Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
They have kind of broadly divided the different new Primaris squads into "Battleline," which are equivalent to tactical squads, "Close Support," which are equivalent to assault squads, and "Fire Support," which are equivalent to devastators. A standard company still has the same number of squads in the same designation, the name has just changed A squad that is designated one of these types can be equipped in as any of the multitude of nounverb gunhavers that fall under their designation.

The main issue that crops up here is that Primaris squads have wildly different sizes now, and how exactly squads would be divided into sub-squads or how they would actually be marked is entirely unexplained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If there's a public library nearby, they sometimes have rooms you can reserve. Their hours might be more limited and they may not have tables of the size you need, but it's worth looking into.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Stephenls posted:

It probably won’t. It’s pre-Primaris.

This is why I dislike Primaris Marines. They’re great models and I largely like their aesthetics but their introduction draws a line in 40K history and means GW won’t do any historical stuff in the setting anymore (beyond Heresy, which needed to be broken out into its own game with its own model line) because they don’t want to publish a campaign supplement for an era where Primaris Marines aren’t a draw. So no Sabbat Worlds Crusade, no Badab War, no Fires of Cyraxus.

Yeah, that's one of my gripes as well. I also don't really like the more "comic book-y" style storytelling of the modern stuff, where it's big gods and superweapons and saving the galaxy. The older campaigns had a more grounded, historical tone (even though they were still pretty silly) that I just like better. Most of the campaign books from Gathering Storm until now have felt very Marvel-Movie Slop to me, with a few exceptions. I liked some of the War of Beasts stuff with the Orks, but Arks of Omen felt like an Avengers movie.

I get that the Forge World campaign books were dry and niche and equally ridiculous, but I just like that kind of historical pastiche better. They felt more mysterious and evocative somehow. A desperate battle over a nothing world hampered by bureaucratic incompetence is just a lot more interesting to me than superheroes fighting over superweapons.

There's no accounting for taste, but I hope they go back to that style at least a little bit.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

The Deleter posted:

The fact that Stormsurges and Riptides sold in any amount is a crime imo. Ugly rear end models.

I think the Riptide is fine, I guess, but I definitely preferred the Tau when they were characterized as not using any superheavies other than the Manta. They were fun as a very modern, smart faction dropped into the gonzo bizarro world of 40k and trying to deal with its absurdities with technology and good tactics. They were a nice contrast to the Imperium, and giving them giant logistically wasteful robots clashes a little bit with that characterization.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I know this has been asked a billion times before, but I can't seem to find the answer in searches of the old thread, but where in the gently caress can I find "Rubber Steel" sheets in the USA?

I've been using the "Really Useful Boxes" for mini storage and overall love it, but the magnetic rubber sheets i've found aren't quite cutting it. It sounds like "Rubber Steel" or "Ferrous Rubber" is what I want, but I can't find anything outside of paying through the nose for shipping. It's baffling to me that nowhere in the US has this stuff, but that seems to be the case.

The best I could find is this stuff , but it's all sold out with no ETA on when it will be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I really enjoy assembly and think most of the modern GW sculpts are pretty great, tbh. Having recently assembled both GW Orcs from the late 90s and modern sculpts, the modern stuff is a lot less tedious to prepare. The older models are very straightforward, but cleaning mold lines is a pain and it's very easy to pose something awkwardly.

There are a few drawbacks to the more modern designs, and I don't think they're a good solution for games the size of 40k where you need to make dozens of them, but they're great for characters or small warbands. The results are also pretty impressive: basically nobody has models that are posed as dynamically as modern GW.

Whoever says they need to redo how they number poo poo in the sprue is spot on, though, hunting for parts is infuriating and having them numbered by location would be a godsend.

But yeah, I really like the new models overall. I think the Necromunda models are kind of the best of both worlds, with dynamic sculpts and lots of great modular options.