Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Okay, I've read most of the core rule book. . . how do I build an army?

I want to put together a 500 or 1000 point DKoK army so I have an idea of what to work towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So since DKoK doesn't have any characters (as far as I can tell) I just gotta grab some rando from the list?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Stephenls posted:

Yeah, named characters are now keyworded as "Epic Heroes." "Character" mostly just means "Dude what can walk around on his own, not part of a unit." A Space Marine Captain, for example, is a character.

DKoK are Astra Militarum, so you'd need the Astra Militarum index cards and for your DKoK specific options you'd want the Imperial Armor: Astra Militarum Part 1 cards. Very first unit in the latter is the Death Korps Marshal, kinda designed as a potential warlord for DKoK forces.

Oh, thank you. I had the regular index cards but I didn't know about the Armor: Astra Militarum cards.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a good way to post lists?

DKoK One (945 points)
Astra Militarum
Incursion (1000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTER

Death Korps Marshal (60 points)
• Warlord
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon

BATTLELINE

Death Korps of Krieg (130 points)
• 2x Death Korps Watchmaster
• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
• 18x Death Korps Trooper
• 18x Close combat weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
15x Lasgun
2x Meltagun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Chainsword
1x Plasma pistol
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
1x Flamer
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Sniper rifle
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
2x Grenade launcher
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

OTHER DATASHEETS

Armoured Sentinels (140 points)
• 2x Armoured Sentinel
• 2x Close combat weapon
2x Hunter-killer missile
2x Militarum multi-laser
2x Sentinel chainsaw

Earthshaker Carriage Battery (80 points)
• 1x Battery close combat weapons
1x Earthshaker cannon

Earthshaker Carriage Battery (80 points)
• 1x Battery close combat weapons
1x Earthshaker cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank (195 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
2x Heavy flamer
1x Heavy stubber
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Lascannon
1x Leman Russ battle cannon

How's this?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Suggestion -

The carriage battery is a forgeworld only offering - though you can get proxies for it.

If you're just starting out, I would suggest avoiding forgeworld units, as they're likely to be dropped from future codexes.

I would try to stick to units that are on standard indexes, so the units you buy now are still playable in future editions.
But..... Big gun..

Big gun cool!!

Okay replace it with.. field ordinance batteries maybe?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Okay feeling better about this!

DKoK One (980 points)
Astra Militarum
Incursion (1000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (75 points)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• Warlord
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
• Enhancement: Grand Strategist
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close combat weapon
4x Lasgun
4x Laspistol
1x Master Vox
1x Medi-pack
1x Regimental Standard
• 1x Veteran Heavy Weapons Team
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Heavy bolter
1x Laspistol

BATTLELINE

• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
15x Lasgun
2x Meltagun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Chainsword
1x Plasma pistol
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
1x Flamer
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Sniper rifle
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
2x Grenade launcher
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

OTHER DATASHEETS

Armoured Sentinels (210 points)
• 3x Armoured Sentinel
• 2x Close combat weapon
2x Hunter-killer missile
2x Militarum multi-laser
2x Sentinel chainsaw

Leman Russ Battle Tank (195 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
2x Heavy flamer
1x Heavy stubber
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Lascannon
1x Leman Russ battle cannon

Wyvern (110 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
1x Heavy bolter
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Wyvern quad stormshard mortar

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Nice list, it also helps that the veteran guardsmen kits are going on sale again so you should be good to go.

What do you mean by on sale? Like discounted? They're already still selling the plastic kits for kill team right?

I'm going through finishing up some forgeworld DKoK guys and... It's kinda a nightmare. The gulf between my feelings on these models before and after painting them is incredible.

I also really struggle with the arms that are in multiple pieces and the absolute zero instructions present with those guys

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oh, I thought that was what you meant but every GW store in Tokyo I've been has had the kill team sets. Didn't realize it was rare or selling out or anything.

For the DKoK squads it says it's going to be 9 troops to a watch master. Do I need to specify that one guy is a watch master? There's no like specific models so do I just gussy him up extra?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 20, 2023

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What is a "Slant List"?

oh is it a version of:

quote:

Skew List

Creating an army that has a heavily favored match-up into a certain meta.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 25, 2023

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm building the base for a DKoK Heavy stubber team. I decided to leave their backpacks and lasguns off the two crewmen using the gun since I wanted to let those suspenders shine, and I figured they deserved a rest from the heavy backpacks.

I've glued a pack and lasgun against a dirt berm on the base, but only one. Does that mean if they get engaged at close range then they'll legally only be able to shoot a single lasgun? Are people that anal about WYSWYG

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm almost done with another DKoK unit and about to do my field ordinance batteries next. Gotta say that the prospect of doing my first conversion of regular old IG guys to DKoK guys is a bit daunting and I'm not really sure where to start.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

But subjecting myself, and everyone else that I would play with to that many miniatures seems insane.

More infantry.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I bought two Field Odnance Batteries because I thought each kit built a field cannon and either a las cannon or rocket launcher. I did not realize one kit would build two field cannon. Oops!

Is there anyway to get a hold of just like, spare carriages or something? I'd love to not just let these extra guns go to waste.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Uhhh how'd it get over there?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 3, 2023

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, I know I just said I wasn't going to buy Guard stuff, but I did see that you can buy a third party resin Chimera for less than twenty bucks shipped:

https://www.modelsandminis.com/AGRIUS_WHEELED_TROOP_TRANSPORT/p2965327_19287671.aspx

I don't like working with Resin but it's a great price and I even prefer the aesthetic of the wheeled design.

I ordered some stuff from him in September and still haven't seen in. When I asked about where they were he said that he was just finishing up casting some things and was going to send them out the next night. That was in October. I've heard nothing from him since.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm so close to having my 1,000 point army done. So close.

Here is a joke I thought of last night

quote:

Call my wallet the Death Korp the way ¥30,000 goes out for the night and only ¥5,000 comes back.

Hope you liked it!

I just got done reading one of the warhammer wiki entries on the Siege of Vraks and as far as I can tell they literally transcribed the relevant books into a single article? Its like 80,000 words.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Give lord solar that Gaddaffi drip

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I do actually Lord Solar looks good for what he is supposed to be. I don't you can get away with adding a mountain of awards and decorations to him because the general with a gently caress-ton of decorations ends up reading more villainous than I think Lord Solar is supposed to be.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Well he's the top commander of the army of unwilling conscripts serving the megafascist death cult government, he can read as a little villainous imo

I suppose when I say villainous what I specifically mean is incompetent and self-aggrandizing. The kind of general who invents new medals to give themselves. I can imagine some dipshit noble regimental advisor who leads from another planet entirely would be covered in medals. He is a commander, but not a good or worthy one.

I imagine that for someone like Lord Solar they want a leader who actually kicks rear end and his authority is matched by his skill and ability. He can and should be villainous in the sense that he will send millions to die in a war, but he won't be villainous in that he'll send them to die in a charge of light brigade.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm painting guard figures right now.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Maybe its just because of the scale of the vehicles being used but that looks like a loving knife-fight.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm surprised they haven't released a big pdf of 100 table layouts with lore and all the correct GamesWorkshop Brand terrain models to plop down onto it. Or like, publish a table layout per white dwarf magazine or something like that. Theres a ton of easy and fun ways to do that. Have any fans done that idea yet?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

How does proxying work exactly? I know that most normal people won't care and that GW stores and tournies say official models only. My field ordinance batteries are the official guns but have 3d printed proxy crewmen, does that make it illegal?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

That set does inexplicably use the same arm piece for an NCO with a bolter and a plasma gunner so you have to kitbash if you want both of them

I think the worst part is that the arm for the plasma gun and the meltagun are the same and you only get one. I need both goddamnit!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Testikles posted:

So I've gone all in on a Snakebites Ork army. Had to get a trukk for my Nobz but I want to give it that Beast Snagga feel. Any recommendations on what bits I could hunt down to get some pelts, bones, horns, or teeth?

Edit: even some terms to google just so I'm getting stuff at the right size.

You've got plenty of teeth in your mouth to start with.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

My bone style I did with my Darkest Dungeon guys is to prime black, sloppy dry brush an off-white, and then hit it with the GW skeleton hoard contrast. Ends up with a pretty cool scratchy effect.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Got invited to a local 40k group and I'm playing my first 500 point game this Sunday! Sounds like they also have other new players so I won't be alone in my cluelessness. They're playing 9th edition tho so I have to make a new IG list and also find the books to learn to play ahead of time.

I'm thinking of running a platoon squad, two armored sentinels, tank commander, and two krieg squads. Take that doctrine that let's my vehicles have objective secures to make up for my small amount of ground troops.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Sephyr posted:

From my experience playing against them, sentinels seem really good. Cheap, fast, can help you spread out and score secondaries, and you need to direct a non-insignificant bit of firepower at them to get rid of one.

I know that one of the players is using custodes and I'm a bit nervous about how their super soldiers will be able to chew through my little idiots. I'm wondering if the pro-strat is to just speed around them and capture all the points with sentinels or to try to push wounds through with Born Soldiers. Since its an automatic wound that means that the custodes can't simply save against it, right? Not really sure how this all works.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Played my first ever game of Warhammer and won!

2 (IG, custodes) v 2 (CSM, Drukhari)

The custodes bravely gave their lives nearly to a man to shield the Death Korp from direct enemy attacks. Three Kiregsmen gave their lives. RIP.

Also hooollly poo poo that leman Russ tank commander is scary. It fully tanked 1.5 squads of CSM + their warlord in both shooting and melee and managed to disengage and survive.

Really want to go re-highlight all my minis now, kinda thinking having the primary color be such a dark blue was a bit of a mistake.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Question regarding "Artillery and Crew" tagged models, specifically in regards to the 9th edition Heavy Mortar Batteries / Heavy Quad Launcher Batteries.

It says "Each [unit] and its crew are treated as a single model for all rules purposes (crew models must remain within 1" of their Heavy Mortar model)". Also it says that the arty pieces themselves "use model" as a base. Can I still put the arty piece on a base and have the crew members on the base as well, or do they have to remain separate?

Also the guys I'm playing with are still doing 9th since its two newbs (me and another), a returning player, a 20 year player who seems to be disgruntled by the flattening of options done by 10th. Like the wargear making everything samey and getting in the way of unique armies and all that. I have no horse in the race considering I've only played one game so far.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The main reason I want to model all the greebly wargear is to do stupid poo poo with magnets if I'm being honest. Yeah let me fire this hunter killer and pull it off the model because magnets. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's cool, but I don't care they're my toys I can do what I want.

I magnatized the middle on a chimera I'm.builfimg and I'm looking forward to plucking it off and yeeting it straight into my opponents army getting me kicked out of the game store for life.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I dunno it sounds more like a man may die so that a bunch of others shall also die.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm excited for female space Marines because who cares and gently caress the chuds but I really do not think that, after all the transforming done to make a person into a space marine, that there is any gender left. These walking fridges might appear male to our simple eyes but in reality their gender is Space Marine.

And, not to reduce gender to simply genitals, but there's no way any of them have any hogs either. That space could be used better for a third liver or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

If a player has a few points less than their oppenent the oppenent should have to say something nice to them once a turn.