Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Shitenshi posted:

I'm glad I'm reading this LP instead of playing the game because the solution to that informal puzzle with the dinosaurs sounds like the kind of thing that would make me tear my hair out and say, "Of course, it's SaGa."

The intended solution is probably to either dodge them on the field or use a proficiency to sneak past. Making them disappear by retreating is just the easy route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Guella Ha is great.

Also, to go all the way back to the first update:

5-Headed Snake God posted:

You can see button prompts on the screen, which I haven't found a way to remove. You'll just have to get used to them.
Not sure what the binding is on other platforms, but on switch, hitting minus lets you hide the pompts... and the compass :doh:. No way to toggle them separately that I'm aware of, but you can at least get rid of the button prompts most of the time.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually, Dowd is also not an option, assuming this is a fresh file, because the only way to unlock him for other protagonists to recruit is by playing Jamil's story. As this involves a quest that's open to everyone, I'll wait until that quest is in-progress before going into too much more detail, but fun coincidence, the sequence of events requires Barbara to be recruited.

:actually: this was changed for the remaster, it is indeed possible to recruit Dowd on a fresh file with anyone.

Anyway, I'll vote for:
Patrick - Best facial hair, great voice acting
Guella Ha - Lizard
Monica - New character for the remaster!
Aisha - Someone has to look out for her and make sure she learns how to suplex dragons

When you do the mid/lategame quests that give unique recruits, will there be votes about swapping them in or are they destined for the sidelines?

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 11, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Barbara - Entertainer
Monica - Imperial Knight
Diana - Ranger
Guella Ha - Estamir Rebel
Patrick - Imperial Scholar

Trying to balance advanced and basic classes with minimal overlap in weapons.

For info, I'd say go ahead and play blind, since that sounds more in the spirit of what the LP is aiming for (and the remaster widened the windows for some of the tighter quests anyway)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
- Guard a man who wants to see the catacombs beneath Estamir
- Find the boy who went missing from Yassi
- Climb Mt. Scurve and steal a feather from the nest of the lord of the birds

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Investigate the death of Buck the shopkeeper in Melvir
Find the Melvir innkeeper's missing daughter
Find the boy who went missing from Yassi

As for Wuhan...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Bodyguard the guy in Aurefont
Kill the bugs in the Altours orchard
Climb Mt. Scurve

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The low favor variants for the scenes in this quest are really interesting. Not because of the scenes themselves (It's basically just "Can I have the amulet?" "No") but because I don't think they're actually possible to trigger through normal play - with the way favor is calculated, hitting 0 favor with a god is impossible unless you start the game at 0, and nobody starts the game with 0 favor with Cyril or Amut. There's also barely any scenes like this in the game where your favor changes things, it's almost entirely restricted to this quest. Is it a leftover from a point in development where favor was supposed to work differently, or is it just like that because that's SaGa? :shrug:

For next time, I vote for
Orchard
Bodyguard
Treasure hunting in ligau plains

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I love Pyrix :allears:

He looks so spooky and intimidating and he’s so unfailingly polite and friendly. He doesn’t even finish you off if you attack him unprovoked, what a softie.

We need money so clearly we should
Find Captain Silver's treasure (and the jungle treasure map while we’re there)
Which probably involves
Exploring the jungle so we may as well
explore the remainder of the geckling cave while we’re there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
IIRC the Ice Sword also ignores Pyrix's self-immolation shield, so it's a great weapon if you want to kill him. But why would you want to kill him? He's so nice :kimchi:

We've got a clear quest hook here so let's
Get the Raincloud Armlet from Adyllis
Deliver the Ignigarde to Avi

and
Check in with the mummy salesman

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Yeah, there's another set of four elemental lords in Romancing SaGa 3, but they're completely different looking. These guys are exclusive to Romancing SaGa 1 (and they probably show up in the gatcha phone games somewhere)

They were in the SNES version of Romancing SaGa as well, but they all looked more generic back then. (Also Adyllis was a fairly traditional western dragon instead of whatever she is now)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Complete_Cynic posted:

Strom really is super affable for keeping a dragon keeping a sacrifice around like that, huh?

My headcanon is that the Water Dragon Rite was never a human sacrifice thing, the stories just got corrupted over time. Either that or Strom really mellowed out in his old age.

Retrieve the Aquamarine from Crystal Lake
Get the Fatestone from the Isle of Evil

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The Ghost Ship is not immune to instant death, amusingly enough. If you get here early it's possible to win anyway with a lot of luck by sparking the right move mid-fight. (This happened to me on my first playthrough, so on my second playthough I thought "Ah, right, the Aqumarine, that one's a pretty easy earlygame quest". Tragedy ensued)

Find Captain Silver's treasure
Get the Fatestone from the Isle of Evil

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I think Minstrel Song is a pretty good intro to the series, if the LP makes you want to play I'd say give it a shot.

The Emerald of Evil is clearly in good hands, so let's

and get the easy treasure maps:
- Steppes of Galessa, Level 1
- Kaklim Desert, Level 1
- New Road, Level 2

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, I've got the game.

I assume that the best way to go through my first run is to find choose a cool character (i.e., Hawke or Sif) and just do whatever quest tickles my fancy until the end game arrives. Don't worry too much about BR and don't try to sneak past every enemy, but don't grind, right?

Yeah, I think that's the best way to handle things for your first playthrough. If you talk to the kids from the volunteer brigade regularly, they actually have pretty good tutorials for how all the mechanics work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Assassin's guild is... good for grinding out weapon tempers, at least? :shrug:

and do the treasure maps on Walon Isle while you're in the area (Jungle and Geckling Cave)