Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

does the "woo woo woo" arm pump while pointing at the Chaos Space Marines section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RE: books, I just finished Echoes of Eternity and am finally moving on to The End and the Death. Echoes was so good that after I finish TEatD I think I'm going to go hit ADB's Night Lords trilogy.

Edit: page snipe through the power of books

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The elation then deflation when I saw Fulgrim and then it wasn't a teaser for an EC faction. Still will probably buy him tho.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you? With no EC codex on the horizon and no specific units for said army I've been building up a CSM army painted generally as EC but I've been hankering to paint some other legions up. As long as the rim color is the same would it be inconsiderate to my opponents if in my predominantly pink army there is suddenly a squad of Night Lords raptors or Iron Warriors legionaries mixed in? I assume not but kinda wanted to feel out if it was some sort of faux pas.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

After finishing catching up on HH/SoT I actually just started the Black Legion trilogy (duology until ABD finishes it?) and that's part of why I want to expand out as long as I don't have an actual single legion codex. I did a test run of different legions in a kill team and had fun with it and wouldn't be opposed to painting up little 500 point warbands of different legions but didn't want to make it too confusing if I mushed them together into my main army when making higher point lists. I like the CSM range enough that I kinda just want to keep doing variations of it even if it means im effectively doubling or tripling up on units I already have done in my EC army.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eej posted:

If you want to do multiple warbands together then the best way to avoid confusion would be to have the warband colour schemes delineated at the squad level. All these green Chosen are one squad and the Iron Warrior Legionaires are all the same scheme.

If you have literally each dude in a squad a different colour how is your opponent supposed to figure out which one belongs to which squad if they both end up in melee?

Ah yeah sorry if that wasn't clear, that's exactly what I'd be going for. I wouldn't be mixing within the same squad, just an entire squad of a different legion than my main one.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Speaking of chaos guys, I finished A Guy. x-post from mini thread

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oooo black and purple looks so good on a termie, great chapter pick

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Working with thin layers is fun because after the first layer you go "it's so over, this loving sucks. I've ruined the model, this coverage and opacity is trash." Then the second layer goes on and you go "we're so back, my perfect shade. The ultimate color, God's perfect shade"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Contrasts have their uses even in "normal" paint jobs, there's some good videos out there on thinning down contrasts even more to get some nice looking washes. They can also be used and then highlighted over with normal acrylics and you'll end up with a middleground between the two styles. But if contrasts get the desired effect you were going for and you're happy with it I don't see why they'd be a bad starting point, you'll still pick up other methods over time when you think of a cool thing you want to do or see something you want to replicate and see how they did it and add that to your skillset.

Unrelated to painting, weren't a grip of books supposed to come out this month? The Fall of Cadia, Genefather, and some others are on WarCom with September release dates and I haven't seen any option to even preorder them.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 28, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Cyouni posted:

There was an intensely funny moment in one of the Space Wolf books where the named long-term sergeant character gets shot in the face by a sniper because he's no-helmet howling after a win. (I think it was like, the third book he'd been in.)

There was a similar bit, also with a Space Wolf, in The Talon of Horus where the main character puts a knife through the chin of a Space Wolf and thinks to himself 'thank god these idiots never wear helmets'

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, 1 termie to go and then it will be time to buy another box because who the hell runs 5 termies

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RangerScum posted:

I've enjoyed reading the 9th edition and 10th edition thread over the past 10 months, thank you posters.

Echoing this post hard, I always enjoyed 40k in the form of videogames, grinding through the wikis back in the late 2000s and reading the Horus Heresy books as they were coming out but never really felt like I could handle taking the plunge into the actual models until about a year ago when I turned 30 and decided it was time to give the actual physical hobby a try. Here's to another year of building, painting, maybe playing, and asking you all when we will get an EC codex.

Nazzadan posted:

Year 1 of hobby in review post

First models I painted:

Most recent couple squads:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, threw together a chonkier raptor using legionary parts and 3d printed bits and I'm happy with it

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Chaos termies are probably my favorite kit in the range, other than maybe the dark apostle

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I do love a good "this chapter might have heretical geneseed" chapter where it makes sense, but as much as I like those I also enjoy a "this chapter is 100% definitely loyalist geneseed but are so far removed from how their original legion acted" like the Executioners, those hosed up cannibal Ultramarines, etc.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I hope both Rann and Amit show up a few more times in the last couple books, easy favorites.

Edit: if you like CCGs, Warpforge is going into early access next week. It's the "sequel" to the Horus Heresy: Legions game that's been out for a while that'll take place in modern 40k, if you set your phone to pre-reg the game (just click install and it'll tell you it'll install once it's out) you get 10 free packs. It's cross platform so I assume you can just create an account, open the packs and switch to Steam if you prefer.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 12, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, continue to be very happy with "Raptor" parts on Legionary bodies

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

And put EC decals back in the CSM kits why are they even gone

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eej posted:

Cause it's the most telegraphed introduction of a new army ever

The current sheet that comes in all their kits is from 2018 and has TS on it but no EC, so if the reason is telegraphing a new army I think they pulled the trigger a little early.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

coelomate posted:

uh oh the World Eaters box has burrowed into my mind. My search history is now full of "Angron return probability" and "why are eightbound good" and poo poo.

It's looking really enticing for me too, hard to talk myself out of grabbing it

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Can't wait to see late-siege Ferrus

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was shortly after Starcraft came out so they likely drew some inspiration from there.

Neat, my favorite missions in RTS' are always "hold out for X amount of time" and that particular mission in the first chunk of the Terran campaign of SC1 is one of the best. Playing a Warhammer version of it would be fun

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, got a squad leader done for the Chonky Legionary Raptors. One more to go and then I'll need to figure out if I want to use the box of actual Raptors I got to fill in 5 more for this squad or use them for 5 more Warp Talons for my existing Emperor's Children WT's.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Why did 40K Imperium stop painting all of their weapons red? Did someone look at them and think "We need to make this look a lot more boring"?

u control the paints u put on ur minis

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

https://warhammer.com/
New shop is up, I'm in queue just to check it out but apparently FW has been rolled into the main site now.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Navigating the factions seems a bit more annoying, but once you are on your faction that page is laid out much better. But when you select a unit and go to it's page it looks like it's formatted for mobile and they got rid of the recommended paints for some reason?

This seems pretty rear end, just rolling FW into the old site would have been better. I tried clicking on another unit to see if it had dead images/recommended paints and it bombed out

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 31, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

thin your mints

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My CSM warband is a custom one, but I've also been building up some regular original 9 legions squads to accompany them. I don't collect loyalist SMs outside of a few models for Wrath and Glory, but they're all part of the Iron Champions which I think is the best of both worlds for "this is a real chapter," and "but there is less than 1 paragraph of fluff on them so do whatever."

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

the cool thing about CSM vs SM is that they're much more prone to have armies that are just a bunch of guys left over, wearing whatever crap they can scrounge up. mixed warbands of pack rats are canon

Yeah that's the plan, I've mentioned it before but I really just want to collect Chaos. I've got like 1500 points of my main warband but the long term goal is just little mini 500 point batches of other legions and just plug and play as needed (no mixed squads though, the squads will all be uniformly a single scheme). Held off on ordering it but when those christmas boxes actually release I might cruise around the local shops and see if I can nab a WE one as a side faction. I just love trim I guess :shrug:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I somehow willed this into existence by bashing together regular legionaries and printed Night Lord bits with the arched intake jump packs, and they were nice enough to wait until the night I was painting the 5th member of the squad to show this. Oh well guess I'll be making more NLs because these are too cool to not get

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well with impeccable timing to coincide with both the announcement of the NL upgrade sprue and the assault marines for 30k, I've finished my Night Lord Raptor squad project of turning regular Legionaries into Raptors that are a bit less thin and jumping-in-the-air'y. Main goal was just to get a bit better at kit bashing and I'm satisfied with how they came out, waiting on my buddy to print some bits and then I think I'll expand this into a full 10.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's interesting that the heresy assault marines have grounded poses, meanwhile 40k assault marines are kickflipping themselves off of the nearest convenient rubble.

I like the grounded poses way more than the mid-jump ones, mostly why I turned the legionaries into raptors upthread

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I collect regular 40k, but like HH way more as a setting. Though I'm not sure if that's because I actually think it's better, or if because when I was getting into Warhammer 15 years ago nothing at all was happening in the main story after I had caught up on it but these cool little books were coming out constantly around that time that were furthering this other time period's story a couple times a year.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Local store got the Guard box in stock, so now I have to decide if I want to buy it.

The Christmas box?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Black Templars as an aesthetic attract that most annoying chuds on the internet, but that's easily ignored by just not caring what weirdo larpers say on social media who probably don't own a single model. They're one of my favorites to seen painted up though and I do enjoy their lore, particularly their beef with the fledgling Black Legion when they first left the Eye of Terror.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well I popped into my lgs to see if they had any sales going on today and to pick up a couple colors or two and they ended up having 1 copy of the WE christmas box that game in this morning so, I guess I am now starting my second army :toot:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

As much as I want to get started on the World Eaters box, I did start putting together some Warp Talons to flesh out my squad from 5 to 10. My original 5 WTs were the second squad I had painted so it was cool to put the new leader of the squad next to the old one and see the quality difference between my current "lets get through this guy ASAP" and my old "I am going to work on this for 2 days to get it as good as I can."

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The next thing I need is a couple chaos rhinos and that makes me a bit hesitant to pick up official sculpts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

ro5s posted:

TBH for chaos rhinos I'd just get heresy ones instead, I'm assuming it goes together much better than the old one.

A quick google says they're the exact same size and are 5 bucks cheaper, I've got enough random chaos poo poo laying around to slap on it so that seems like the move