Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
everything can be separated into bubblegum and grass. bubblegum is snappy, easy to hum with a clear progression. grass (kraut) is just jamming, long abstract grooves. the animals are bubblegum. the Dead C is grass. the Beatles are both. there are beats and jams which seems self-explanatory. a beat can be grass or a beat can be bubblegum. same with jams. there’s also boogie which is a whole nother thing. Johnny Cash, Rick James and the Murder Junkies were all people that boogied so they were able to capture that boogie in their music. a violin is just a fiddle. Wesley Willis doesn’t get enough credit for being a punk rock innovator. the Ramones could bear up your dad

Les Os fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I bet you listen to Weezer

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Revins posted:

What about US Maple

they’re good. now that’s what I call grass music. do you like the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Revins posted:

i hadn't actually listened to them until now. I listened to a couple songs and I enjoyed them because I just smoked a bit ago

e. I especially liked the intro & the outro, that one was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGXtohOs7c

I think this one is their best but I haven’t listened to their latest stuff

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

Always appreciated the irony in how Animal Collective and XTC released songs called "Grass" that were actually bubblegum. Really got my head spinning trying to explain that one to my friends haha.

this person gets it

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Dungeon Noise Polka

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Hardawn posted:

Is a mantra bubble gum in your estimation?

This is a really interesting question. On the one hand mantras should be easily repeatable and lend themselves to melody. “Do the Hustle” is a mantra which is obviously bubblegum. On the other hand, repetition ad nauseam of a phrase where the sounds of the words being spoken begin to lose their original meaning seems like more of a grass thing, like “I want to get high but I don’t want brain damage” in this song by the Flaming Lips and Lightning Bolt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ8ZpETteR4

I’d say it depends on the structure of the recitation. You could chant the Hare Krishna as bubblegum or grass, just like you could have a bubblegum folk song or a grass one

Les Os fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Heavy Metal is the most phantasmagorical genre. If the root of all our anxieties stem from childhood then it’s the most connected to that primal state which makes sense since it grew out of the blues which seems like more of a cosmic, pre-human idea even if your woman did you wrong. KISS and GWAR obviously came out of a child’s nightmares. Sleep is like whale sounds you might hear as an embryo. I reckon it’s more accurate to call it a primitive respomse to the advancement of industrial society. That’s why DeVo is heavy metal and on the same frequency as Black Sabbath or Napalm Death