Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
I know a streamer, mid 30s, was decent at I think destiny, then Apex. Makes enough to no longer work a day job, but both he and his wife have each gained 30+ lbs in the 3 years since he started so I'm not sure it's an overall win. Just looks like it sucks the life out of you and warps your dopamine receptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For thirty eight years, you have been asking: Who is Mario? It's-a-me, Mario.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

there's no such thing as a reasonable streamer, they make their living by exploiting parasocial relationships while doing absolutely nothing to help anyone but themselves. A fast food worker pulling min wage is at least feeding people.

They're only helping themselves in the short term too (if at all) because "I played video games for eight years" isn't going to win you any interviews once the popularity of you/your game of choice/streaming in general fades

:lol::lol::lol:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Archer666 posted:

For thirty eight years, you have been asking: Who is Mario? It's-a-me, Mario.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Dial A For Awesome posted:

How can I tell if my kids are high on Fortnight?

If your children are in middle school or highschool they are definitely doing Fortnite and they are spending actual money on premium skins.

and if you try to stop them they will become a social pariah and get kicked out of all of the 'cool kids only' Discord servers.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

kids today get high by putting vbucks up their butts, know the signs and speak to your child about the dangers of boofing vbucks before it's too late

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

We’re non-violent

*threatens mob violence*

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

At least they weren't vtubers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Szechwan posted:

I know a streamer, mid 30s, was decent at I think destiny, then Apex. Makes enough to no longer work a day job, but both he and his wife have each gained 30+ lbs in the 3 years since he started so I'm not sure it's an overall win. Just looks like it sucks the life out of you and warps your dopamine receptors.

Yeah, you're gonna have to work a ton more than 40 hours a week to do this poo poo, and eventually it gets old and tedious and you're loving stuck with a bunch of insane fans that you have to constantly entertain because even one week off and oops, the algorithm stops showing your poo poo and you lose a ton of viewers and money.

I would hate playing video games as a career.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Booties posted:

We’re non-violent

*threatens mob violence*

If one were charitable, they could interpret that as :thejoke:, but since it's Control Alt Delete it probably shouldn't be viewed charitably.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, you're gonna have to work

let me stop you right there...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Watching Baalorlord Slay the Spire is the most chill, calm thing to do on the Internet.

Plus that dude is a mad card scientist, it's unbelievable what he pulls off, sometimes.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

let me stop you right there...

do you think entertainment isnt work? as in, are you certain you could hold an audience's attention for like an hour without fumbling and loving it up? i mean at the end of the day babysitting is work

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

cumpantry posted:

as in, are you certain you could hold an audience's attention for like an hour without fumbling and loving it up?

100% I loving rule.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

syntaxfunction posted:

100% I loving rule.

I believe you.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Gamers, rinse off

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
more like "wise up"

gottem

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Back in the day we called them lamers. Can't do that anymore. It's PC gone mad. Kinda like their PCs with the crazy lights

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I rarely play online games so when I started playing one recently I saw people with names like D3ATHR34P3R666 and was like, what the gently caress? I thought that poo poo died off decades ago? I genuinely didn't think people still used names like that, let alone with "leet speak" involved.

I really wish it had died off.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

syntaxfunction posted:

I rarely play online games so when I started playing one recently I saw people with names like D3ATHR34P3R666 and was like, what the gently caress? I thought that poo poo died off decades ago? I genuinely didn't think people still used names like that, let alone with "leet speak" involved.

i missed the gently caress out of this dumb poo poo and am glad to hear of its resurgence
sincerely, V3g3t2_420[SkS]

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

after my 100 hour peggle clan raid i have fused with my led gamer chair and am physically incapable of rising up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

They're children, OP. People keep making more of them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dabir posted:

They're children, OP. People keep making more of them

No way, that's loving messed up wtf

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Honestly I don't give a crap if people have a "real job" or not as long as they aren't being shitheads about it like this dude.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I couldn't do all this gaming without my fans, you all are amazing!!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Smugworth posted:

I couldn't do all this gaming without my fans, you all are amazing!!

It still cracks me up when football players don't want to do interviews or talk to the media or fans. Like, you play a game just so people can watch it. Looking at you, Sean Taylor.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sounds pretty smart to me

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

It still cracks me up when football players don't want to do interviews or talk to the media or fans. Like, you play a game just so people can watch it. Looking at you, Sean Taylor.

What if instead of negotiated salaries football players were paid in microtransactions from fans during the game and emojis showed up on the screen when someone paid

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I wouldnt want to do it "professionally" but sometimes i think it would be nice to stream to like 20-30 people so I could pretend to have friends

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Smugworth posted:

What if instead of negotiated salaries football players were paid in microtransactions from fans during the game and emojis showed up on the screen when someone paid

Sure as long as there's also a nice matching infographic showing how much in tax subsidies the team is receiving from local municipalities

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

I'm just here so I don't get fined.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

AvesPKS posted:

What could a football player say on a professional level that would be even the least bit interesting? In person, sure, they may have some good thoughts to share but the "We really gave it our all but it didn't work." type stuff is just fluff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dsf posted:

I wouldnt want to do it "professionally" but sometimes i think it would be nice to stream to like 20-30 people so I could pretend to have friends

you have about 5000 pretend friends at any one time friend

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I saw a gamer once

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

cumpantry posted:

do you think entertainment isnt work? as in, are you certain you could hold an audience's attention for like an hour without fumbling and loving it up? i mean at the end of the day babysitting is work

we're talking about streaming, not entertaining. But to answer your question I would have a panic attack halfway on the stage so the only entertainment would be a brief glimpse of me sobbing

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

we're talking about streaming, not entertaining. But to answer your question I would have a panic attack halfway on the stage so the only entertainment would be a brief glimpse of me sobbing

The old me would have enjoyed seeing thus. Not the new me, though :glomp:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The poster who compared him to an imperial aristocrat throwing pennies to his subjects is bang on. Free playstation kids but ya got ta show up and dance for your supper!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
this would never happen back in my day, gamers would never go outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

kids today get high by putting vbucks up their butts, know the signs and speak to your child about the dangers of boofing vbucks before it's too late

I’ll boof whatever industrial solvents I want, you aren’t my real dad.