Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Athas posted:

speed paint

haha incredible. Speed paints are perfect for Sanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Not sure if this belongs in the mini-painting thread or not, but I'm really debating how I'm going to paint those pesky runes on that Librarian in Terminator armor from the Leviathan box. He's the last Terminator I need to paint.

I'm debating on whether to leave the runes with a dark recess shade or to hit em with a thinned down bright blue.

A lot of examples I've seen with bright recesses seem to look like it's super easy to overdo it and make the details look chonky. A lot of the runes on my model have too soft of detail to catch the liquid in a crisp way as well.

I feel like canonically it makes sense for them to be glowing, since he's portrayed mid brain-blast with the model, but I want him to look as tidy as possible if he's going to be attached/ leading my Terminator squad.

Anyone have any recommended methods, or should I jus leave em dark with some Nuln Oil?

Aliensandwich fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 25, 2024

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Should I use something like a white ink instead of thinned acrylic? I've seen some videos of people using inks or thinned white oils with a nice quick/ clean spread throughout the recesses. Any luck with this?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Any particular brands you recommend?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I'm finally getting around to putting the decals on my Ultramarines' armor after pussyfooting for over a year. Those pauldrons really make it tricky for the omega logos to conform. I decided to go with Ardcoat as the initial gloss varnish.

How long should I wait after applying the varnish before setting the decals down? Some places say a whole day of cure time, but others say an hour.

I don't have a ton of free time these days, so I want to make whatever hobby time count and not wait an entire day if I don't have to.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

AndyElusive posted:

Microsol and Microset are your friends.

Heard. I do plan on using some white vinegar as a setting solution for now.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Improbable Lobster posted:

Your local humidity and temperature make a huge difference in drying time, unfortunately making it hard to give advice on drying time

The air is currently pretty dry where live.

Also: Does Lahmian Medium work well as a matte varnish? I plan on popping that on once the decals finally settle to undo the initial gloss layer

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Bohemian Nights posted:

You should probably get some technical stormshield if you want a matte varnish. Lahmian medium won't do what you want, and will probably only damage the paintjob if you apply it on top of a finished model

I know this because I got my varnish and lahmian mixed up, and the paint cracked where I had lathered it on

Good to know :o

GW really made it seem like it's a good finish for decals. Those rascals

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Virtual Russian posted:

IMO Microset is not needed, but helps. Microsol is essential. I wouldn't even consider using decals without microsol, not an exaggeration.

I just ordered the two-pack of em. They should be here in a few days.

Does microsol help get rid of those floppy edges?

I just tried putting a simple fire support logo on one of my Infernus guys and it looked almost perfect, except for the edges. Luckily I was able to scrape it off. I had gloss varnish down with some vinegar as a softening tool, but no luck :(

I know I'm missing something

Aliensandwich fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 25, 2024

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Good to know. I keep getting to the "almost perfect" stage, but those pesky edges keep flopping up.

I'm exited to get them to work! It looks SO good during the brief moment it's fully conformed to the model.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Z the IVth posted:

You will need a few rounds of microsol if the decals are particularly thick or the surface you're trying to conform them to is especially complex. It dissolves the carrier film away from the decal to leave just the printed ink behind if you use it very aggressively. They will also make the decals increasingly fragile the more you use it, so be gentle.

You mentioned varnish as well - best decal varnish you can use (and best protective varnish in general) is Quick Shine Multi Surface Floor Finish - it's acrylic varnish that's meant to be stepped on so it is both incredibly tough and gives you an extremely gloss coat with just one or two coats. You can brush it or spray it on neat from the bottle. Use it once before you lay down your decal and once more when the decal has been Microsol-ed to submission. In fact coat your entire model in it and use a nice matte varnish to knock down the gloss again (I recommend Winsor & Newton Galeria matte).

The decals on Space Marine intercessor pauldrons are what I've been dealing with currently. Not too complex, but just round enough to be annoying.

Do you lay on the Microsol after the decal has been placed?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Wow! That really is seamless.

Once I get the decals on, I'm gonna upgrade my account to actually post progress pics.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Update on my whole decal ventures:

So I got my Microset/ Microsol in the mail the other day and WOW.

Microsol really does a ton of heavy lifting. Microset seems to be hit or miss for me in terms of keeping the decals in place, but the way Microsol quickly makes em behave is incredible!

The whole process of pressing down on the decal to flatten it only seems to work when the Microsol is added. Maybe I'm not letting the Microset.. set enough?

Either way, I'm pretty happy with how the decals came out B) I've got 3 out of my 5 Infernus guys done, including the sergeant.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Stephenls posted:

I don't particularly like Microset because I find I have to do a lot of maneuvering decals around on a surface after I've placed them, and the microset interferes with that. I've had better luck with just a layer of gloss varnish and then water under the decal. It may be more useful when putting larger decals down on larger surfaces where it’s easier to get placement right the first time,, but I’m mostly putting tiny decals down on space marine pauldrons or knees or whatever where getting it centered is both very tricky and super obvious if it’s wrong.

Microsol is fuckin' indispensible.

I feel like I almost have the opposite problem with Microset. Whenever I get my decal in the right place, it refuses to stay put. Sometimes when I press down with a paper towel, it will lift the decal right off lmao

Maybe I'm not letting it dry enough?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I like the Play On philosophy of dice telling stories- in this case, the Emperor shone upon his transhuman sons against the traitorous/ heretical Guard unit!

That's my favorite way to play tbh. Adding a little bit of narrative roll-playing with the dice rolls really adds depth and flavor to all of the number crunching.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Are there any good sets of transfers specifically for Space Marine/ Terminator scripture? I feel like they really tie things together, but there's only so many of them on each of the SM sheets.

Little Latin phrases or microscopic blocks of text look badass, but there's never enough to go around.

They really sell the zealous nature of the Space Guys

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Ooh true. They know zealousness like no one else. I am specifically looking for white text, unfortunately. I'm surprised GW hasn't made any sheets exclusively for scripture stuff.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Woah that's a solid variety! I love the ones that fit purity seals! Thanks!

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I feel like a female Space Marine or Custode would end up looking/ acting/sounding almost indistinguishable from their male counterparts with all of the stuff they're injected with ngl. I don't really care either way tho

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I know this is almost a year late, but I'm finally getting around to painting my Sternguard vets from the Leviathan box. My only problem is they have horrible mold slippage on their right pauldrons. I wouldn't mind too much if they weren't so egregious, and I didn't have to paint their trims white.

Is GW still allowing replacements for these errors?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I've built up my current Smurfs army for a little over a year, and I'm finally in the market to snag a tank of some kind. My vehicles right now are 2 dreadnoughts, but I feel like a tank would add some extra variety to my army. My main problem is choosing from the gazillion different tanks GW offers.

What's a nice balanced intro tank with a decent mount of kick to it?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Major Operation posted:

Impulsor is the newer, cheap transport that infantry can shoot out of (via Firing Deck).
Gladiator is the newer dedicated shooty tank that is economical if you don't need something for transport.
Repulsor is the newer multirole tank that can transport more guys than an Impulsor (but no Firing Deck). Repulsors can carry Terminators and Jump Packs in 10th, which they couldn't in 9th.
Repulsor Executioner is the newer multirole with a big gently caress-off gun (either laser or plasma) and can carry a few dudes as well.

The Gladiator is calling my name. Some kind of transport is tempting though.

I wish GW still encouraged making grav-tanks out of deodorant sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Nothing But Hate posted:

I was in a similar spot not long ago had a Redemptor and a Ballistus but felt I needed a tank. I originally wanted a Land Raider but ended up getting a Repulsor Executioner as LR’s seemed to be unobtanium. I haven’t regretted it so far, it has a stupid amount of shooting and can kill small targets and big targets. The one downside is it’s fairly expensive points wise.

One of the guys I play against uses a Gladiator Lancer, it packs a pretty good punch and is significantly cheaper than a RepEx in points.

Cool, good to know. I use those same Dreadnoughts in my army as well B) Definitely a good combo