Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would also recommend linking to monument hobbies. The pro-acryl paints are very nice for beginners and experts and come in dropper bottles. Also their branded brushes are surprisingly good, as they're likely just Windsor and Newton series7 with a different handle. I've been using their #4 sable brush as a daily driver for a while and it's on par with the #2 Raphael 8404 that it replaced. The #2 brush is good but I like the feel of the #1 Raphael more for extremely fine detail, so the monument brush has been relegated to the hazardous job of fine detail work with metallic paints. Idk how the synthetic brushes are but if you're buying synthetic then just get bulk brushes meant for a kindergarten classroom's watercolor day.

Yeah Monument Hobbies is awesome. Fast shipping but more importantly, a really great product that has become my default for a lot of colors. Love their Jade and Gold and White in particular. I also LOVE their primer; I almost exclusively use their Black airbrush primer these days and actually exclusively their white. It’s a little more expensive but it’s resulted in the least jams I’ve ever had with my airbrush and it looks great.

I also really like Huge Miniatures! I’ve gotten a lot of basing supplies from them and I really like what they make. I used their basing stuff for my chaos knights and I really like how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

So if Hellblasters die from hazardous rolls on Overwatch, and then they roll a 3+ and they’re able to shoot again(because of their ability), do they shoot with Overwatch rules on 6s hitting or do they shoot normally?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

hoiyes posted:

From how I've seen it played on Bat reps, they shoot normally.

Cool. That’s how I had been playing it and what seemed to be what the rules intended, but I wasn’t sure.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Use a VPN to have things for free like all the civilized people

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Yep that's definitely it. Thanks a lot, all.

edit I don't think I like push-fit kits, actually. I can't tell if I have this little bastard's backpack thing on as close as it's meant to go or not.

If you snip the little bar at an angle they go in a lot easier.

I always just snip them that way and then use plastic cement anyway.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I love assembling but the second something requires superglue and can’t use plastic cement, my drive to complete it takes a nose dive.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Chaos knights are awesome but war dogs haven’t been in stock anywhere for like nine months

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I wish I could settle on a color scheme for my sisters of battle. I've had them primed for a very long time and I've just never settled on anything I really liked. It doesn't help that they're like, the fiddliest army to paint so I would like to have it pretty locked in so I don't restart a bunch.

May just do something wildly saturated and then soak everything in streaking grime and have the grimmest darkest sisters.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Speaking of sisters schemes, here’s one I threw together last night that I ended up liking a lot. AK Streaking Grime is my best friend.

Not the prettiest, but I like the contrast and the dirtiness of it and I can do a bunch in a hurry.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

Speaking of sisters schemes, here’s one I threw together last night that I ended up liking a lot. AK Streaking Grime is my best friend.

Not the prettiest, but I like the contrast and the dirtiness of it and I can do a bunch in a hurry.

Really appreciate all the comments on this one! I think I’ll try the scheme some more on the rest of the army.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Honestly I skip contrasts because I still haven't figured out smooth and decent coverage without it looking splotchy.
Use them more as glazes or recess shades sometimes.

It really depends on what it’s covering and the contrast paint itself, but warhipster gave some awesome advice to start the first strokes with your brush inside the recesses or corners and to work outward from there, and since I’ve started doing that, my splotchiness has really gone down. It really does require a little more immediate movement and attention because you have to make sure the spread is even while it’s still wet and before any of it dries (what happened to me a lot is the outer edge of a splotch will dry first, creating these weird rings I’d have to work around).

They are awesome as glazes though, no doubt. Also very good (albeit expensive) in an airbrush.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I have an X-Acto knife and a Tamiya hobby knife and they work functionally about the same, which is very well. Buy a bunch of blades (#12 I think?); they dull out quicker than you'd think (or at least they do for me) just because you end up getting paint or glue on them.

I also recommend Tamiya Plastic Cement, but also Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is the same solution but you can buy more of it more cheaply. So just grab a thing of Plastic Cement and then use the Cleaner to refill it.

Also if you have any push-fit models, make sure to cut the little bars diagonally so there's an easier fit.

Toothpicks and little pointed q-tips are also pretty handy for different small tasks, like holding something in place or getting rid of a tiny bit of paint.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Oh yeah superglue is way better for attaching feet to bases, I agree, if only because with superglue models tend to break off bases instead of ripping off if and when you drop them.

Superglue is also handier for customs or for when a piece is especially heavy or awkward, like a lance or something.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Did up Morvahn Vahl in that same scheme and I like it a lot! I think I’ll keep going all the way with this.

Also a bonus Inquisitor, done mostly with Contrast and Vallejo Metal Color.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I wish Sister tanks were priced like ten dollars less across the board, even with 3rd party discounts they just feel too expensive. They are super cool tho.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I’m glad wargear points costs are gone, but there should be some always-available universal option to add 1 wound to a character for ten points or something like that.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I like the solution of condensing a lot of weapons down to just one profile, like they did for Deathwatch with Long Vigil weapons or CSM with uh…abhorrent weapons? Something like that.

But you need to give each weapon type a specific use-case. It seems like right now a lot of weapons are supposed to feel sort of omni-useful but it just results in a lot of them feeling too similar.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Some griping incoming to beware/ignore.
So whoever talked about selling Warhammer on various places is hell last thread I am definitely feeling it right now. Trying to find new glasses for myself by selling off old metal Warhammer models.Had an ad up on several FB groups for like two weeks at this point and I've so far managed to sell one model, and a pair of old vehicle banners that I didn't even realise I had in the first place. :v:
And then that's just the 40k stuff I have, doesn't make me too enthused to put up all the old fantasy metals I have as well.

FWIW I have sold a lot a lot a lot of Transformers and other collectibles and Facebook was where I had the worst customer behavior and least success. eBay takes more off the top, but the convenience and ease of transactions has been worth it to me.

I’m sorry you haven’t been successful yet! It’s a crummy feeling.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I probably love assembly too much. I’m the reason there are too many space marines. Love to kitbash me some Deathwatch Veterans from other kits. Black Templar Primaris Crusaders? That’s ten bodies waiting to be veterans in the Deathwatch my dudes.

Green stuff and especially sprue goop (when you just let some sprue parts dissolve in plastic cement) are the friends of questionable assembly in my experience.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

coelomate posted:

i wish it were possible to buy chaos knight war dogs

yeah like possible at all for this entire year, just once, would have been super nice!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am interested in starting a custodes army, what should I buy to get to 2000pts without wasting money? Thinking of buying from ebay cause my LGS doesn't do discounts it does "you get points"

All their box sets are great, including the combat patrol. I think you can buy two pretty handily?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I’m fine with condensing the captain datasheets, although I wish firstborn and Primaris captains didn’t have different base sizes.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

dudes rock

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I’ll probably just make me some Jump Assault Intercessors with the spare indomitus bodies and vanguard veteran jet packs I got lying around.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

yeah it's pretty wild that nobody else figured out you could just duck underneath chaos this whole time; the best innovations are the simplest

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I got two Leviathan boxes because I’m part of the problem and I used the extra Captain and Librarian bits, plus some other spare stuff, to kitbash a Terminator Chaplain I’m really happy with.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

That sister looks good, Weird Pumpkin. Some washes like nuln oil and druchi violet will do wonders.

You can paint faces if you really want to; you can also just put some wash like reikland fleshshade, seraphim sepia, or agrax earthshade in the eyes and call it a day.

Remember your mini will be seen most of the time from three feet away!

coelomate posted:

War Dog Karnivores in stock at GW US this morning, just purchased 2 boxes!

edit: may be out of stock again. Brigands showed up for a while yesterday, may be worth keeping an eye on it. Stock coming and going?

I’ve signed up for restock emails on every piece, got nothing. Booo

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I don’t paint too many faces but I do leave out sergeants and captains sometimes to practice skin for something down the line, maybe. I also just think helmets are cool, especially with Deathwatch where it feels fun to just use helmets from whatever unit on veterans.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Very nice! I might need a second Leviathan box for some conversions soon...

Ropes4u posted:

That’s a fabulous mini

Hey thanks!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I have desolation marines and I think they look fine. The sergeant holding his vertical looks the dumbest but I just didn’t build that pose, problem solved. They’re not my favorites or anything but honestly the hate has always seemed to me a little overblown.

Putting Horus heresy missile launchers on some random Primaris bodies seems like an easy and cheap solution if you don’t like them but still want to run the rules.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

That Flesh Eater Court warband would probably make some killer Drukhari grotesques.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Demilich posted:

WIP of one of my Noise Marine

hell yeah son

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

xtothez posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-hot-take-space-marines-points-update/

SPEHSS MARINES are getting some further trimming on their point values to compensate for losing wound rerolls, probably tomorrow.

Oh cool, so Deathwatch Kill Teams will go down in price too, right?

…right?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Me about a week ago: I'm gonna paint my Sisters of Battle and do nothing else. It's way overdue.

Also me: Here are some Deathwatch boys I customed up over the last week, using Black Templar primaris bits, some cool bits I got from a Kickstarter that I had forgotten about, and I don't know, assault intercessors and stuff.

Jump Captains!

Jump Intercessors! (I have like eleven of them but they are all pretty much this)

Foot Captain! (This was a Sergeant something that was a freebie at one point I think?)

Deathwatch Veterans!

Company Heroes! (Okay, just one. I made the whole squad but really the candles on the heavy bolter are why I wanted to share).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

These are those 3D printed Dark Angel/Black Templar bits I saw promoted on Aeons of Battle, right? Sick jumppack. Might have missed the boat on them sadly.

Yeah that’s right! Eternal Pilgrims is the name I remember.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I put Thief of Secrets on a Techmarine, pushed a nearly-dead repulsor too far forward so he would die and make the techmarine go super saiyan (7 attacks!) and then rolled hot and basically killed a Chaos Knights Karnivore (and now adding TWO to strength AP and damage because of the Thief of Secrets) and then a Tyrant with it.

There was some thunder hammer and redemptor help for the tyrant but still, the super tech marine did most of it. I’m proud of my stupid plan working.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Hell yeah to all this awesome mini posting

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Competitive and meta chasing seems to really drain places of stock, as whatever is the current hotness is almost always either gone or wildly inflated on eBay. I've sometimes had luck finding used, built models on small shops with Facebook presence. The flip side to that is that when an army is truly bad, it's easy to find for cheap--I saw a lot of people selling huge Necron armies for cheap like a year ago before Arks of Omen came out and upended their rules.

Best way I've found to think about it is that by the time I actually got something, built it, and painted it, the meta will have shifted and it would probably be easier and cheaper to find again*. I have plenty to work on in the meantime.

*except for War Dogs. They never go out of style.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Found some war dogs on ebay for basically MSRP; got 'emmmm

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I use AK Ultra Matte varnish and I like the effect a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Detolfs and the like also pair well with acrylic riser display shelves so you can feature your guys a little more neatly.