Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm curious as to what's being counted as a chapter army.

Is it using the datasheets? Is it using the detachment rules? Is it both?

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

IIRC dark imperium was the one that was a mess of mixed sprues.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I just got stomped by a nice young lady and her greater chaos daemons.

Are there many space marine solutions to T10+ monsters beyond "get some more lascannons"?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Repulsor Eradicator was my primary thing but didn't get much use between Bel'lakor's aura and getting promptly Shalaxi Hellbane'd.

A whole lot of terminators was my intended backup but between me getting just absolute dogshit charge rolls and still wounding on 5s at best was an uphill struggle.

Best performance came from, of all things, a bunch of chainsword death company plus Lemartes nearly killing Bel'lakor through Oath of the Moment chip damage.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Also, since it was my first space marine game in 10th I came to the weird realization that there are a lot of units where the sergeant model doesn't get any special wargear and thus doesn't actually do anything.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Current plan:
-print an extra pair of terminator shield/hammer arms because lightning claws are doing me no favors right now.
-print myself a bunch of power fists and inferno pistols for the death company because there's literally no reason to keep their chainswords, and hope any updates don't gently caress over my DC modelling choices yet again.

-look into las-fusil Eliminators and maybe try to find a Lancer.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Something's been seeming off with the character terminator profiles and I realized its because they don't have capes which really makes them look too slim.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Honestly was thinking about crusade armies being a thing again since you're not really tied to paintjobs anymore outside of special characters.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The weird competing thoughts of "space marines players could stand to shut up about not getting new units" vs "there are still some really big unfilled niches compared to firstborn infantry"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Stephenls posted:

There's so few left now, though. You can almost reproduce the entire structure and general vibe of a Firstborn army now using just Primaris units.

So what's left? Vanguard vets, assault terminators, grav guns as a heavy weapon option somehow. A do-over on the missile launcher unit (not happening). Centurions. Maybe give Incercessors an upgrade sprue that gives them access to special and heavy weapons and let us make primaris tactical squads; put the intercessor sergeant melee weapon options on there while they're at it. And then beyond that, like... lieutenant and chaplain options in gravis armor, maybe? Anything else? I want to say phobos chaplain but visually, at least that niche is kinda filled by Reivers; likewise there's a phobos apothecary but he's just called a helix adept. What am I missing?

Pretty much just a proper Devastator squad equivalent imo.

The other big one for me was proper jump pack assault marines but that was just taken care of.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

heavy gravioli fettuccinoids

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I decided to get the urge to play Eldar out of my system before the expected nerfs and had a 2pt loss vs. Thousand Sons.

Was playing what I would think is a "fluffy" force (guardians in wave serpents, pair of fire prisms, 3 war walkers, windriders, wing autarch, warlocks, farseer, plus a bike version of both).

Like, the matchup maybe wasn't ideal but maybe the skill floor is overstated? Or more likely I've discovered the mythical bad eldar list.

Fate Dice- Feels like one of those things that would've been more impactful in a different matchup. Offensively, had no problem hitting and wounding with my big guns and everything else was high volume, with no crit effects so I barely used them for this. Defensively, this really wasn't a game where my opponent was making big hits- outside of some melee in the late game most of my stuff died to mortal wounds or to a super high volume of ap-1 wounds.
War Walkers- honestly rule because of their weird resilience. Mostly died from mortal wounds.
Fire Prisms- kinda did gently caress all. Magnus tanked everything on the focused shots, decided to switch it up later on and realized the dispersed profile is just a shuriken cannon with random shots (and thus bad for trying to shoot terminators with).
Wave Serpent- shooting kinda sucks now but also an unattended one *will* gently caress you up between blowing its shield and a tank shock.
Guardians- feel weird with a 4+ save, shuriken catapults for some reason no longer feel like the volume of fire weapon they used to be. I kinda miss 20-elf squads and the stratagems that boosted their resilience though.
Warlocks- the -2 to charge is clutch, and the not-heavy flamer is nice to have in your back pocket, now if I could only use my fate dice to roll number of attacks...
Farseers- I mean the utility is obvious. Glad Eldritch Storm is a usable thing again.
Autarch- the reaper launcher makes me sad.

Magnus took exactly one weapon hit the entire game. He died from the aforementioned suicide wave serpent and then a lowly guardian plonking a grenade at him.
This was just a consequence of my weapon selection (made back in 7e babeyyyy) but oh man I did not have the tools to deal with a brick of Terminators. I was *expecting* this to be a thing the Fire Prism's second profile would be good at but I didn't realize that they dropped the AP to -1.
Witchblades continue to be incredibly whelming.
Phantasm is so loving useful.
Sweet jesus my opponent's dice were running hot on his 4++s.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 6, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah I consciously left my wraithknight at home.

Feeling a little vindicated for that post I made a few months back about the eldars' internal balance being real loving wild though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the eldar index is ENORMOUS. It’s 126 pages. By comparison, TSons are 62, Sisters are 76, even CSM and Necrons (who each have lots of options) are only 106.

1- I mean its to be expected but more that there's a *lot* of what were previously bread-and-butter units that are mostly just cheap chaff/ablative wounds now propped up by stuff that synergizes so loving well with the faction ability that they're defining the meta.

2- Honest to god learning that necrons have that many options now is like a shock to my system and I regularly play the drat army. I need to get my brain out of 3rd edition.

3- feel like the aggressor silhouette would've looked better if their guns were slung under the wrists instead of on the side.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

He's why everyone hates Ultramarines and is responsible for the whole Grey Knights sororitas hats incident. He was also behind the Necron reboot.

His real crime was the 7e WHFB Daemons book though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Tzeentch Flamers specifically had a reputation.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Can fit a whole extra dreadnought or something in all my blood angels lists.

Conversely most of my eldar lists are like ~150 over.

Necrons army that was 2000pts on the dot last time is still 2000pts.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Just checked it, wow they wont even let you see the regular index data sheets, absolute scumbags lol.

Guess its time to uninstall the app!

what the actual gently caress

they never locked off datasheets for all of 9th.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is it possible the list builder just had the old items removed for the time being and will have the new items deployed on the official day of the codex release?

quote:

This release also contains all the datasheets, Detachments, points, and Enhancements from Codex: Tyranids. To access these additions, you’ll activate them using the unique code printed in your copy of the Codex.

This material replaces the current Tyranid Index on the app, and your existing lists will remain intact. Without a code, you’ll still be able to access the points values – as laid out in the most up-to-date Munitorum Field Manual – as well as the rules for Imperial Armour datasheets and the Tyranid Combat Patrol.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Seems to be the same setup as 9th. You can build a list but can't see the special rules or statlines unless you have a code from the physical book. Kinda dumb but not the worst I guess.

No this is worst than 9th because they never locked you out of seeing the basic statlines of the units and weapons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Tried eldar again this week post-nerf. 0-2 baby.

Was way too easy to get real overconfident with my (bad sword n shield) Wraithknight. Turns out they don't like taking a [sustained hits]'d Monolith Death Ray to the face regardless of their invuln.

I continue to have absolute poo poo luck with the Fire Prism cannons even *with* all my rerolls.

Asurmen is in this weird place where 6 S6 AP-3 D3 [devastating wounds] attacks is a really good profile but is countered by the fact that you *really* don't want Dire Avengers anywhere in combat, even if they got their CCWs back.

On the Necrons; I've been on both sides of Cryptothralls and they're still kinda ridiculous at their job. Also Szeras's ap-1/+1 aura seems really, really nice.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

the detachment rule being "once per game you get the old Oath of Moment rules" is giving me a bad feeling about the book giving us an alternative to the Gladius.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I do like the part where the article calls out that with the +1 strength bonus melta rifles will now actually be able to do the job they were ostensibly created for.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

death company all powerfists n melta pistols all the time

I don't expect that to last but at least it solved my previous problem of having all of them modeled with the now invalid bolters and chainsword loadout.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

They probably could've done a bit more consolidating some units' weapon options into a single profile.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

give all leman russ chassis' a piece of wargear that allows them to advance and shoot, which is replaced when you take sponsons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I want to make fun of the tentacle case but also realize there's like a bunch of insanely fiddly gw models its probably perfect for.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Gonna be a situation like the original Intercessors where the sergeant only got their weapon options added to the datasheet as the chapter upgrade sprues came out.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

it is by far the best flying base they currently have

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Its just a venerable dreadnought now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

DG seem like they're loving miserable to play against with certain armies.

Just having flashbacks to 8e guard players talking about playing against Alaitoc.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

Neat, my favorite missions in RTS' are always "hold out for X amount of time" and that particular mission in the first chunk of the Terran campaign of SC1 is one of the best. Playing a Warhammer version of it would be fun

Those were the coolest looking DoW2 missions, too.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

sweet jesus just adding your address to the new store is a loving ordeal.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Admech's felt like a long string of disappointments since their 7th edition incarnation where they technically weren't even a single faction.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

*looking at admech previews* "how are they gonna salvage this mess?"

*looking at necrons previews* "they're already pretty solid how are they gonna ruin things?"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

loving lol

the weird space marine transport armor rules continue to be the dumbest thing.

They finally put in an exception that allows tacticus characters leading firstborn marines ride in rhinos and razorbacks.

Meanwhile a tacticus squad lead by Vulkan He'stan loses access to a transport because he is too short to ride in an Impulsor.

The specific weird thing is from what I can tell all of the other remaining non-terminator firstborn characters in the codex got tacticus except for him.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm honestly kinda surprised that they haven't done a FAQ or index update for the divergent space marine chapters since the Codex came out.

just saw it pointed out that removing jump pack assault basically turns blood angels into a RAW nightmare where half the index's units can no longer take leaders.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

rantmo posted:

And Leaders that can only lead one unit that nobody takes. Captain Tycho is down to only being able to lead Tactical Marines and Dante can only lead Sanguinary Guard.

Yeah theres a separate, deeper problem from release where the index has a bunch of melee beatstick characters who can mostly only lead squads who don't want to be anywhere near melee.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I decided to be the most insufferable jerk a few weeks back during a 1000+1000 doubles tournament and played a lychguard brick plus a transcendent c'tan with the fnp enhancement.

the only thing that permanently died the entire tournament was the c'tan.

Was fun but I'm kinda glad those combos are getting yeeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

A project I'm considering for the new year is to order a bunch of Les Grognards and give Leonitus one of the bicorne heads from the command box.