Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gamers have had enough and decided to rise up against the police.

quote:

A famous video game influencer known for streaming on Twitch is in custody after a giveaway event attracting thousands of young people sparked pandemonium in Manhattan's Union Square.

The Friday afternoon event advertised by Kai Cenat, one of the most popular streamers online, grew out of control well before its scheduled 4 p.m. time. Police estimates suggest the crowd size eventually climbed to a "couple thousand people."

Cenat had told his online followers to come out to Union Square where he would be handing out free PlayStation consoles and gift cards, among other items.

What exactly turned the crowd unruly isn't yet clear, but by 3:30 p.m. people were seen throwing garbage at police and taking down barriers around the perimeter. Witnesses reported seeing some people throwing chairs and bottles. One person had a bruise on his face and he said he was pushed to the ground.

The commotion prompted the highest level of police mobilization by the NYPD. According to a spokesperson, the department called on an estimated one thousand officers to respond to the escalating situation.

Cenat was eventually pulled out from the massive crowd by police officers and seen speaking several officials. A spokesperson confirmed the influencer and "numerous" other people were in custody as the crowd size started to shrink and many of the young people abandoned the park.

Top brass say it's not yet clear if criminal charges will be sought against Cenat.

They needed one thousand police officers to contain two thousand gamers. They'd have no chance otherwise.

And if you're an old out-of-touch hermit like me and don't know who this guy is,

quote:

Kai Cenat, who police said organized the giveaway that led to the chaotic scene, is a Twitch streamer and YouTuber who has been making online content since 2018, when he was still in high school. He is known for having a large fanbase, and in Feb. 2023, became the most-subscribed Twitch streamer of all time, with more than 100,000 subscribers.

He’s won awards for his content, which includes videos of him doing various challenges, online pranks and more. In addition to those videos, he gained following for videos where he chatted with viewers on his Twitch channel, which he started in 2021.

While it didn’t appear that Friday’s stunt was a prank of any sort, he has done other prank videos like pretending to break his brother’s PlayStation 4 controller, or knocking on neighbors doors and running away — a video which became his first one to break a million views.

What a devious mastermind.

Anyway I'm glad all these devious teenagers climbing on cars and blocking traffic and stuff were taken care of, and I'm glad the guy who was giving away free stuff to his fans got what he deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Throw em all in the paddy wagon. Gamers don't deserve to gather in public.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Gamers can't act civilized, mews at 11.
E: keeping the typo

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Streaming isn't a real job

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

The NYPD probably knew something was up when they noticed the air started smelling like the days before the city got indoor plumbing.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

they didn't need 1000 cops to handle this and they knew it, but by "mobilizing" 1000 cops they can request a bigger budget next year with half-assed justification and they'll get it

streaming isn't a real job tho and never will be

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

imagine telling people that you ding-dong-ditch for a living

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gamers will never rise up over anything unless you mean like a self rising biscuit

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i fuckin hate the future, who watches this poo poo????

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Gamers Do Not Rise Up

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Gamers
Ew

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Bet SA could easily match the numbers if Jeff made an event to give out plat and archives in LAN

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 5, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m the summer?

Imagine the smell…

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's about ethics in PlayStation giveawyas

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Definitely want to stand up with $GROUP when famously "$GROUP word" is a horrible slur

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Jim Ryan I shall spill my blood for you and the mighty PS5 platform!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Streaming isn't a real job

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My friend went around there during her lunch break to get some pet supplies and told me it was nothing but a fuckton of kids milling about. poo poo is hilarious

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
WATCH PEWDIEPIE START A loving WAR

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

gamers aint fraid to gently caress the police!! all cops are bossfights!!!

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
ACAB, but...

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I once caught a gamer taking a crap in my trash can. Filthy creatures the lot of em

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Finally, a thread on this. So I can make some sense of it all

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

those paychecks are very real no matter how deep into the sand your head goes. wlecome to the future bitch

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Worldwide riots when Starfield releases.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

cumpantry posted:

those paychecks are very real no matter how deep into the sand your head goes. wlecome to the future bitch

lol

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

We will burn the city to the ground for Donkey Kong just try and stop us

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

If anyone wants to give me money to watch me play Sky Whale I’m in.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

If anyone wants to give me money to watch me play Sky Whale I’m in.

The check's in the mail

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lol I still can't find any reporting that confirms whether or not this guy actually had the stuff to give away

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh my god one of thems got a coconut gun

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Memba in duke 3d how all the pig alien monsters were wearing cop uniforms lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

quote:

people were seen throwing garbage at police and taking down barriers around the perimeter

They're willing to do more than self-described "leftists" who claim to hate the police ever did.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What is the definition of real job? This stupid rear end in a top hat makes $30K monthly from his streams and you know, gently caress having a real job that won't ever pay me anything close to that.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Got time ta lean got time ta stream

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

super sweet best pal posted:

They're willing to do more than self-described "leftists" who claim to hate the police ever did.

They're fighting for their god given right to send death threats to teenage girls on xbox live

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the cops finally get off their asses to do something about school shooters and you assholes are still complaining :v:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If anyone can top my Asteroids skills.....

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
A thousand cops???

No feds or national guard, though. Still, a three-star wanted level is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cumpantry posted:

No one ever got rich being a useful and productive member of society