Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Hey, resin afficiandos.

Before I break a part I can't easily replace, how would you connect/pin a blade onto the end of a handle, especially one small and/or spindly like a spear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sorry, quick phone snap, but you get the idea. Going to put the head facing to his left so we get a two handed charge pose.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, the galaxy is a big place, and any possible faction shenanigans are permissable and even justifiable in lore.

* The Ultramarines force on some kind of Vengeance crusade, who adopt tactics that eerily resemble the Black Templars
* The Black Legion warband comprised of a Sorceror and his retinue of carefully looted Rubrics over the last 10,000 years
* The Evil Sunz Kult of Speed who got wrecked on a planet with nearly no metallic resources, so they built wooden chariots, saved all the metal for Dakka instead and now resemble AoS Orruks (This owns, do this someone.)
* The Craftworld that fled into the Webway, became consumed by hatred and now look more like their Drukhari cousins, but still hold to the Aspects to stave off falling to Khaine completely.

This is how you make characterful armies, people!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Decided to do a bit of kitbashing and use up some resin bits, and build myself an Emperor's Spears Kill Team!

(I want to find a Fragstorm Grenade Launcher off someone who did their Aggressors as Flamers, so I can mount that on the backpack of the far right guy and give him an Auto Bolt Rifle.)

Assault Intercessor Seargant (Plasma Pistol)
Assault Intercessor Grenadier
Assault Intercessor (Purity Seals, the Eviscerator big boy)
Intercessor with Auto Bolt Rifle & Combat Blade (General skirmisher)
Intercessor with Bolt Rifle, Vengeance Scope & Reclusiam Bolts (Sniper)
Intercessor Gunner with Bolt Rifle, Aux Grenade Launcher (HWG)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 16, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Shockeh posted:

(I want to find a Fragstorm Grenade Launcher off someone who did their Aggressors as Flamers, so I can mount that on the backpack of the far right guy and give him an Auto Bolt Rifle.)

Quoting myself, but if anyone has one of these, I will happily buy it off you, give you goonlove(tm), and it's such a tiny piece with no breakable bits it'll just go in an envelope.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ah. Sadly, no, Australia.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Found it, and yeah, I think it works!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
gently caress, I just had a great short story idea.

The inquisitor sent to a Forgeworld to investigate possible corruption, when it turns out they’ve been churning out fundamentally wrong tanks for the last 40 years that don’t work, purely because someone misread the STC printout they were given and it’s taken this long for them to start arriving with Guard regiments.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Two Beans posted:

Hive Fleet Quackin
This didn't get the recognition of comedy gold that it is, so, bravo sir.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just give them only the option to glide, or have some kind of height advantage mechanic like Corvus Cabal does in Warcry.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Decided for my Emperor's Spears KT, that the one 'Guy with Bolter & Knife' looked too generic, remembered Reivers have a similar loadout, and decided to lean into the idea. Just thought it looked dope enough to share!

The full KT now:

Next up - Airbrushing Alaitoc Blue all over, then Hoeth Blue on anything vaguely upward facing!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Top tip: If you want them glowing X, don’t paint them that colour. Paint them pure white, then thick highlight around them with the colour you want, then highlight again with the colour you want plus white. The glow effect is just your brain telling you ‘the recess is white, must be hot in there!’ And it’ll happily colourise it for you, because our monkey brains love to do that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Gonna sound like a lunatic for a second....
Is Drakenhof Nightshare just hosed? It's the one Shade that watermarks/stains every time, and I spend more time cleaning up blue for staining that any other colour. It's genuinely annoyed me enough I bought Tyran Blue to test with, but it's just way too bright, ends up making your blue areas look electric.

Help me goons - I need alternatives to pin shade blue.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That's the dumb thing; I find it more with this particular Shade.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Absolutely bloody devastated - Finish a Marine for my KT test. Absolutely delighted with it. Go in the garage, shake up the old Satin varnish, spray.

Bubbles everywhere, I think I've picked up a really old can mixed into my others.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Shockeh posted:

Absolutely bloody devastated - Finish a Marine for my KT test. Absolutely delighted with it. Go in the garage, shake up the old Satin varnish, spray.

Bubbles everywhere, I think I've picked up a really old can mixed into my others.

:smith:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’m just grateful he was the test marine!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Samovar posted:

They were ahead of their time and still look good - sleek, alien, yet not overtly complicated. I would be curious behind the story of their design.

That’s easy. Jes Goodwin is a loving genius, and he’d be a gazillionaire if he’d gone into automotive design instead of toy soldiers.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 11, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I never met Jes as staff, and always wanted to; Andy Chambers was always an absolute delight.

Aside: I tried saving my Marine using Isoprophyl Alcohol brushed on, then wiped off with tissue, and it's helped a lot. It hasn't fully corrected it, it's still a bit bumpy, but it's way better than it was!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Woo, just found a box hidden in my garage with my entire OG Delaque gang.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Instead of thinking of the Twin Las as two concurrent beams, think of it firing them alternating like a left, right, left, right, so you’re putting more shots down range, which means more hits.

Voila, Twin Linked makes sense again.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That standing Lord is absolutely great. Just...heavy menace rather than raging like usual, and I am here for it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Spanish Manlove posted:

just an image host like imgur or whatever the new version is

I believe there's a new goon one, it was mentioned in one of the posts...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Yeast posted:

Pro Acryl bold titanium white and it’s not even close.

I just bought this last night on a whim whilst picking up an Iwata Neo (I'm so giddy after using a shithouse SuperCheapAuto airbrush for years) and I am bouncing at the prospect of using it now.

E: Incidentally, I find it's very easy to paint white by just shading & highlighting Grey Seer.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Desfore posted:

I’m not actively trying to follow this topic on Twitter, but I guess liking a couple posts about Custodes is all it takes to flood your feed with it:

https://x.com/warhammer/status/1779544596172689822?s=46&t=A_8U-gLj0vdEjhuKPT6Drw

The official Warhammer account is doubling down on support for Fem-Custodes, which is cool to see. I’ve just been waiting for someone to open the floodgates on the idea that just because that Custode used “She” pronouns, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re biologically female. And then see chuds’ heads explode at the idea of a genetically engineered meta-human in the year 40,000 being trans.

You could cross-reference the replies to this Tweet with Andrew Tate enthusiasts, and it'd be one fuckin' circle on a Venn diagram.

(And as someone who has been in this hobby since the very early 90's, I am here for their meltdowns.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
God I hope they don't do boob plate, and be a bit more subtle.

I really preferred this design of Sororitas, and whilst I'm 'okay' with SOB having boob plate (because of their weird as gently caress inspirations) I hope Custodes females are more in line with the Sigmarite designs.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Virtual Russian posted:

oh ok, phew. I feel better about my abilities again.

Those early catachans, the metal ones, are to mini sculpting what squash and stretch are to animation. If you look at them closely they are all abominations of bad proportions. Pull back and look at the group and they look way better than most modern minis. Their bulk and exaggerated proportions makes each mini stand out and feel like a character, but taken as a whole the proportions seem more normal. You love seeing them on the table, they stand out.

I sat in GW HQ back in, ooh, 2001ish? with a bunch of other staff at the time, and listened to I think Andy Chambers talk about exactly this. How GW miniatures aren't actually 28mm scale, they're intentionally overproportioned in a 'comic' scale, to the points that draw the eye - Faces, Hands, Weapons, unique Gear - Because, despite them being in realism terms 'bad', they make much better miniatures.

E: And you could point to the artists they had at the time as influences there - Look at how much 2000AD Venn overlap there was at the time, which ran on the same premise.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

xtothez posted:

James you idiot, you MTO'd the wrong dread

Not gonna lie, I'd be delighted if they MTO'd the Cardboard Dred.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

sharkmafia posted:

Orks would be cool for the 11th box set baddies, and entirely possible

it feels like there's not really a current lore reason to be it be eldar or tau, since they're kinda-sorta on the same side as the imperium in trying to avoid everything going completely to poo poo

then again, it's just a box set, so really they can do whatever they want

Radical Inquisition sock account spotted. Not even the Imperium is on the Imperium's side, most of the time. Xenos? *BLAM*

Also, the reason I like the Night Lords books is because I like that there's a spectrum of growth from the CSM. Some of them, still 'fighting the Long War', 'Death to the False' blah blah blah, and some are just over this poo poo. That's perfect for me, because it's the portrayal that'd actually happen.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

rantmo posted:

I think that's why it's crucial for 40k orks to be like they are, they're a very necessary counterpoint.

What rantmo said - They're a foil to the grimdark. They're what allows you to maintain the satire, (See also: Infinite and the Divine, Night Lords novels, etc.) and if anything, we should have more nods to it than less.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sorry but Angron is the dumbest oval office that ever lived in the 40k universe.

Gets enslaved.
Gets abused.
Perpetuates abuse.
Re-enslaves himself willingly.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's the third one that's his real crime. I think at the time he saw the War Hounds as just being extensions of the Emperor rather than his own sons so he was like "gently caress it, you want to be like me? FINE. BE LIKE ME".

He's the classic trope of being just self-aware enough to see the Imperium as the bullshit it is, but also just not aware enough to recognise the 'I'm above this/it's all been forced on me' monologue is a delusion whilst actually just perpetuating it.

I mean, of the Daemon Primarchs aligned to The Four the most deluded one is Fulgrim, because he doesn't ever get the iota of self-recognition (because he's a narcissist); At least the rest to some lesser or greater extent realise their gently caress-up, whether they feel any sorrow or remorse regardless. The rest at least have moments where they can recognise the path that led them here, Fulgrim is really still a child.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The issue there is you still have to ask yourself 'Why do these group of seasoned Ubermensch, one of whom is a literal Demigod whose key traits are being extremely perceptive, astute and charismatic, start listening to this guy at all?'

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd genuinely be like 'We're playing 1990 points, with a 10 point allowance, because that's how points work'.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Geisladisk posted:

Every year people act shocked that a company raises prices more or less in step with inflation.

*Laughs in Australia*

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's intended to stop a vehicle being used to span multiple pieces of terrain to shoot out of them all, whilst remaining in cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Improbable Lobster posted:

people always forget that most gw announcements are a handful of kits instead of a line refresh and get themselves overhyped and then disappointed when it isn't what they imagined.

Because they've learnt their lesson, there's purchaser fatigue - If you release a whole army at once, you don't sell as much as always having something new for forces every month. You lose out on the hype train, but do far better commercially.