Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Me, rubbing my hands with the intention of posting all of my opinions yet again before I am dragged away by the GW police: "They should delete half the armies in the game."

Professor Shark posted:

I wish they would get rid of the xenophobic bent they gave the Tau because a united collection of xenos would be really cool. I know they have a few options, but they should just embrace it and offer a wider variety imo

Everything with the Tau in the lore feels like an overcorrection due to their bad reception when they came out. We coulda had psychic polar bears, human auxilleries, all sorts of models, and we just get more and more battlesuits instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels less like an overcorrection and more at them looking at what sold the most.

The fact that Stormsurges and Riptides sold in any amount is a crime imo. Ugly rear end models.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Vespid look really squat and goofy, and when I snag a squad I'll definitly go for a 3d printed option. Kroot could use a refresh but I kinda wnana see everything get off of that finecast as well, which includs stuff like the Firesight team and a bunch of Ethereal special characters iirc,

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just because I have to rave about it somewhere, I've been listening to The Infinite and The Divine and I should be finishing it this weekend.

It's been FANTASTIC. :allears:

Spoiler: Realizing why the planet is going to be destroyed and watching all of the pieces fall into place has been beautiful.

I finished it yesterday and despite a few flaws it's a really really fun read/listen. The author has a lot of fun, especially when he gets to do Orks.

Spoiler: I could hear the Always Sunny theme start playing when the planetary governess got popped in the back of the head. "Trazyn Starts a Genestealer Cult."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Good. gently caress imperial knights.

Give Railguns anti-titanic :getin:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Athas posted:

I've read the rulebook now and it all seems pretty simple (except having to memorise all the minor variations in weapons). Even played a tiny test battle with my Custodes against my wife's Harlequins. Enjoyable! Some things that struck me as odd:

Why is AP granted a position on the main weapon statblock, rather than being a weapon ability like Melta x, Rapid Fire x, etc? Many weapons have AP0 anyway, which would be equivalent to not having this ability. Am I missing some subtlety about the implications of a statistic being on the main stat block?

Speaking of AP, I found it awkward to think of AP-1 as reducing my dice roll by 1. Instead I think of it as increasing my save by 1. Numerically this is the same, but is there some subtlety I'm missing?

AP has been on the statline since forever. It used to be a flat value that would cancel any save of the same value or worse (iirc). So a Tau Fire Warrior with his Strength 5 AP5 Rifle would blow through Guardsmen or Tyranid gribblies but a Marine would still get their save. It comes up enough that its worth having on the statline, as opposed to treating it like one of the more conditional abilities.

If thinking about AP that way helps then go for it, but you should be aware that there is a difference between dice modifiers and stat modifiers. Dice modifiers cap out at +1 or -1, with the biggest exception being the Armor save, where AP can go beyond -1. Stat modifiers aren't capped afaik, but the main thing is that you can stack a dice mod and a stat mod. For example, a Hammerhead tank can't get two sources of +1 to hit (which is the dice roll). But since the army ability "For The Greater Good" modifies the Ballistic Skill stat, you can take its railgun from needing a 4+ to hit to a 2+ to hit. (Technically a 3+ BS with a +1 to hit).

So you need to be sure you don't mix these up, if you're going to think of it that way. Stuff like this isn't spelt out and I've definitely surprised one person at games club with the above For The Greater Good interaction.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Cyouni posted:

I'll note that the dice modifiers cap is explicitly only on hit/wound. So if you had multiple sources of +1 armour save (All is Dust + cover from last edition, for instance) then it'd still work.

Ah, you're correct. I was mixing it up with Age of Sigmar where they had to stop people stacking save modifiers to make some of the god characters nigh unkillable, iirc.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm the complete inverse, I love assembling and seeing My Dude come to life, and painting is miserable especially cos I picked the box colour scheme for my Tau.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The hope is that they add extra detatchments and update index armies as the codexes roll out, so at leats there's some choice and index armies don't fall below parity.

The expectation is lol, lmao

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I hope they double down on the no costs for wargear. I'm very happy with not having to loving nickle and dime 5 or 10 points on crisis suits over and over to try and hit the magic limit. +20 points for a shield drone get out of here

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I play in a league and tournaments, you don't know what your opponent is going to bring until you're matched, and even then you'll just know "Tyranids".

The argument of playing with your mates is that there was only ever like 6 strats that were used frequently for each army anyway and if all you ever do is play with your mate you'll learn them in time anyway.

Alternatively when your lost is 20 points short and there's literally nothing in your army that costs 20 points what do you do?

From a Grey Knight perspective if I end up with a 2K list that is 50 points short, I either by an enhancement I don't need and won't even spend the full amount, or basically re-write the list.

I find that way more frustrating than "Oh I'm X points under/over let's just throw in a random power weapon/trim some stuff off.

Daft argument really, no offence. If you played against my Grey Knights or CSM with then 30+ stratagems in the book you'd have never really needed to learn more than about 8 maximum. Unless your friend completely wrote radically different lists each game in which case they can do the same now and you need to learn 36. On top of that if you're framing it in the context of playing against the same people and they are a friend a) they shouldn't sucker punch you with a strat and b) you wouldn't fall for it twice.

I think the WarCom article said/implied 6 per detachment. It's possible there's core army ones and ones for detachments hut I doubt it.

Mark my words, one of two things will happen:

1) turns out GW balance is still shite and even though each codex gets 6 detachments only 1 or 2 will ever be optimal and you only ever learn the 6/12 for those. It will feel simplified but the detachment system will be a total waste.

2) the detachments are relatively balanced and every single army has about 24 stratagems that will see play depending on the detachment and people who feel its "too complicated" now will say nothings changed.
I didn't read any of this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Probably for the best, you wouldn't have had anything clever or interesting to say even if you had. Would have been a huge waste of your time!

I wouldn't count any of the tedious screeds you post as clever or interesting so don't start patting yourself on the back yet.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Roller Coast Guard posted:

On the other hand, without the balancing tool of points values there's only one configuration that matters, the dataslates for your Crisis Suits may as well just say they come with triple ions, shield generators and shield drones, and every other option be erased from the options list.

So I guess I'm rolling back to this but

I do not think that endlessly tweaking points values actually helps. I've observed a weird thing where you can jack points values up or down and people will still consider it the optimal loadout. Obviously it's graded more on a curve and points efficiency is a thing. But if it's the best gun to put on the suits then people will do it and adjust the list elsewhere, as Ions are just that good. Ask an Eldar player right now what their limit on how much a Wraithknight costs would be!

Also, and this is just a personal thing. I can't imagine making each Ion blaster worth 20 points a pop or whatever the limit is is a satisfying way to balance things. I would rather make the other guns have something going on, especially with Tau in the state it is right now where we have a dearth of all of these fun weapon keywords. Make burst cannons have Sustained, tweak Missile Pod AP, whatever it takes. Hell, maybe represent the actual situation of the weapons on the sprue and limit each suit to one Ion. They did the same for the dreadful Airburst Frag Launcher!

Decorus posted:

I was missing a pair of Field Ordnance guns for my IG Combat Patrol. I'm not a huge fan of the patrol's wargear selections, so both guns are modular and can be armed with any of the options. I decided to keep the crew posed neutrally enough to work with any of the options, though I'm not particularly happy about it.

I just realized I've forgotten to add battery insignia on the crew patches, I'll fix that later. They'll join my small existing artillery platoon formation, I'm going to kit bash a few new models to re-equip the infantry to the Combat Patrol specification. I guess I'll have to scratch build a Sentinel plasma cannon too. I'm too bad at this game to add non-wysiwyg models to the whole mess. :)

Not an IG guy but these look excellent, good job.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

All guns costing the same thing (i.e 0) would be cool if they could manage to make each gun actually about as good, but at different things. In some cases this would be fairly easy (i.e this is the anti big thing gun, this is the anti lots of small things gun), but for models with just a silly amount of options that would be extremely difficult.

I should be asleep but instead I'm doing this;

• Burst Cannons and Flamers are both the "high shot low str/ap anti infantry gun", so I can imagine they could be condensed. Flamer has torrent if that matters.
  • plasma and ion are the "mid-strength anti heavy infantry gun"
  • fusion is the melta option
  • missile pods exist? Pivot to long range anti-light-vehicle somehow
  • the airburst is a funny joke you tell your friends but it has indirect on I guess

So realistically you could condense four guns to two on that list before you start going hog wild or just restarting from scratch.

Funnily enough they condensed all the support systems to "fall back and shoot", "ignore to hit penalties on guns" and shield generators. So it's not infeasible they just chose not to I guess

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
No mechanics or dataslate updates for Tau but lots of tasty points drops. Big fan of fireblade/Breacher/Devilfish now only being 205 points instead of 240 points.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Base rim needs a little cleaning up but got drat that's awesome

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
He's just a demon prince

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't think there is any value in attempting to emulate, in any shape or form, the QTE final boss at the end of Space Marine 1 in a game of Warhammer 40,000. That is not one of the positive things people remember about that game. This entire thing is baffling in concept from the start. "Ah yes, let's remind everyone who played Space Marine of the part everyone made fun of."

But also if you have to do it, yeah just make it part of the scenario and then he can just be a demon prince outside of the scenario. Also I dread to think how GW rules designers would attempt to emulate QTEs in Warhammer.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

ro5s posted:

It’d pair well with servo skulls - launching a desperate assault to move the general’s drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to the enemy.

This reads as a weird extended animal house style prank where those boys from Unit C Fourth Platoon are pranking the mean commissar by giving the enemy his alcohol

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Its because 40k has 30+ playable armies and there are just not enough ways to be distinct. Do you want the elite melee, the elite melee or the elite melee faction? How about the shooting focused bad at melee faction or the shooting focused bad at melee faction? And if that's too tricky for you we have sixteen different varieties of space marine, including three different flavours of "Better than regular space marines".

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm preordering that Krrot box. The rules could be absolute dogshit, I don't care. beak boyz assemble.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I spent like ten minutes trying to type up a thesis but the long and short of it is that its less that the d6 is the problem and more that GW is trying to include men in flak jackets, post-human combat operators, demons, tanks and giant robots in the same game and the attempts to reconcile all of it are going to lead to some weird choices that aren't really going to be solved by making the tank guns roll a bigger dice

Although if they went that way i could see them selling Black templar themed d10s for £15 a bag

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Delete knights, all superheavies, all flyers, and any remaining vehicle/monster bigger than say, land raider, wraithlord, battlewagon, etc

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just glue the guns i like on and then lie about them. Nobody can stop me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
In all seriousness this is probably the way to go for the crisis suit, there's no point to being a unit with a flexible loadout if the answer people come up with every time is "3 ion blasters lol" so might as well divide them up into datasheets with real roles. the commanders remaining flexible will probably result in some nonsense but who cares

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
As someone who has had to fight a Spartan with eight lascannon shots that should be four twin -linked lascannons, everyone who says it should be double shots can go straight to hell

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Only four detachments huh? Weird that they couldn't pull another two out of their rear end. Montka and Retaliation Cadre look tasty tho

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm gonna call a preemptive RIP to aun'shi and aun'va but I'll be happy if aun'shi survives. I remmeber trying so hard to get him to work in 3rd edition and being disaapointed that no, he couldn't fight a carnifex solo

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I hate the idea of good models being retired.

How does a hologram model even fight, though?

Aun'shi was the one Ethereal who got/gets his hands dirty and his model was alright for a little metal thing. I hope he gets re-engineered or something. According to the battlefleet gothic book he was leading an expedition to reclaim the farsight enclaves so if you wanted an excuse to bring him back that'd do it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If they release an Ordo Chronos character I need them to have an ability that shuts down time shenanigans with a "no, this is the date according to this calender and gently caress you" ability. Just someone so mad that we left the lunar calendar that it affects the world around them.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Got my hunting pack preorder in. No queue, surprisingly.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If elysians return then all is forgiven

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm in the middle of magnetising an Enforcer commander without a pin vice for my drill bits and my fingers hate me but I've done it and also I'll never bother again either

E: like its a fun and cool project to do but when everything is at the whim of whatever unpaid GW intern is doing the new edition then you might as well do whatever guns you think are sickest

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Tau dice are fuckin awful, 10/10

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I am thinking of getting some Cadians or Kaskirn for my Tau, either as a strike team or with some 3d printed gav chutes to represent Vespid.

Maybe glue some jestpacks to some Primaris Infiltrators for stealth suits :devil:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't know where people rate Josh Reynolds because I read Soul Wars and it was dreck. Granted he was working with the blank slate of the Stormcast instead of the 40+ years of space marines or whatever, but it was just intermenable poo poo happening for way too long and then it ended very suddenly in the middle of the big final battle.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So with the Ork codex being apparently good and memories of George Dellapina's Speed Freeks in my head*, I gotta ask - where would you start collecting a vehicle based Speed Freeks/Kult of Speed army? The combat patrol options don't really appeal to me but it does seem to be excruciating collecting one Boomdakka Snazzwagon at a time.

*Look at this poo poo, this rules

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Tau codex is on the app, and oh boy, the points are poopy. I'm crossing my fingers that the munitorum manual is out soon with a confirmation, but hopes are low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Kroot are guardsmen with stealth and scout, so I personally don't rate them at 75 points.

One change I do like is the montka change - instead of this weird unworkable thing where you got assault for being guided, you now have everything be assault and then get lethal hits from being guided. It flows better, puts the emphasis on the spotting mechanic again, and means Breachers can't casually pick up whatever they point at (as easily)