Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Way back in middle school / high school 20+ years ago I thought 40k was the coolest poo poo ever but didn't really have the scratch to afford the hobby so I basically just read the rule book and looked at all the pretty pictures. I painted a squad of Khorne Berserkers at the level you'd expect someone w/no artistic experience and no guidance.

Around 15 years ago I tried getting into Warhammer 40k again but my interest fell off after painting a handful of models. Marneus Calgar and his honor squad may not have been the best first project to work on.

Around the start of 2023 I stumbled upon some youtube video of Robert Evans rambling about the 40k universe for 3 straight hours and that sparked an interest in me yet again. I painted a squad of old firstborn marine models I had from 3rd or 4th edition and I was enjoying the process way more than when I last tried it out. After finishing that squad and learning that all my old models seemed pretty inferior compared to more modern offerings I decided that I wanted to go with a CSM army.

Since February i've painted around 1600 points worth of CSM models and I've been having a great time doing it. I decided to go with Black Legion pretty early on because when I was a kid I thought Abaddon was cool as hell so why not make an army around him.

This past weekend I built a lightbox so I could start taking decent pics of the stuff I'm painting. The last thing I'd just finished was a squad of the new possessed space marine models and they're pretty badass so I photographed them first. Screwed up focus on the bottom right model, ah well.

I've enjoyed reading the 9th edition and 10th edition thread over the past 10 months, thank you posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

BaronVanAwesome posted:

1) good post/journey, great looking models

2) I've bought two amazon/aliexpress light boxes that sucked overall, please how'd you build the lightbox/take the photos?

Thank you!

Here's the setup I used:

As you can see I just cut the flaps off the top of a cardboard box, cut two holes in the side of it, reinforced it with a bit of extra cardboard, then taped tissue paper over the side holes to diffuse the light a bit. Then I cut a $1.99 sheet of white poster board to size and stuck it in the box to give me a seamless background.
I had a couple of low power clamp lights from ikea that I just clamped onto the box itself. At that point I'm ready to take pics.

Photography was my main hobby for a while so I already had the camera and tripod, but I bought a 30 year old 105mm macro/micro lens that I got for like $200 off ebay which is great at taking close-up shots. However the depth of field is super narrow in the photos, so to avoid having out of focus areas of the minis I have to take multiple shots of each mini and then I use a technique called "focus stacking" (you can google this phrase to find useful guides) which uses photoshop to line up all the similar photos and blend them together by automatically picking out the in-focus areas of each shot so I can get full coverage of the model. I photograph a single model at a time , 3-5 shots for the front, turn it around and get 3-5 shots for the back. Then I import the photos into adobe Lightroom so I can crop them and make minor exposure adjustments and then copy those adjustments across all the photos so their settings are identical, the only difference between the photos is their area of focus. Then I focus stack in photoshop and save as a jpg. Then I photoshopped all the individual mini's jpgs together into a single pic for posting purposes. Each of my two shots was comprised of around 20 photos blended together.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end but the photos turn out well!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is there a good way to get models off their base so I can rebase them? Mine are really glued on there with Tamiya and I tried working an x-acto knife under their soles but I don't think I can do it without mangling them.

Get a set of these, they are really useful and I've used them to cleanly separate plastic models from bases, clean up resin models, the works. If you need to cut through models / bases / whatever and can't use your snippers these things are incredible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LVOV4A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I've used other x-acto-style saw blades before and these things are so much sharper than everything else.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

What do you sit in while you hobby? I would think I’d want something different to an office chair given how much I am leaning forward.

I paint while sitting back and relaxing on my couch lol.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Finished my first mini squad of Chosen, really awesome kit. Can't wait to use all the extra bits to bash some legionaires into more chosen.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nazzadan posted:

Starting a World Eater army on the side and painted up a test model tonight, looking for some feedback on it. Is there anything that jumps out at you as needs improvement or changing before I start going full steam ahead on the rest of the army with this scheme? At a glance I think I need to push the red highlights higher at the extreme tips like on the wrists.

I think this looks good and I dig the colors, I would try to do something to make the world eater shoulder logo pop a bit more, making the inner section contrast with the outer section more. Pushing your brightest red highlights a bit more and adding contrast that way is usually a good move, go for it!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Decided that since I thought this model was cool I'd paint it up and use it as a proxy for a Chaos Lord in 40k. It took forever and I'm not even close to a good enough painter to do it justice but it'll do for now.

For fun, here's a size comparison between a regular Legionaire, Horus, and Abaddon. He's huge lol.

Maybe this belongs in the 30k thread instead but w/e. There's a few other HH Forgeworld models that'll work as good proxies for 40k that I'm looking forward to working on.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

War and Pieces posted:

Good job, you made him look Itallian, as he should

JBP posted:

He looks awesome man great work.

Dreylad posted:

He looks fantastic. You have all my respect for painting that trim.

Thank you! I realized that I forgot to glue on the ammo belts coming out of his bolter lol, ah well not gonna update the post now.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I wanted to run Lucius the Eternal in my CSM army but didn't want to use GW's ancient model for him so I printed & painted this up.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Lol @ 7 new detachments for chaos, brings the total to 8. Fitting.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Wanted to build some warp talons but wasn't excited about using the squatty old raptor models for such a cool unit, so I made my own that I'm starting to paint now.

Comparison of a current-gen raptor model vs one of these:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Super Waffle posted:

Amazing! Can you go through where each of the parts come from for your version?

It's actually all 3d printed from a few different sets.

The bodies are on cults3d as "Flying Vulture Bodies"
The jetpacks are on cults3d as "Vulture Jetpacks"
The helms are on cults3d as "Exalted Knights of the Haunt"
The arms/claws are on MyMiniFactory as "Nocturnal Claws Set x5"

The only thing on the mini/base that isn't 3d printed are the skulls in the base which are from the the GW skulls pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nessus posted:

They sell a pack that's just skulls?

You know it.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Citadel-Skulls-2017