Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly the Fourth Tyrannic War stuff in the Leviathan fluff section felt far more like a return to form on that front, it's really just about Leontus and Trajan wrangling the Imperial war machine into a defensive footing against a titanic Tyranid swarm headed for earth, aside from the planetoid Tyranid that's a clear Dead Space reference at the end there's nary a super weapon or showdown with a supervillain to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

The final battle where Trajann beats a knight-sized Tyranid in hand to hand combat doesn't count?

Well theres three things about that:

1. Its Trajan and like six other Custodes all of whom get absolutely torn to shreds and killed to give Trajan his shot to kill it.

2. We've seen the model and it's not knight sized, it's about a head taller than a Wraithlord.

3. It comes off more as an assassination attempt or decapitation strike than a big dumb superhero fight imo, you may disagree but I don't think it's that out of line for a pseudo historical tone

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One of my favorite parts of Vigilus was that there was a totally organic protest over food rationing that had nothing to do with the Genestealer Cult or Chaos but the Imperium being the Imperium just lumped them all together and started gunning them down and turned what could have been a group that could have been relatively easily negotiated down into a full on uprising.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Votann really just feel like they're waiting for the rest of their army, I'm expecting that they will probably have the largest improvement once their codex comes out. Still GW could at least try to pull them out of dumpster tier.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

no, the initial codex mentioned it

Even the marketing campaign leading up to the codex mentioned it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tyranids sometimes have purple blood referred to as "alien ichor" but it's hardly consistent.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I wish he had the ability to telefrag people

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

^burtle posted:

Expecting a lot more Necrons soon given every Lychguard box was out of stock as soon as 10th hit.

Crossing my fingers hard that we can finally banish the green rods from the range with a new lokhust destroyer kit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ashcans posted:

Cadians are really similar to the designs for the infantry from Starship Troopers, but the timing doesn't work out for them to be actually ripped off. I guess they have a common inspiration, probably the Colonial Marines from Aliens.

I mean the Cadian's initial release doesn't work out with the timing but its hard to say that the later kits didn't pull at least a little from Starship Troopers, particularly in the most recent kit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Black Templars at least should have a blanket restriction on using librarians though I don't know how you format that in the current rules outside of their specific detachments

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like krieg because I find the fantasy of an utterly faceless and anonymous mass of soldiers reducing their enemies to dust through precise discipline and unbreakable morale to be extremely compelling and I prefer the aesthetic of early 20th century militarism to the more explicitly Sci-Fi angle the Skitarii are going for. Also it's extremely weird to compare them to Space Marines at all since Space Marines are all Big drat Heroes (in the Achilles and Lu Bu sense not the moral sense) and Krieg are extremely not that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Yep, that's space marines.

Not even close, Space Marines are a rapid assault force while Krieg are a much slower combined arms force that emphasizes artillery. 30k Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors fought in a way similar to Krieg but Imperial Fists are just a single chapter now and can't really do that while Iron Warriors have gone full on Daemon Engine monster mash. Plus both of them are way outside the aesthetic niche of what Krieg is doing.

Edit:

Jack B Nimble posted:

To me it's like, if you wanted the Gas Masks the Armageddon Steel Legion was right there, and has a lot of history with the larger fiction anyway.

Because Steel Legion looks a lot worse than Krieg and have an outsized focus on armor as opposed to the emphasis on infantry combined arms Krieg have.

Also despite the "nazi" accusations thrown at Krieg's aesthetic, the Steel Legion are way worse because they are literally the Wehrmacht.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 22, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Demilich posted:

I thought the silent king literally built in mind control protocols during biotransference that allow him 100% control over other necrons though

Like a civil war shouldn't actually be possible since he'd just snap his fingers and peeps would kneel, even unwillingly, at his command.
Then again a lot can go wrong over 60 million years of degradation.

The way the story goes is that the Silent King deliberately broke those command protocols before his self-imposed exile but recent lore has shown him to have an uncanny ability to "persuade" recalcitrant nobles after granting them an audience so it's a bit up in the air, it seemingly requires direct personal intervention for the Silent King to do it though since Imotekh has been talking poo poo since the 9th edition codex reintroduced the Silent King.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't think fascist aesthetics makes playing an army a moral bad, for fucks sake I'm in the 40k thread and I'm currently painting up a Black Templars army which is like fascism squared, but it just always rubs me the wrong way how there's so much hand wringing over Krieg while poo poo like Steel Legion and even the Black Templars don't raise an eyebrow.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
it certainly doesn't help that the Black Templars' chapter colors are literally the colors of an SS uniform (black with red accents and a black cross on a white background)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually, having left in 5th as a kid and coming back now

Are Votann confirmed to be the squats and oops turns out they didn't all get eaten, or are they a whole new set of guys who happen to also be space dwarves?

This question has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to make some space dorfs once I finish painting my marine army

Votann are the Squats, they are based in the galactic core but have enclaves and scouting fleets throughout the galaxy, one of those got eaten by 'nids and the Imperium incorrectly thought that was their whole civilization.

Also Squat has been recontextualized as an in-universe slur that Imperials use for them. They call themselves the Kin. Also they have Men of Iron fully integrated into their civilization as equal citizens and have functional if deteriorated STC constructors called Votann or Ancestor cores. Strong Deep Rock Galactic vibes but a little less jokey.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Here in the states the Secret Service does a lot more than just stand beside the President. They're in charge of both stopping counterfeit money and giving people who threaten to kill the president a stern talking to. I'm pretty sure they have their own personal special forces units as well like a lot of other departments do. It's not hard to 40k that up into what the Custodes are doing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dark Mechanicum seem like a Monster Mash faction at first blush, lots of hosed up Daemon engines herded into combat, lot like nids but possibly with better and more guns

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr Teatime posted:

Lmao at the dark angels, who have been hunting the fallen for ten thousand years, seeing the inner circle companions and being like “hmm yes no idea what these mysterious strangers are all about, must be a secret”.

literally the smartest thing anyone at GW has ever done was having the Lion come back and basically say "this whole fallen subplot sucks, lets get back to the arthurian knights poo poo"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just get Grey Knights up to CSM size and we'll be fine

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Super Waffle posted:

I'm hoping this new trend of large upgrade kits continues, as we've seen with the Night Lords and Dark Angels kits.

Credit where credit is due they started this trend with the sweet Black Templars upgrade kit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Lion may not be super flashy like a model like Angron or the Norn Emissary is but I think there is something to be said for a simple concept (space knight with big sword and shield) being executed extremely well.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 29, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How long are they gonna wait to put out the Ballistus Dreadnought for regular sale?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dark Angles getting their super special snowflake terminators before we get new assault terminators is really annoying

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JBP posted:

So tau are going to have a huge melee component? That changes them up pretty drastically.

I actually think this is a positive step for the game. The idea of a "one-phase army" is extremely archaic and leads to the feast or famine balancing of the Tau where they're either op as gently caress or dirt tier. Giving them the ability to play in other phases, while still having an emphasis on the shooting phase, will lead to better army design and less toxic play patterns.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually prefer the Kroot being very distinct from the regular Tau forces, it really plays up their role as an Auxiliary force when you play them together. Very Spanish Empire conquest of the New World where you had a small core of European Conquistadors supported by a large contingent of Native auxiliares.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

Sadly I feel like Stormboyz will never get a refresh for obvious reasons.

people keep saying thing about units or factions over and over again and keep getting proven wrong

edit:

AndyElusive posted:

because their sculpts are already rad nuff.

D'OH

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Inner Circle Companions are shown as five models in the reveal vid and have at least that many sculpts in the reveal article. That would strongly point to them being a box of five and GW's recent policy of 'one box=one min size unit' would make a min unit size of 3 nonsensical. That alone is enough to dump a mountain of salt on those rumors.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

weird but I guess I got the box size wrong

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
thinking about the rules a bit more now that we know they are real and I have to say that anyone complaining about "only" getting two detachments in the book is kidding themselves, being a special snowflake chapter gives you access to the base SM detachments PLUS your super special snowflake one(s), that alone gives you access to more detachments than any other army in the game

just the other day I was trying to think of what a second detachment could even look like for my BT and was coming up blank and I can't imagine it will be any easier for SW, BA or DW, at least DA had the 'wings' to pull from

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

darnon posted:

Well, for Assault Terminators at least. Deathwing Terminators lost the options entirely.

wait just a loving minute here, don't DA still have access to Assault Terminators through the SM codex? and according to the reddit leaks on the DA subreddit ALL SM terminators gain the Deathwing keyword

so is the only reason theres even a Deathwing Terminator entry in the DA codex to add the Plasma Cannon weapon option just like the Multi-Melta on BT vehicles? if so they haven't lost a single thing and that part of the leaks is all a huge misunderstanding

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
ok so the options are still there but they can't be mixed that makes a little more sense, I have a feeling that partially is because of Assault Terminators not having their new kit yet (yet another reason it was really dumb for GW to skip over a new generic Assault Terminator kit for everyone)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Weren't the DA the poster children for every standard space marine army immediately switching to their rules whenever the codex was released?

I remember that happening with Blood Angels more tbh, as long as I've been aware of 40k DA have either been horribly out of date, suffering from first codex syndrome, or down in the dumps with the rest of the Marines. They only seemed to get a shot in the arm with 9th.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dreylad posted:

My friend is at LVO and said someone just flipped a table. Nerd mad.

I would actually go loving ballistic if some jackass pulled that on me

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

3 Action Economist posted:

Brutal Kunnin' and Warboss, both by Mike Brooks, plus another one coming soon.

I am unreasonably hype for it, Orks vs Dark Eldar, I think Brooks said it will have no humans in it which actually makes me more excited for it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/22/dark-angels-combat-patrol-who-are-the-vengeful-brethren-and-how-do-they-play/

They must be running out of material when it comes to hyping up the Dangles, because now they're breaking down their new Combat Patrol box out of all things. Instead of just mentioning it like before.

Even then the box itself is just regular Marine models.

Not loving this trend of making every faction's combat patrol significantly shittier with every release.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the Tau are basically a multi-season arc Star Trek villain that has the unfortunate luck of dealing with the Imperium instead of the Federation and look good by comparison

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Maybe they can give the stompa some decent rules to go with that new battleforce

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

smug jeebus posted:

It def grinds my gears that one Jakhal has a larger base than all of the others, or that the Bloodletter characters are on larger bases than the unit

The BT Primaris Crusader Squad contains three different base sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love those peanut butter jars of texture paint that Vallejo makes, if they made a crackle one I wouldn't buy gw paste ever again