Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to make this "gargoyle" in real life, what would fit as the final arm? It's described as being built for long-range bombardment and having no close-range anti-personnel weapons

A few Medusa mortars seems like it'd fit the pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was really surprised that Horus Heresy reactions didn't make it into 10th.

They're a straight-up improvement to the systems.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a few good dupes of popular derelict damaged spaceships out there as well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Anybody got a good suggestion for a Chaplain's crozius weapon bit? There's probably a billion good choices in AOS but I do not know that range.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lamenters.

I've got a bunch of old stuff and realized I can roll it all into a Death Company - but I'm going to need more Chaplains, Primaris Chaplains, and Jump Pack Chaplains.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

stormcast eternals are similarly-sized and -themed, especially if runes and lightning bolts suit your army

This was it, thanks!

I landed on Stormcast Stormsmite Mauls, which look like they'll be perfect with the "head" cut down and some purity seals.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a good bit! The mauls I found are basically that textured trophy-looking pillar handle, so some of these look like it'll get me the rest of the way there.

Before I get too far in, there's no "expanded rule of 3" I'm missing is there? It feels like I'm getting away with bullshit to use 3 jump pack Chaplains and then 3 Primaris Chaplains.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Green Stuff World has a confirmed history of being dicks and it's extremely likely that they're also nazi dicks.

Even with an over-generous benefit of the doubt, they're not anyone you'd want to recommend in an OP.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh also KR Multicases are great, and they used to sponsor the paint thread back in the day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey I finally got to play 10th!

The app is a gently caress!

I liked everything else though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought for sure that other guy was a re-sculpt of this archon:

But two 40k models seems unlikely.

E: that femur cross-guard on the sword seems pretty on-brand for the vampire counts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You just roll for number of attacks, no? Torrent automatically hits.

E: oh, no not weird at all - that's what they're for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kaal posted:

Even in a game with a lot of arbitrary weirdness, the idea of flamethrowers being the ideal weapon for overwatch is deeply bizarre.

This is actually one of the less bizarre ideas. In WW2 the British were working on an anti-aircraft flamethrower, the Lagonda, to repel German dive-bombers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Firing it more when someone isn't charging, but same idea.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ASAPI posted:

Yeah, the OP seems to gloss over the whole points thing.

If anything, he's just following GW's lead.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I still wish Kim Newman and Ian Watson would come back.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're cute little plant people. That's a safe Google.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Vulkan would also be a largely seamless fit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They were also in a Barnes & Noble Kill Team Lite box set with Necrons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Got another game in! We're just playing stupid lists right now to learn the game. my army was:
2 Cerastus Knight Lancers
3 Warglaives
Eversor assassin

And my opponent fielded:
Tank commander
Shadowsword
3 basilisks
3 more leman Russes

It was awesome. I got tabled. It turns out you do actually need something to do in the shooting phase, and I never pulled off a triple tank shock turn. But it was pretty close on points and the eversor almost punched a basilisk to death. And after one lancer died, everything on the board was painted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Devorum posted:

This just drives home, to me, how much the "one detachment until codex" system sucks.

Imagine still having a single detachment in 2025 while 60% of the factions have 5+ to choose from.

Hopefully the free sponsons and upgrades and weapons keep indexes viable into the codex era.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kitchner posted:

it means you have to learn 36 stratagems to understand how a "Tyranid" opponent may play.

That's 100% not what that means, it means you're going to be asking your friend what strats he's got for two or three turns.

It's also entirely possible there's four core army strategems and two detachment-specific add-ons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Daft argument really, no offence. If you played against my Grey Knights or CSM with then 30+ stratagems in the book you'd have never really needed to learn more than about 8 maximum. Unless your friend completely wrote radically different lists each game in which case they can do the same now and you need to learn 36.

You're essentially saying that you need to memorize like 2 million MtG cards because your opponent is using Red.

The strategems aren't hidden. You can ask to see which six your opponent has before the game. You can look them up on third party sites and print a cheat sheet if you don't want to ask.

It's still very better than it was.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What I mean is that half of the codices will not be published by summer 2024. I base this on two decades of playing GW games and being familiar with their pace of release. I also believe that armies with codices will be at a significant advantage relative to those without because:
-they will have new datasheets and new model releases, which will be strong both because they’ll be designed with the benefit of experience with what makes a good datasheet in 10e and because GW wants them to sell
-they will have access to six times as many detachment rules, stratagems and enhancements. Even if GW doesn’t deliberately push the envelope on these, that’s six times as many chances to gently caress up and print Strands of Fate.

My friend speculated that the index armies will keep the free upgrades, while codex armies will have to pay for their poo poo again.

Which seems pretty likely IMO.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just want these dudes in Heresy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That was a loving rollercoaster. As the target market for Fulgrim, I went from mentally budgeting him into Q4 to hard pass on the word resin.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fulgrim's spear is going to be a cooked spaghetti noodle out of the box, and those swords look like they're going to be just as bendy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Scouts are Heresy models.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you?

Not at all. Even the Nazis weren't Nazis about it:

Between different manufacture, variation in materials, uneven wear, and a hundred other factors, "uniform" uniforms are probably the least realistic thing you could paint.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was one release a while back that was also a print-on-demand type thing. They basically gave a two week window where anyone who wanted the thing would get it. (I think it was the cursed city reprint?)

So they know it's a problem and they have a solution that works for the customers, but for some (presumably internal) reason they've only ever done it once.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A.Ridiculous, for all the memes, also does a good job discussing and understanding the lore without falling down the fash-hole.

So while they can get annoying, they come across wholesome and on the correct side of history.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Gravis Grav-Gonne Gunners, but only if "Gonneiers" isn't a real word.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamn it the other thing about Adeptus Ridiculous is that the one guy sounds exactly like Fry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I mean... morally yes

It was dumb from a lore perspective as well. The men of the Grey Knights could use the purity of the Sisters' blood better than they could.

Also the obvious overtone that sisters were more valuable as a temporary buff than as combatants. Or as people.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was, arguably, a time when "killing women because they're useless non-entities with lootable purity" was a palatable concept for horror.

But that was before the incel movement targeted Warhammer-aged boys and men with uncannily similar messaging.

And Elliot Rogers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Shame the old lore where the Golden Throne was actually situated in Nottingham got retconned.

Nottingham's power grid can only handle a few dozen souls daily; Even sci-fi needs to acknowledge certain limits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like the ruins change to Towering, cutting Bondsman in half is probably ok.

I'll never get a chance to see Genestealer Cult auto recycling its Battleline units, but that was never long for this world.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I miss that (goon produced?) YouTube of Eldar giving you the D to a DMX song.

Christ, which Daemons army book had the WD bonus supplement introducing Soul Grinders? It was just a fuckoff huge 40k tank dropped into the game because they wanted to sell more of them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It makes multiple armies possible in a dangerous way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh hell, back to Battlescribe.