were being printed in China for cost purposes and those logistics hosed a lot of stuff up for them. They have been making an effort to centralize and in-house as much as possible; they recently in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility, maybe they will get around to the paper products too.

With Brexit there is probably a limited time before GW is the majority of British manufacturing.

When you say they in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility are you talking about their entire citadel paints line? I wouldn't think the machinery alone would fit into that space. The company I'm with now is tiny and has many times that much space. We are a ~$1m a year in sales manufacturer and have about 5k sqft.

I'd guess maybe it was 10,000?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

xtothez posted:

They don't produce the paint in-house. GW make the paint pots themselves using injection molds, then fill them using paint bought in bulk containers from an external supplier.

This video explains the setup
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-63A7cDkOm8

Ok that makes more sense to me, thanks. That is a pretty efficient use of space.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Those Guard point adjustments are very substantial. I had a 1000pts list I really liked, but it was 5pts over. Now I'm 5pts under and I fit in my armoured sentinel.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lol, some big UK minis seller just sent me insanely poor quality recast GW Vostoryans, and is insisting they are real. The seller hid the extremely obvious problems by hiding the side profile. Now the seller is insisting that they are just miscasts, that I have very bad luck to get 4 of them all at once, which is my entire order. They have vent flash cast onto them, and from the pic you can see just how distorted they are. I think they used different silicones for each side of the mold. I've never seen a casting quite so bad that was being passed off as real.

I'm blown away, you can hide that in a picture, but surely no one thought I'd not notice once I'm holding it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mr Teatime posted:

This is the kind of thing I think about when you read those comments in different corners of the internet on recasts being “even better quality than the original”.

Which bits seller was it?

Not going to name and shame, at least yet. They were very combative with me at first, but seem to be relenting. I don't know how you could ever think that was a legit model though. They have a good reputation, so this is very surprising.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

It could legitimately be a miscast that made its way out of GW. They always had the attitude of bad QA but excellent CS and replaced everything with little question.

I recall buying both a BFG Battleship and Epic Warlord titan. Both ended up in the pile of shame for years before I sold them still unopened to buyers that reported a titan had 2 left legs and a battleship missing half a hull. These were both direct from GW mail order.

I bought multiple models across multiple listings, all have the same distortion. Plus the vent channel flash wasn't removed before recasting and is now cast in place folded against the model. I'm grabbing more photos, these are hands down the poorest quality recasts I've ever seen. It isn't missing stuff, it is squished horizontally.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

I think more counterfeit vostoyans exist than legit ones, even with the semi-recent made to order.

Yeah, I'm sure I have a few, but if I cannot tell then I can't really fault anyone. I don't really care for recasting, but if I get one I'm still going to paint and use it. The ones I just got aren't even usable, they are that poorly made.

To add, I'm an Epic grognard, I have forumware in my collection, I can deal with bad casts. These are even beyond old epic dudes casting their homebrew minis in the garage levels of poor quality.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 10, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

it looks right out of a Blanche painting.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

That all makes sense to me, worst injury I ever got in the army was from an explosive used to simulate an artillery barrage.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Can I get folks opinions on this 1k pts list please?

quote:

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (60pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Warlord
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Power Weapon
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Laspistol
• 1x Plasma Gun
• 3x Lasgun
• 1x Regimental Standard
• 1x Master Vox
• 1x Medi-pack

Regimental Enginseer (45pts)
• 1x Archeotech Pistol
• 1x Enginseer Axe
• 1x Servo-arm

BATTLELINE

Infantry Squad (60pts)
• 1x Sergeant, 7 Guardsmen and 1 Heavy Weapons Team
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 1x Power Weapon
• 7x Lasgun
• 8x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad (60pts)
• 1x Sergeant, 7 Guardsmen and 1 Heavy Weapons Team
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 1x Power Weapon
• 7x Lasgun
• 8x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Heavy Bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Attilan Rough Riders (70pts)
• 4x Attilan Rough Rider
• 4x Laspistol
• 4x Lasgun
• 4x Hunting Lance
• 1x Rough Rider Sergeant
• 1x Power Sabre
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Goad Lance

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Hydra (95pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Hydra Autocannon

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (260pts)
• 1x 2 Additional Heavy Stubbers
• 2x Heavy Stubber
• 1x 2 Heavy Bolters
• 2x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Armoured tracks
• 1x Castigator Gatling Cannon
• 1x Heavy Stubber
• 1x Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon
• 1x Co-axial Autocannon
• 1x Oppressor Cannon

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Flamer
• 1x Lasgun Array

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Lasgun Array

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Lasgun Array

From my limited experiences playing guard I've found I'm most successful when I seize a lot of ground early, then hold onto it for as long as I can. I have a far harder time pushing my opponent off objectives. This list has some problems for sure, but I don't think any are fatal. I'm woefully short on infantry, and those units are small to fit in chimera. I'm quite short on orders too, I don't have a good way to solve that.
My plan is rather obvious, rush forwards onto objectives and pillbox them with the chimera. Dorn with Enginseer close by is my fixer, it isn't optimized for one role, but can fight monsters/tanks, but also spray down hordes. Hydra will mulch flyers, but also chip tanks or really mess up some elites. Arty will slow down fast movers or just provide some much needed firepower. Cavalry can either rush forwards or act as a mobile reserve force. Command squad will likely stay in Chimera to issue orders from a safe distance.
I would love to run a shitload more infantry, but I paint slow and am doing Vostroyans, I don't want to track down and buy many more of these models. In my collection I've also got the following:

-Primaris psyker
-Commissar
-regimental preacher
-Ogryn bodyguard
-unbuilt leman russ (don't know what variant to pick yet)
-armoured sentinel
-ordnance battery (1 bombast and 1 rocket, thanks combat patrol)

So my options to replace things are a bit limited, but I could always buy another kit I suppose. People in my area are fun to play with, but also seem to go hard by default. If anyone recalls, the guy who ran my intro game in 9th tried to table me. So I'm hoping this list, while certainly not competitive, can hold its own and be fun to play.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 24, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hydra is anti-fly, the fly keyword is quite common if I'm not mistaken. (maybe not common, but in my local area everyone seems to have at least one.)

For the command squad I was thinking it would last far longer in a chimera, I might even swap out the banner and medic for a heavy weapon. I could get them firing off the gun deck. I would think they'd die like crazy if I put them into a little squad, not to mention then they can't fit in the Chimera.

I can see what you mean about the RR, maybe I'll just keep them as my reserve for counter-charging. Or maybe I could swap them?

Also yeah, I've been pondering how to get the most out of the rus.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 24, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Hydra is one of the better looking "newer" imperial guard tanks

I don't think it looks as nice as the old forgeworld one, but I'm not about to pay for an OOP resin kit. It still looks great all things considered. The detailing in the console is excellent. I haven't assembled it yet, I'm slowly working myself up to possibly having to entirely sculpt a Vostoryan crew for the console.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

yeah I mean ultimately this is more about your local meta than anything.

if you play with a bunch of people that use shining spears and biker custodes etc sure

you could call all of your guys 'catachans' and have them scout 6" in their chimeras at the start of the battle to get extra movement towards objectives

I like that catachan idea, I'll give that a try too. I'll miss the heavy weapon on the firing deck, but 6 inches is 6 inches. Also yeah, one of my main opponents plays Custodes and loves the jet bikes, that alone did a lot to make me buy the hydra. It sounds like I should keep working on fine tuning this, but I don't think i'll be getting tabled turn two? That is my big worry, these people are fun to hang with and play with, but they will table me if they can.

edit: I really like that catachan idea, it sacrifices a lot of firepower, but overwatching those flamers would possibly cause someone to think twice about charging them.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 24, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OK I really wanna see that Deathguard army. Deathguard players often seem to have a connection to disease, my brother plays them and does medical research. He paints them up good and gross.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks, these are great. The Great Unclean One is a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hey those assault marines look great, I normally don't care for the new marine kits, but those are spot on. Good silhouette and not too busy.