Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What are some good articles about just general strategy and tactics? I've played a handful of games over late 9th and 10th ed with an infantry-heavy Astra Militarum army, and I've been terrible at scoring even localized victories on the battlefield. I struggle to differentiate between flanking someone and just dividing up my units into weak blocks that get picked off, I try to concentrate fire and just leave most of the enemy unscathed, and I'm a terrible judge at when to advance and when to sit.

What's some basic, basic things I should be asking myself at any given time to not make dumb mistakes on the battlefield? How do I fight good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can anyone recommend some models that would make for good Not-Mordians? I was thinking of looking into historicals for them but I'm not sure what era I would be looking for.

A little late to the replies, but Wargames Atlantic's historical WWI British Infantry kit and sci-fi Death Fields Bulldogs kit will get you soldiers with peaked caps, although the uniforms don't have quite the same dress uniform flair as the proper Iron Guard design.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

a pale ghost posted:

I actually got into guard because I like the GW line of Cadians an awful lot, I'm aware this is silly. I loved the old, bad ones when I was a kid and the new ones really appeal

Lostconfused posted:

Buy 3rd party plastic toy soldiers with guns for half the price or less.
Even for Cadians, this is viable. 28mm WW2 US infantry get you most of the way to their current-gen look, and some knockoff lasguns from Spellcrow or wherever you like plus a bit of knifework will get you some decent infantry for a fraction of the cost.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The new CSM codex hype has got me thinking about traitor guard again. Ages ago I tinkered with putting together a Dark Commune unit led by Snidely Whiplash but never followed up with making anything significant afterwards. Is a cultist-heavy CSM list feasible, or is it better to just make an IG force where everyone is laughing maliciously?