Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Real gamer gangs IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Grab Im Moor posted:

I think that video game streamers can be ok and I watch some of them sometimes. But only the quieter ones who don't scream all the time for no reason and do "pranks" like this fool or pool streams or whatever. If you can pull it off and gather a reasonable audience why not, playing vidya all day so you can afford a house and a decent way of life seems like a pretty good deal :shrug:

If you manage to become popular as a streamer, you need to milk it for all its worth as fast as you can, because as soon as you take a break for just a few days, all the 12 year olds will move on to another bombastic weirdo who screams while playing Fortnite or whatever game the kids are all dumping their allowance into for badges and whatever.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

There really is 2 different worlds of video game streamers. There's the ones who scream at fortnite who all start rich and exploit 11 year olds' attention span issues for e-celebrity status (then half of them creep on 13 year olds and get away with it because of their teen boy disinfo squads). Then there's more reasonable sorts who would probably be doing (or used to do) let's play, but streaming is infinitely more popular these days.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

emSparkly posted:

There really is 2 different worlds of video game streamers. There's the ones who scream at fortnite who all start rich and exploit 11 year olds' attention span issues for e-celebrity status (then half of them creep on 13 year olds and get away with it because of their teen boy disinfo squads). Then there's more reasonable sorts who would probably be doing (or used to do) let's play, but streaming is infinitely more popular these days.

And people actually watch these things you speak of?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

AvesPKS posted:

I do, I just don't inhale.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What do kids game these days? Back in the day we used to play a lot of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Is that still popular? Do kids "game" it a lot?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

What do kids game these days? Back in the day we used to play a lot of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Is that still popular? Do kids "game" it a lot?

Folks are too stupid for proper 4x games these days. If they made it nowadays Sister Godwinson would have huge jiggling anime titties.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

GABA ghoul posted:

I've talked games with one coworkers kid and he likes Earthbound a lot.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

emSparkly posted:

there's no such thing as a reasonable streamer, they make their living by exploiting parasocial relationships while doing absolutely nothing to help anyone but themselves. A fast food worker pulling min wage is at least feeding people.

They're only helping themselves in the short term too (if at all) because "I played video games for eight years" isn't going to win you any interviews once the popularity of you/your game of choice/streaming in general fades

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

there's no such thing as a reasonable streamer, they make their living by exploiting parasocial relationships while doing absolutely nothing to help anyone but themselves. A fast food worker pulling min wage is at least feeding people.

They're only helping themselves in the short term too (if at all) because "I played video games for eight years" isn't going to win you any interviews once the popularity of you/your game of choice/streaming in general fades

Next you're going to tell me actors aren't god's gift to society.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

temple posted:

Lock them up, what are the cops doing? Can we get some tear gas or water hoses? How do they just let people riot and destroy property like that? This wasn't even nominally for political reasons.

We need to get harsher on these types of vandals this is sickening third world behavior.

The NextDoor poster has logged on

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't say you couldn't get paid streaming, just that streaming isn't work

Who gives a gently caress? Work is bullshit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So what happened with the PS5s? Can I have one?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

The NextDoor poster has logged on

My taxes paid for that stuff

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Aren't they showing others how to play the game, or how to get better at playing the game? Is that not the point?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Aren't they showing others how to play the game, or how to get better at playing the game? Is that not the point?

Lol no

It's kind of like how every time a game introduces match making for PvP based on skill level streamers lose their poo poo, because they rely on playing against bad players, and the moment they play against people at their level they stop looking impressive. It's pretty goddamn hilarious.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

yeah streamers! Get a REAL JOB like I do for my job. The things I like and do are purely moral and yours are immoral and bad!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

my job adds zero value to the world and that grinds at me every day. i can hate on streamers for existing, but not for making a buck

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

AvesPKS posted:

A large amount of the streamer audience has two monitors and plays a steam on an alternate monitor while they do something else so they don't feel like they're completely alone in what they're doing. Instead, they feel like they're hanging out with friends.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Lister posted:

A large amount of the streamer audience has two monitors and plays a steam on an alternate monitor while they do something else so they don't feel like they're completely alone in what they're doing. Instead, they feel like they're hanging out with friends.

Really they're no different to people who listen to podcasts in the background if you think about it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tarkus posted:

yeah streamers! Get a REAL JOB like I do for my job. The things I like and do are purely moral and yours are immoral and bad!

I hope you make it on Twitch little buddy but playing video games will still never be work

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

if you see N64 controllers wrapped around a powerline it's a gamer gang initiation thing and they'll kill you!!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

streaming in general fades

I think we can rule this part out, for what it's worth. It's been more than a decade now and streaming just seems to be getting bigger all the time, to the point where its very existence now influences product design right down to the devices themselves, and biz decisions, and corporate policies. If anything will fade its the specific services and apps.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

no it's all over any day now

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

if you see N64 controllers wrapped around a powerline it's a gamer gang initiation thing and they'll kill you!!

How can I tell if my kids are high on Fortnight?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It’s too bad that modern capitalism is only geared towards trying to sell poo poo instead of improving living conditions and building community. Welp, maybe next go round

E. I mean, bonfire reset :darksouls:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lol video games? like a nintendo? people still playing mario 40 years later??

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lol video games? like a nintendo? people still playing mario 40 years later??

There's lot of Marios now. Some of them are even blue Marios, and people want to gently caress them.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mega64 posted:

There's lot of Marios now. Some of them are even blue Marios, and people want to gently caress them.

The referee from mario tennis 64?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Remember when Mario was a boxing referee? I heard the guy was in the family business but I didn't know he was in on fixing the fights.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

emSparkly posted:

Remember when Mario was a boxing referee? I heard the guy was in the family business but I didn't know he was in on fixing the fights.

There should have been a movie for Mike Tyson's Punchout. Except the twist is Mike Tyson wins.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Knormal posted:

So what happened with the PS5s? Can I have one?

It looks like what he had were $100 gift cards, probably for Best Buy (which there is one in Union Square). So in theory, he could say he was "giving away" anything that Best Buy sells. So if he gives a person five $100 gift cards, he gave them a PS5.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

This is not an apology.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bula Vinaka posted:

This is not an apology.

i think that the use of teh word slur "RETARDED" is extremely justified to describe this poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bula Vinaka posted:

This is not an apology.

Never apologize.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Never apologize.

Right, because if you admit guilt they can use it against you in court.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Gamers Stink Up (the place)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Bula Vinaka posted:

This is not an apology.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bula Vinaka posted:

It looks like what he had were $100 gift cards, probably for Best Buy (which there is one in Union Square). So in theory, he could say he was "giving away" anything that Best Buy sells. So if he gives a person five $100 gift cards, he gave them a PS5.
Oh never mind then, I'll just stay here in front of my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018