Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
everything can be separated into bubblegum and grass. bubblegum is snappy, easy to hum with a clear progression. grass (kraut) is just jamming, long abstract grooves. the animals are bubblegum. the Dead C is grass. the Beatles are both. there are beats and jams which seems self-explanatory. a beat can be grass or a beat can be bubblegum. same with jams. theres also boogie which is a whole nother thing. Johnny Cash, Rick James and the Murder Junkies were all people that boogied so they were able to capture that boogie in their music. a violin is just a fiddle. Wesley Willis doesnt get enough credit for being a punk rock innovator. the Ramones could bear up your dad

Les Os fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
More like toxicology cause this thread stinks lol

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I bet you listen to Weezer

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

People praised it at the time it came out, even as a "comeback", but it was probably nearly as weak of as N.E.W.S. and most of the stuff that preceded it, honestly. No one really wanted a jazzfunk album in 2004.

What's funny is that the best post-3121 song (or material at all, even) he released wouldn't come until HARP2 with Xtralovable, which was just a worse jazzfunk remake of the 1984 demo bootleg classic, which still remains the superior version, weird rape fantasies and all. Basically, it was a very dry ~20 years for Prince after The Gold Experience.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'm here to chew bubblegum and eat rear end.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The only real True Music is Robbie Williams. Quote this if you remember the video where he is a skeleton.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

ABBA's new album is poo poo beyond belief

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I like Ween

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The only music you'll catch me listening to is one hundred geese honking.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Les Os posted:

the Ramones could bear up your dad

https://i.gifer.com/BslX.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lil bip posted:

I like Ween

They were awesome at red rocks on Thursday

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some good music...

Background music cassettes from GAP stores 1992 - 2006
https://archive.org/details/gapmusic?tab=collection

K-Mart background music cassettes 80's and 90's
https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers?tab=collection

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lil bip posted:

I like Ween

:yeah:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

laserghost posted:

ABBA's new album is poo poo beyond belief

Was this a year or two back now or did they put something else out?

I recall trying to give it a listen awhile and lol it was awful.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Saalkin posted:

Was this a year or two back now or did they put something else out?

I recall trying to give it a listen awhile and lol it was awful.

The one from late 2021, but I only remembered to give it a listen recently. It's just... why did they even bothered

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

laserghost posted:

The one from late 2021, but I only remembered to give it a listen recently. It's just... why did they even bothered

Okay yeah sounds right. Yeah It was dog poo poo.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
What about US Maple

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
only 24 hours in a day, only 12 notes that a man can play

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

When you fart with a loose sphincter it's not musical because there are too many inharmonic overtones you need to tighten that sphincter up and get it resonating then you will have music

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

CHUMBAWAMBA MEGATHREAD

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

neato burrito posted:

CHUMBAWAMBA MEGATHREAD

I TAKE A CIDER DRINK

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Revins posted:

What about US Maple

theyre good. now thats what I call grass music. do you like the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

whats your favorite chord progression? I like II V I

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I'm here to do two things -- chew bubblegum and sort things into bubblegum and grass -- and I'm all out of lawnmowers to cut the grass that your rear end is *stares at u*

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cumology

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Les Os posted:

theyre good. now thats what I call grass music. do you like the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

i hadn't actually listened to them until now. I listened to a couple songs and I enjoyed them because I just smoked a bit ago

e. I especially liked the intro & the outro, that one was neat

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

bossy lady posted:

I % % %
IV % I %
V7 % I %

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bossy lady posted:

A jazz fan I see.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Always appreciated the irony in how Animal Collective and XTC released songs called "Grass" that were actually bubblegum. Really got my head spinning trying to explain that one to my friends haha.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DEAD I AM THE ONE

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Revins posted:

i hadn't actually listened to them until now. I listened to a couple songs and I enjoyed them because I just smoked a bit ago

e. I especially liked the intro & the outro, that one was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGXtohOs7c

I think this one is their best but I havent listened to their latest stuff

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

Always appreciated the irony in how Animal Collective and XTC released songs called "Grass" that were actually bubblegum. Really got my head spinning trying to explain that one to my friends haha.

this person gets it

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

bossy lady posted:

post the licc

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Post-Christian Hardcore Surf

Polyrhythmic Desert Powerviolence

Intelligent Garage Doo-wop

Rocksteady Electronic throat-noise

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

super black metal

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lol I remember when I was making poo poo music and people were eating it up. Nobody has any loving taste, they just wanna hear stupid crap. It's a lot harder when you start being a pro musician. Nobody wants to vibe with the ultra serious clangy hellscapes, you have to move like a zebra who is a piano in the industry, through shadow and sun splashes, faster and faster, beyond the days of Mario paint sequencer through 5 distortion pedals and a circuit bent 808.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hardcore Ambient Folk-Jazz

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Dungeon Noise Polka

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Les Os posted:

everything can be separated into bubblegum and grass. bubblegum is snappy, easy to hum with a clear progression. grass (kraut) is just jamming, long abstract grooves. the animals are bubblegum. the Dead C is grass. the Beatles are both. there are beats and jams which seems self-explanatory. a beat can be grass or a beat can be bubblegum. same with jams. there’s also boogie which is a whole nother thing. Johnny Cash, Rick James and the Murder Junkies were all people that boogied so they were able to capture that boogie in their music. a violin is just a fiddle. Wesley Willis doesn’t get enough credit for being a punk rock innovator. the Ramones could bear up your dad

Wasn't expecting to see The Dead C mention on gbs in tyol 2023 so props op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Poohs Packin posted:

Hardcore Ambient Folk-Jazz

pretty sure venetian snares had a period of doing this