Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

*observing the alienation of people who have devoted themselves body and soul to the inhuman alienation engine of capitalism* drat,,,,, seems like having your needs fulfilled fucks you up,,,,,,,,,

as someone with a fair bit of anhedonia, Im pretty confident that its this. Id like to try not being alienated and atomized, but I need food and shelter because theyre on the bottom of the pyramid and I live under capitalism so gently caress me i guess

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Al! posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hell yeah based numbers freak

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

It seems to me that some posters in this thread might be conflating possession of goods with personal fulfillment. Finding an ersatz fulfillment in material goods is the foundation of consumerism, that if you can just find the right combination of commodities, you'll be able to fill the hole in yourself that society can't fill. I'd like to think everyone here would agree that this idea is absurd.

There are plenty of other personal ambitions toward which one can struggle. Social bonds and relationships have already been mentioned - the desire to form a community, or to carve out a space of your own with your own labor, or to gain the respect of your peers, or to rise to a position of leadership within the community or polity, and more. One may have more humble ambitions, such as mastering a skill or building your own home or training a bear to dance. What these things have in common is that they're obstacles that require time, energy, and often resources to overcome, and its the conquering of obstacles that brings self-actualization and self-worth. In the current system of wage labor, our time and energy are spent enriching a class of distant and aloof shareholders. Our resources are spent toward the basic necessities of life, especially for those of us who labor for low wages. Furthermore, liberalism's monomaniacal focus on the individual creates a drive toward atomization. We have nothing left with which to pursue these goals.

The wealthy have no real obstacles in our society. They can just buy most of those things I mentioned above with money they make without labor. They're surrounded by sycophants and media telling them at all times that they're philosopher kings ruling by moral right (if they weren't moral, they wouldn't be rich). The only avenue for ambition they have left is to get a higher score than the next guy. Since they mostly just hire people to do the labor involved with that, there's very little direct connection with the result. This is the very same alienation we experience in the working class, which creates the same malaise but with a more decadent character.

Of course, I'm not an expert in political theory, sociology, psychology, etc. This is just my opinion based on my experiences and what I see around me.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Son of Sorrow posted:

It seems to me that some posters in this thread might be conflating possession of goods with personal fulfillment. Finding an ersatz fulfillment in material goods is the foundation of consumerism, that if you can just find the right combination of commodities, you'll be able to fill the hole in yourself that society can't fill. I'd like to think everyone here would agree that this idea is absurd.

There are plenty of other personal ambitions toward which one can struggle. Social bonds and relationships have already been mentioned - the desire to form a community, or to carve out a space of your own with your own labor, or to gain the respect of your peers, or to rise to a position of leadership within the community or polity, and more. One may have more humble ambitions, such as mastering a skill or building your own home or training a bear to dance. What these things have in common is that they're obstacles that require time, energy, and often resources to overcome, and its the conquering of obstacles that brings self-actualization and self-worth. In the current system of wage labor, our time and energy are spent enriching a class of distant and aloof shareholders. Our resources are spent toward the basic necessities of life, especially for those of us who labor for low wages. Furthermore, liberalism's monomaniacal focus on the individual creates a drive toward atomization. We have nothing left with which to pursue these goals.

The wealthy have no real obstacles in our society. They can just buy most of those things I mentioned above with money they make without labor. They're surrounded by sycophants and media telling them at all times that they're philosopher kings ruling by moral right (if they weren't moral, they wouldn't be rich). The only avenue for ambition they have left is to get a higher score than the next guy. Since they mostly just hire people to do the labor involved with that, there's very little direct connection with the result. This is the very same alienation we experience in the working class, which creates the same malaise but with a more decadent character.

Of course, I'm not an expert in political theory, sociology, psychology, etc. This is just my opinion based on my experiences and what I see around me.

ok

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Son of Sorrow posted:

Of course, I'm not an expert in political theory, sociology, psychology, etc.

i am :smug:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

todays newest rereg is an AI... pretty dope!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
neither. its not having a beautiful brain.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

*observing the alienation of people who have devoted themselves body and soul to the inhuman alienation engine of capitalism* drat,,,,, seems like having your needs fulfilled fucks you up,,,,,,,,,

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

mark immune posted:

todays newest rereg is an AI... pretty dope!

I've recently become more interested in political issues. However, I would prefer that my main not develop a reputation as a CSPAM poster, so I made a new account to post here. Looking at my reception in this thread, it seems like that was a good idea.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

ok

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Son of Sorrow posted:

I've recently become more interested in political issues. However, I would prefer that my main not develop a reputation as a CSPAM poster, so I made a new account to post here. Looking at my reception in this thread, it seems like that was a good idea.

this is loser bitch poo poo sorry

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mods please nuke this guy for extreme cowardice

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

let it play

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

if my internet friends find out Im a giant stupid bitch Id never live it down

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I'm looking more and more correct with every post. Keep it up.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Son of Sorrow posted:

I'm looking more and more correct with every post. Keep it up.

lol cool av

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I made the mistake of asking the climate change thread if they knew of any activist groups one could join that were applying political pressure to the US government to mitigate its climate policies. I was pretty much instantly accused of being a cop (???) and given the av. Is it standard law enforcement practice to entrap people online into introducing ballot measures and supporting more progressive candidates?

What happened here to make this forum like this?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

everyone hates my weird rear end dogshit posts???? what gives?? whats friggin wrong with this place?!?

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

everyone hates my weird rear end dogshit posts???? what gives?? whats friggin wrong with this place?!?

I don't understand what critical faux pas I'm making. I'd like to know!

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

lmao

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

wow. no one cares about my dumbass opinions. who hurt yall?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

this is loser bitch poo poo sorry

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Son of Sorrow posted:

I don't understand what critical faux pas I'm making. I'd like to know!

ill answer your question but only if you ask it from your main

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

ill answer your question but only if you ask it from your main

Why do you care? This is exactly why I made the alt. I don't want some maniac to start following me back to my home hobby forum to continue allegations that I'm a law enforcement officer assigned to the Something Awful forums.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Son of Sorrow posted:

I made the mistake of asking the climate change thread if they knew of any activist groups one could join that were applying political pressure to the US government to mitigate its climate policies. I was pretty much instantly accused of being a cop (???) and given the av. Is it standard law enforcement practice to entrap people online into introducing ballot measures and supporting more progressive candidates?

lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's likely a lot of people who would be making art more or less full time if they could get health insurance or didn't have to worry about rent.

Son of Sorrow posted:

Why do you care? This is exactly why I made the alt. I don't want some maniac to start following me back to my home hobby forum to continue allegations that I'm a law enforcement officer assigned to the Something Awful forums.

FWIW I get the concern and yeah, the response seems a little unreasonable. But also :justpost:.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

it's the abundance of bananas, op. did you ever notice how the soviet union didn't have access to bananas and were making remarkable progress until suddenly bananas were imported. it'll be evident when they go extinct in the next few years. the banana fungus is going to liberate humanity

Son of Sorrow posted:

they were lied to, manipulated and betrayed by bourgeoisie politics. they have observed the behaviours and patterns of "progressives" who do nothing and achieve no real progress. it has made posters suspicious of people who promote liberal policy and bourgeoisie politicians, such as yourself

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

before he could even run for office the god drat bourgeoisie liberals imprisoned Michael Avenatti

read killing hope

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Son of Sorrow posted:

look, immediately coming in to a cspam shitposting thread (you can tell because nobody is being serious) with an effortpost was your first mistake. did you mistake the gansta spongebob as an actual argument?

The second is admitting "I would prefer that my main not develop a reputation as a CSPAM poster" because it just makes people think you're here to stir poo poo and is weirdly protective of an internet account's reputation

The third is constantly doubling down like you have since that post

In conclusion, my advice is to :justpost: with your main and accept that cspam is a part of the forums, and avoid any thread with less than 100 pages if you want to be semi-serious here

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
anyway I would spend my time developing genetically modified fruits that produce THC. imagine a munchie mango, a weed-melon, or a dank date

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Son of Sorrow posted:

I've recently become more interested in political issues. However, I would prefer that my main not develop a reputation as a CSPAM poster, so I made a new account to post here.

what a pussy

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Son of Sorrow posted:

lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
buying multiple SA accounts. lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

A guy reregs after getting interested in gaming and immediately replies to a thread in Imp Zone called "post the best pixelated boobs" with his opinions on feminist representation in the gaming industry

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

A guy reregs after getting interested in gaming and immediately replies to a thread in Imp Zone called "post the best pixelated boobs" with his opinions on feminist representation in the gaming industry

Lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

id love to see that

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004