Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gambrinus posted:

When were Dark Eldar invented? (I don't mean in-universe, I mean in Nottingham).

I haven't played 40k properly since 2nd edition when I was a kid.

There were Rogue Trader troops that could arguably be called Dark Eldar, or Pirate Eldar, or some combination of both. That would have been in 1988. In 1998 Dark Eldar were released and received their first codex. Dark Eldar did not receive another codex until 12 years later in 2010.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2023/02/warhammer-40k-retro-meet-the-original-1988-eldar-armylist.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I prefer the longer edition timeframe. 3 years is a very short amount of time for them to get things in a good place and closed to balanced, and pretty much as soon as they start getting there they throw most of it away and start over again. 6+ years and multiple codices during an edition would be fine, especially if the codices are just the updated and balanced army list for the faction or better yet focused on a subfaction with a quick chart and update for the older models in the line.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Coronzom posted:

I’ve been out of 40k for a while. How do squad markings work with primaris marines now? It used to be 1-6 are tactical, 7-8 assault, 9-10 devastator. But there’s way more than 2 tours of fire support and assault now. Does each squad just swap between being intercessors or heavy intercessors and hellblasters or inceptors etc.? I always liked the older school Blood Angel look with all the markings but not sure what that’s supposed to be anymore.

They seem to keep introducing new Primaris marines all the time so I would think that the numbers might not be set in stone at this time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You can use clamps to help secure a board to a table if you do end up having the edge of the board go over one set of sides of the table.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to paint it, but don't want to flock it because that is a lot of effort, you can get spray wall texture at the hardware store, like orange peel wall texture and spray that first and then paint to give a bit of visual variation without a lot of effort.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Scale has always been an issue with numerous sci fi properties, and 40k seems to be no exception.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A lot of the sprue optimization also really minimizes the amount of mold lines and clean up, so there are some advantages to the optimization more than cost.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I find plastic much more enjoyable to put together than resin, and I say that as someone who is pretty big into 3d printing and my resin models come out way easier to assemble than most commercial/forgeworld stuff.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is probably worth waiting for the full release of the Tyranid and SM codex before we start making final judgements about 10th. That being said these books were written before launch so they won't address any balance issues, and if anything will likely exacerbate them. But then again, we need to wait and see. The leaks and previews do seem to indicate that the codex is more important to an army than the 8th to 9th edition change. This seems unfortunate, especially if they stick to a 3 year cycle for editions. As mentioned before Guard got hosed really bad last edition, codex and rules wise, and we can imagine they or another faction will get equally hosed this edition in a 3 year cycle.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Do they have a published/estimated order for when the codexes come out?

Off a quick google, it looks like they showed a roadmap through spring 2024, but it's a pretty limited amount of armies. If they're rotating every 3 years for editions and invalidate other codexes, does that mean that in the previously posted example the imperial guards finally got their detailed stuff, then immediately weren't able to use it again?

I play mostly guard so I can answer that; a large portion of their codex was invalidated with the switch to 10th just a few months after the release of their book. The sting from this is lessened in that their free rules were released at the start of 10th. Perhaps Guard is heavily impacted by the changes in 10th so they feel it more. Guard historically has had a lot of unique subfactions and armies that make up the guard with unique styles and whatnot, and that was removed with 10th, for all armies. The worrying part is that it appears from the Tyranid codex leaks that the codexes will introduce subfactions again, but call them detachments instead, but the point is roughly the same; using the same models but having army wide rules that modify how they play. Perhaps encouraging a different selection of models than normal. So it stands to reason that the books released late in 9th edition are likely to also be released late in 10th edition, which will be frustrating for Guard players.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ah gotcha, that's good to know. So otherwise it sucks that you get it so late, but you can keep using the same codex for awhile afterwards which is nice.

Man the competitive warhammer subreddit is pretty much on fire with I guess the Aeldar army being insanely better than anything else? Is that due to just a fundamental design thing? Or is it just a numbers thing?

Games Workshop has historically struggle with balance issues, likely due to some fault of theirs but also compounded by the sheer number of units and modifiers in the game making things more complex. I heard that they used to have a beta test group that would try out the new rules but they stopped that due to leaks. So that exacerbated the balance problems. Eldar have historically been high performing, but an issue with 10th edition is that some of their abilities are very overpowered. In fact one of the first erratas that was released toned down one of their signature abilities, but that just brought the power level down from God-like to Really Good. Unfortunately it seems to even a casual player that this was completely unbalanced so it brings into question how GW attempted to balance 10th edition. Perhaps they had different team members that had limited interaction design some armies, but not others. 10th edition has seen some armies become very underwhelming, especially Admech and Death Guard. That being said, Admech was kind of a rollercoaster for the last edition, and Death Guard have been on a steady decline since they were the featured enemy faction in the 8th edition starter box.

Sometimes the competitive scene numbers can be slightly skewed by high skill players chasing the meta and running a certain army more. For example, right now with Eldar having an advantage many high skill players are playing that army, which leads to their win rate being very high due to two factors, the balance and a potential miss-match in skill level between the average Eldar player and average opponent. Sometimes the corrections for this introduced by GW align the tournament scene to be more fair but has a more profound impact on casual players of that army. 9th Edition Admech saw some changes to prevent a few OP strategies from dominating the tournament scene, but it had an overall negative impact to the standard Admech player that was not quite so focused.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wrr posted:

I'm building the base for a DKoK Heavy stubber team. I decided to leave their backpacks and lasguns off the two crewmen using the gun since I wanted to let those suspenders shine, and I figured they deserved a rest from the heavy backpacks.

I've glued a pack and lasgun against a dirt berm on the base, but only one. Does that mean if they get engaged at close range then they'll legally only be able to shoot a single lasgun? Are people that anal about WYSWYG

Soldiers don't fight with their packs if they can help it, so the pack being off is reasonable.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Man what if they actually announce space hulk in 9 hours

That would be something, although, I hate to say it, I think GW needs to cool it on some of the auxiliary products. I think it would benefit them to focus their efforts on their core games right now, especially 40k and balance and rules issues. Not to mention some of the production issues they had, although I am not sure if those have been alleviated by the Leviathan launch.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

can't wait to see the new Primaris Interlopers, Primaris Intracators, and the Primaris Infracaptors

You know it is the start of Fall when you see the first Primaris Spice Latte being advertised.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Stephenls posted:

There were eight Tyranid kits, so there'll probably be eight Space Marine kits.

-Multipose Infernus Marines, probably with some sort of special or heavy weapon option that one guy in five can have that makes the kits in the intro sets suboptimal because they're missing out on the one guy with the heavy flamer. Who's free now, because wargear variants don't cost points, so the monopose kits from Leviathan and the intro really are strictly suboptimal.
-Multipose Terminators. Maybe it's separate kits for Terminators and Assault Terminators, maybe it's one kit. Hard to say! I am guessing separate kits.
-Multipose new Sternguard Veterans.
-Some sort of Ballistus kit, maybe just the easy to build one repackaged on its own or maybe a multipose one or maybe even they're announcing that they're repackaging the Redemptor with new arm options and a higher price. (My wild guess is that for now, the Ballistus kit will just be the monopose one from Leviathan, and then that will disappear around the launch of 11th edition in favor of a repackaged Redemptor kit that comes with the Ballistus arm options, because unlike brutalis, the ballistus has identical legs to the redemptor.)

That's four or five. The Terminators might count as one or two, and the Ballistus kit either counts as zero or one because if it's like the tyranid reveal, "separate release of existing monopose kit from Leviathan" doesn't count against the eight new kits being announced.

I saw rumors of new scouts somewhere but I don't believe them. At the very least I think if we were getting a new Space Marine Initiates kit to replace the now Legends-ed Scouts it'd be a Kill Team, not part of this wave. I'd love to have new Space Marine Initiates as a kit, because Raven Guard, but I don't expect them.

So... guesses.

-Multipose Primaris Vanguard Vets, but they're in units of 3 instead of 5 because the jump pack takes up a lot of space on the sprue (I do not want this outcome I want units of 5, please give me units of five primaris vanguard vets and let them take lightning claws, I want to paint them as Raven Guard).

-Some sort of other jump pack thing because they have the design for the Mark X Tacticus jump packs now; we've seen them in the Space Marine II footage. Maybe a multibuild kit that lets you build an equivalent of the old jump pack assault marines or suppressors (finally). Alternately they put out one multibuild kit that can make Primaris Vanguard Veterans or jump pack assault non vet marines, but that seems unlikely, "Fancy decorated bodies for the vanguard vets" seems like something they'd spend an entire kit release on.

-Some sort of bigger thing, like a new tank, or... I don't know, storm speeder transport equivalent to replace the Land Speeder Storm? The Storm Speeder Storm?

You left out the Primaris Lieutenant.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels like he'd just get a WarCom post about being available on his own than a streamer announcement, unless he joins the vaunted club of multi-part Lieutenants.

It is funny because I meant it as a joke that they were going to release yet another Lt. but I forgot they have another Lt. to release already!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe we will get a hot new rank, the Primaris 2nd Lieutenant. Or maybe the Primaris Major.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

Nothing non-vanilla will be released for the vanilla SM codex launch. (I realize you also surely know this)

I think there is an off chance they might release something for one of the SM chapters that is not big enough to recieve their own codex. The combat patrol army list for SMs already has been released and has models from Leviathan and the starter box, which many people already purchased. So if I was marketing this I would have a few of the releases work well together and be themed around one of the detachments in the new codex. Say, for example, we have the version of Primaris devestators come out and the melee or multipart terminator kit, and in addition to selling those models individually they release a Combat Patrol Imperial Fist or something like that. I mean, maybe not likely, but I could see it happening. Although if that were the case we probably would have seen a combat patrol that utilizes all the new necron models themed around one of their detachments.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Am i wrong for thinking that i like the look and feel of the inceptors more than the new assault marines?

I also like the Inceptors better, they convey the sense of flying and movement a lot better. The new jumpack assault marines are so similar to assault primaris that I am not really enthused about them.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm starting to price out options for picking up my first models.

I know I want to start with a combat patrol, or at least that's my understanding from my earlier posts + the OP and the fact that I wanna build the sisters of battle stuff cause they look real cool

But is there a place like MTG goldfish for warhammer, where I can see what people are usually putting in their armies? I'm going to budget it out and figure out what I want to get, plus honestly I'll probably put stuff in that I think looks cool over trying to be fully competitive, but as a new player it's nice to have some examples to look at as well! A casual google didn't turn up too much,

This and the goonhammer article I mentioned when I first posted about a week ago seems like a decent place to start: https://woehammer.com/2021/08/17/a-beginners-starter-army-for-sisters-of-battle/

And I can for sure do the math myself, but my goal is to add things I like to the combat patrol to get to 1k over time so that I can really play with other people. There's just so much choice and only so much money so I want to focus my efforts (especially since I'll need to buy the other basics and paint and stuff)

Warhammer is a pretty expensive hobby so it is helpful to know some tips and tricks. One such thing is that there is a price difference between regions, not just due to currency fluctuations but GW's marketing strategy. This, combined with price fluctuations can sometimes result in really good deals, especially after Liz Truss destroyed the pound. For example, the Battle Sister box sells for US $160, which would be about 125 pounds. But the list price for the UK is 95 pounds, which would be 120 US dollars. Unfortunately GW has rules about people selling the product internationally. But what you can do is find a vendor on eBay that uses the eBay global shipping program in which eBay does the shipping. The shipping is expensive but you can find most GW products for around a grand total of 20-30% off depending on popularity. For example here is a link to the SoB Combat Patrol box for about 125usd : https://www.ebay.com/itm/255739280154

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

man, those announcements are just a big old fart. most of the new primaris is ugly or boring, the only remotely cool models imo are the mk III, and even those mean there's no longer a boxed kit of 30K guys with chainswords. sucks.

I had mixed feelings for the reveal myself. I am happy for everyone who is happy about the jump packs though, although I am not sold so much on them myself. The command squad might be interesting I will have to take a closer look. I picked up Leviathan so now I am wondering if I really want 5 more terminators though, not sure if that might be overkill.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is super interesting that they said that the current assault Terminators will remain on sale for the time being. I imagine that means that the release of Primaris Assault Terminators is fairly far off. Which is a shame really, would have been nice to have those launch earlier and maybe the multipart kit later or something.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

White Dwarf at that time was also really, really bad. It had practically no content aside from promotional pictures of what to order next. They were really able to make WD a lot better and it seems pretty good today.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible the list builder just had the old items removed for the time being and will have the new items deployed on the official day of the codex release?

Edit to add: I also still see the Tyranid index available on the Warhammer Community site, so it is still there? Presumably will be replaced by an updated version on the official day of codex release, but will not include the new codex specific subfactions? (Or whatever we are calling subfactions now)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

On the app i can only see the combat patrol datasheets, im sure on the website its still technically free

I have never used the app before, so I downloaded it and can see what you are saying. Still, might be worth waiting until the official release of the codex to see exactly what they do with the app's rules. As much as I have questioned some of GW's decisions before, I think it is prudent to wait a day or two here and see how it all falls out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The one time I go to bat for GW and they backstab me like this. What a bunch of assholes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am interested in seeing how GW balances keeping all their different source material updated. Right now, looking at the Warhammer Community website the official rules link still has the outdated description for some things, and has not been updated in some time. So it would seem if you want the complete and accurate set of rules you need the rulebook and the balance data slate, and if you have index cards you need the index card pdf as well. I am curious as to their intentions with the available Tyranid index on the WH Community site. If they leave it up will it be updated to reflect the changes in the codex? It seems like things could get really confusing really fast with the different documents floating around.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just spent about 30 minutes playing with the builder app and it seems pretty good, except for a few really odd things about the interface. Instead of being able to add in unit upgrades with a single click I have to go back and modify other things and that is sometimes not clear. I imagine it would have taken more programing time to implement a clean solution, so their solution is to throw an error when your selections don't match the written rules. While that works it is a bit cumbersome. Especially if you are configuring 5 guard troop choices. On the other hand, its not like you are going to be doing it all the time.

While the app is good I don't think it is worth a subscription cost at this time, given that competing products have free apps or webforms that outperform this one, in particular OPR and Malifaux. Perhaps others that I do not know about as well. A big difference is also that my 2000 point army of Dkok, if purchased from GW/Forgeworld comes in at around 1.8k-2.2k, so I feel like they can make the tools that are fairly integral to playing their game both good and accessible for free.

Edit to add:
If they wanted to add a paid tier then they should add some "wow" features. When I hit export instead of giving the world's most simple text dump, do that, but also create a pdf that has smaller/scaled down index cards that are up to date for all my units and the strategems/army rules for my subfaction. That way when I have a list I really like I can hit the export button, print two copies of the pdf, and then both my opponent and I have quick and easy references for everything I have when we play. And if they did the same it would potentially reduce unpleasant gotchas and speed up play.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 9, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kitchner posted:

[

Yes sorry forgot to say in all three steps you buy the codex. It's just one of them you basically never need to open it again and just use the app, one of them you use the app and a notepad to write lists, and in the final one you reference 4 different documents and write a list in a notepad.

I've not seen anything about that, it wouldn't surprise me if this is intended to sort of do a "soft" removal of the feature while it all calms down and then they just remove the feature.

I can verify that you can build a list for free, but it looks like you are limited to just one, and I don't know how long it will last. I just downloaded the app today and I don't pay for any subscription services from GW and it let me build an Astra Militarum list. I didn't try to build a tyranid list with it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Good deal alert: Found Cadia Stands box set for 120 USD on Amazon. Obviously the Codex and Army cards are no longer current, so that is why I suspect they are selling it at 40% off MSRP, but it is actually also 25% less than the combat patrol, so would be a cheaper option than the combat patrol at standard 15-20% discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Games-Worksh...32-63e904010ad0

Also, in fun news, I saw a facebook add for some random Chinese company selling Leviathan box sets at 50 bucks each or 2 for 80, so I loaded up a pre-paid Visa and decided to spin the wheel on that and see what sort of weird or odd Leviathan set I get, if anything. Will post pictures when it comes in, assuming it is anything interesting.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

100% chance it's recast

Oh, yeah, big chance. Especially since they said they had such low prices because some of the boxes had damage or had been repackaged. I already have a Leviathan box I am painting so I am not too worried about what I might get. Kind of fun experiment!

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 12, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Contrast paint is great for yellow and oranges.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So taking a deeper look at the Tyranid codex and I think it brings bad portents for the future of 10th edition. The codex is mostly copy and paste from the previous codex, including the cover art, which is sure to be confusing to new players. GW just removed the Tyranid datasheets from Warhammer Community, so now there is no free access whatsoever to any Tyranid rules with the exception of combat patrol list and rules. The majority of the data sheet cards you could buy at purchase are invalidated, but they have been nice enough to release new ones, but for 15 dollars more than the previous release. The complaints in 9th edition about too many Stratagems is going to come up again because it looks like each codex is going to have 6 detachments with 6 stratagems, which mean over 950 total stratagems in the game by the time the final codex is released. Unfortunately you cannot read up on your opponents stratagems ahead of time because as the codex gets released the free rules are pulled.

So the goal of 10th edition to have free rules and limited stratagems and complexity to make it accessible is just a little bit bullshit. Looks like we are just going to end up with 9th edition except no wargear options, which was not the area of unnecessary bloat and complexity that were driving the complaints. I would recommend everyone download all the free pdfs from Warhammer Community while you can still get them, even though they will be slightly outdated when the codex releases, it can at least give you an idea of what you are playing against. In good news Wahapedia is rolling out 10th edition content, so we will still have free rules, luckily.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Razor blades can also work for cleaning up some the sprue attachment areas, just have to be pretty careful in the application.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

He looks very smart!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, cannon typically have a whole team of people who operate them and one job in particular is the sponger, who takes a wet sponge to the inside of the cannon to smother any still active embers from the previous shot. If you do not do this when you add more powder it can ignite with typically disastrous consequences.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So I started painting up some of my Leviathan Tyranids and chose a color pattern based on being different than my Space Marines. The Marines are Purple/Red so the Tyranids are Hive Fleet Gorgon colors which is tan carapace and green skin, and using doomfire magenta as the internal bits, and yellow brains. That got me thinking, I don't know anything about Hive Fleet Gorgon and I don't have the new codex. Does anyone have a quick overview of Hive Fleet Gorgon play style/specialties? Are they one of the called out fleets/detachments in the codex?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Eej posted:

Gorgon would either be Invasion Fleet to represent it's high rate of adaptability or Unending Swarm to represent how it spent so much energy constantly evolving it could only afford to make small bioforms. In the fluff the Hive Fleet existed to get its rear end kicked by the Tau and that's about it. The Hive Mind with its memory full of tens of millions of creatures in generic code and the ability to modify the genetic makeup of its soldiers with a mere thought gets out adapted by Tau scientists.

I guess the Tau have some pretty good scientists then!?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Would Hive Fleet Gorgon and Nurgle be friends? What with the poison and plague and whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My 1/16 M4A3E8 Sherman model has individually linked tracks. So I am gonna pass on those for my sanity.