Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

War and Pieces posted:

As long as basic needs are met who cares?

yah, sorry if being secure makes you feel sad couldn't be me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

my haters become my waiters when I sup at the table of success, imo

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

*observing the alienation of people who have devoted themselves body and soul to the inhuman alienation engine of capitalism* drat,,,,, seems like having your needs fulfilled fucks you up,,,,,,,,,

lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Al! posted:

we got a four acount day folks!!! we did it!!!

allahu akbar

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Al! posted:

if we get a 5 account day i'm going to lose my loving mind

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Al! posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hell yeah based numbers freak

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Son of Sorrow posted:

It seems to me that some posters in this thread might be conflating possession of goods with personal fulfillment. Finding an ersatz fulfillment in material goods is the foundation of consumerism, that if you can just find the right combination of commodities, you'll be able to fill the hole in yourself that society can't fill. I'd like to think everyone here would agree that this idea is absurd.

There are plenty of other personal ambitions toward which one can struggle. Social bonds and relationships have already been mentioned - the desire to form a community, or to carve out a space of your own with your own labor, or to gain the respect of your peers, or to rise to a position of leadership within the community or polity, and more. One may have more humble ambitions, such as mastering a skill or building your own home or training a bear to dance. What these things have in common is that they're obstacles that require time, energy, and often resources to overcome, and its the conquering of obstacles that brings self-actualization and self-worth. In the current system of wage labor, our time and energy are spent enriching a class of distant and aloof shareholders. Our resources are spent toward the basic necessities of life, especially for those of us who labor for low wages. Furthermore, liberalism's monomaniacal focus on the individual creates a drive toward atomization. We have nothing left with which to pursue these goals.

The wealthy have no real obstacles in our society. They can just buy most of those things I mentioned above with money they make without labor. They're surrounded by sycophants and media telling them at all times that they're philosopher kings ruling by moral right (if they weren't moral, they wouldn't be rich). The only avenue for ambition they have left is to get a higher score than the next guy. Since they mostly just hire people to do the labor involved with that, there's very little direct connection with the result. This is the very same alienation we experience in the working class, which creates the same malaise but with a more decadent character.

Of course, I'm not an expert in political theory, sociology, psychology, etc. This is just my opinion based on my experiences and what I see around me.

ok

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

todays newest rereg is an AI... pretty dope!

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

ok

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

if my internet friends find out I’m a giant stupid bitch I’d never live it down

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

lmao

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

wow. no one cares about my dumbass opinions. who hurt y’all?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

A guy reregs after getting interested in gaming and immediately replies to a thread in Imp Zone called "post the best pixelated boobs" with his opinions on feminist representation in the gaming industry

lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

81023 posted:

hustling to a whole bunch of fake customers

this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019