Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I can only vaguely recall how the beginning of Albert's story went from reading a GameFAQS guide decades ago for the SNES versions, but I think it's fair to say it's only going to get worse before it gets better for Albert here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Wait, how does the Swordsman class not have the relevant skill for a katana? :psyduck:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Saiva: GO FORTH AND WRECK HAVOC IN MY NAME, CHILDREN!

Elore: Nah, I think I'm gonna side with dad on this one; his creation games just appeal to me.

Schirach: Meh.

Death, I'm not really feeling it, think I'm gonna go chill in the underworld---

Saruin: MOTHER, I SHALL BRING DESTRUCTION AND TERROR THE LIKES THIS WORLD HAS EVER SEEN, FOR THE LAUGHS! ...annnd maybe in your name. If I remember.

Saiva: And this is why you're Mommy's favorite :love:

Schirach: Ugu, drat it Saruin, now we have to get involved so we don't look bad! Come on, Death!

Elore: Well, shi---wait, hold on, weren't you three born after Saiva died?

Saiva: :rip:

Saruin: Oh, thanks a lot, dick! Now it's personal!

Why yes, what I wrote is hardly accurate to the lore, why do you ask?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
And that leaves...two, if I'm not mistaken? Without giving too much away, one being someone who was the subject of an LP of the original Super Famicom version of this game before the writer called it quits for reasons, and the other being AWESOME, with an equally AWESOME bro.

Editor's note: Awesomeness is subjective, and may or may not be as awesome I actually think.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
A bit soon to discuss this, but does the new game plus function allow you to choose a new main character, or are you slated with the one you chose at the beginning? The former could allow Five Headed Snake God to explore the other characters... assuming that works that way, of course, amongst other possible factors I won't go into.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Not shown: The option to muck about and chase helpless merchant ships, kicking their butts, most likely choosing to spare their lives, and getting 100 gold in the process. And there is a fairly nice rapier in the town you could grind for if you wished to do so.

However, doing so would obviously eat through your time, so it's easy to see why 5-Headed Snaked God didn't do that.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

5-Headed Snake God posted:

The real reason I didn't do that is because I didn't know it was an option. Which makes this the first thing I've learned about the game since the LP started, but probably not the last.

Heck, you could take on every other encounter in the sea as well if you so wanted for arguably less gold; the problem is, like you mentioned earlier, there are events that slip by early, and battling things, even if you restrained yourself to the merchant ships, could easily cost you time. At least the way you did it saved you a considerable amount of time. I should mention, the rapier you can buy is around 2000 gold, but outclasses the foil and axe you have right now in damage, so that's something for any considering that.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Jee, so many choices---Hawke.

I mean, come on, he's a pirate who's adventuring with his pirate lizard bro!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Snake Maze posted:

:actually: this was changed for the remaster, it is indeed possible to recruit Dowd on a fresh file with anyone.

Anyway, I'll vote for:
Patrick - Best facial hair, great voice acting
Guella Ha - Lizard
Monica - New character for the remaster!
Aisha - Someone has to look out for her and make sure she learns how to suplex dragons

When you do the mid/lategame quests that give unique recruits, will there be votes about swapping them in or are they destined for the sidelines?

Seconding this, if only so our pirate lizard bro can explore the world in Hawke's stead, seeing as Hawke will be occupied trying to repair his ship, or something like that. Mind you, this is based on my memories from the old abandoned LP from maybe near a decade ago.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

A Simpsons reference from one of the older episodes, just nod, smile, and pretend you understood it.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

I suppose class choice isn't as interesting to people as characters. Which is fair enough. I may as well call the vote here since there doesn't seem to be much more interest.

Our final lineup is:

Barbara the Entertainer
Monica the Imperial Knight
Diana the Ranger
Guella Ha the Estamirian Rebel
and Patrick the Imperial Scholar

I'll also keep quest information blind.

Thanks to everyone who voted! I'll get to work on collecting our initial characters, opening up the world, and acquiring some starting quests, and then we can get into the meat of the game and the LP.

To be fair, some of us are going into this blind, and have no idea what classes there are. That said, looking forward to what you're cooking up.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

I have no idea what is optimal and this is a SaGa game but I'll bite the hooks of:

Free the women kidnapped by Wuhan
Investigate the crying lizards behind Oapu's weapon shop
Investigate the death of Buck the shopkeeper in Melvir

I'll back these.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Meanwhile, in some alternate timeline:

:pirate: "Guella Ha, you're like a brother to me, and you know I would support you no matter what, but I have to ask: an Estamirian Rebel? Did you feel some kind of call for justice of some sort?"
:dbuddy: "Nah, I just wanted an excuse to use a katana, for the laughs."
:pirate: "Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense."

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Investigate the death of Buck the shopkeeper in Melvir
Find the Melvir innkeeper's missing daughter
Get the ancient scroll from Hawke

This seems reasonable. At least, the first two should be accomplishable next to each other...I think. At the very least, getting that scroll from Hawke should be easy...ish. Maybe :shrug:

Edit: Whoops, forgot Wuhan's fate. I doubt I'll sway anything with my vote, but still, spare him. You've done your part, now's the time to let the justice system do its part...why do I hear bitter, jaded laughing?

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 31, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Find Captain Silver's treasure
Attend the council of knights

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Kill the fiends near Saoki

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Feather
Hawke
Silver's Treasure

Seconding this

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Avi posted:

Make haste!

I'm unsure if this is the quest line I'm thinking of, but Avi's not kidding that you should make haste. Failing to do will result in... unpleasant things happening. Though, the reward for letting said things happen is arguably better. That is all I have to say on the matter for now, as I do not wish to spoil things.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Enter Mt. Tomae to meet Pyrix and/or stop the monster attack on Jelton
"Seeking extermination assistance with creepy butterfly"
Find Silver's Treasure

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Enter Mt. Tomae to meet Pyrix and/or stop the monster attack on Jelton
The remainder of the Geckling cave

Also, :smith:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

I think this is more of a :unsmith: moment. It's a spirit being put to rest and a living person letting go of long-held resentment. It's a bittersweet but ultimately positive ending.

Honestly, I was looking for something more along the lines of "manly tears", but couldn't find it. Yours is probably the closest I can get to that.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
There...is an optional way of getting the Ice Sword, but I'm already saying too much as it is. I'll just leave off with some ominous laughter. Ah ha...ahahaha....

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Get the Ice Sword from Galahad...
...by diplomacy
...by force

...by force

BY FORCE

You know what, diplomacy seems like a reasonable solution. :)

Save Lord Heinrich's friend from execution
Find a cure for the Bafal emperor's illness

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Look, grabbing a prized possession out of someone's hands definitely counts as "by force" in my book. As with most decisions in the game, there's a reason for choosing it, though I'm not surprised to see the votes swing toward the diplomatic option.

Oh, I'd say for those of us who know, the urge for murder was there, but we tried to clamp down on our murder hobo tendencies and be somewhat reasonable.

That said, I wouldn't be averse to you just offing Galahad for his shiny sword anyway. :v

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...WITH MURDER!:black101: Screw it, giving in to the dark thoughts for the shiny sword!

Let's also give Crystal Lake another go, see if we've beefed up enough.

And finally, a cure for the Bafal Emperor.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

I gotta say, I respect your dedication to this. You clearly know what you want.

To clarify, are you suggesting an exploration of the area or an attempt to get the Aquamarine?

Good question. While tempting to just outright grab the Aquamarine, it's probably best to explore the area and see what we can find, as well as gauge if we can actually tackle the enemies.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Retrieve the Aquamarine from Crystal Lake

...by force :unsmigghh:

"My daughter went to Tarmitta and hasn't come home yet."

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Five-Headed Snake God posted:

Didn't the throne room guard say the temple was "beneath" the lake? Sure doesn't look like it.

I think the key word is "was". Who's to say it wasn't recently risen from the lake?

As for what to do:

Deliver the Ignigarde to Avi
Get the Raincloud Armlet from Adyllis
Retrieve the Aquamarine from Crystal Lake

Also, gotta feel sorry for Galahad. Sure, he did the right thing, but it definitely cost him.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Here's the exhange:

That reads as present tense to me.

...Flub in the script/story it is, then. :shrug:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
- retrieve the Aquamarine from Crystal Lake
- get the Fatestone from the Isle of Evil

And what I don't think we've done the maps (or at least, not recently).
-Jungle, Level 1

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

EDIT: Actually, never mind. :ssh:

:iiam:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm still here, just have no opinion on what happens since I don't know what events lead to what results.

Pretty much this.

"You gotta help me, I don't know what to do. I can't make decisions; I'm a president!"

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

taichara posted:

Let's see ~

How about

- Find Captain Silver's treasure (let's try again!)
- Take the job at the South Estamir pub

and

- check out the Desert Ruins & Nisa Cavern

These, especially Captain Silver's treasure, it's taunted us long enough.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, the way I heard it, it was not by his hand that he was once again given flesh, but rather that he was called there by humans who wished to pay him tribute. And sure, some might argue that he steals men's souls and makes them his slaves, but, perhaps the same could be said about all religions.

Meh, those words sound as empty as his soul. Mankind ill needs saviors such as him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Snake Maze posted:

Check in with the mummy salesman

and do the treasure maps on Walon Isle while you're in the area (Jungle and Geckling Cave)

Let's get that drat Silver's treasure out of the way.