Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Yes please share I too have many beets

Edit to add: I've made beet dip (cooked grated beets + Greek yogurt + lemon juice + dill) and a whole lot of pizza with pesto, beets, red onion and feta or blue cheese. I've also diced them up for salads and roasted them with carrots for a side dish. I need to either cook or dehydrate these soon cause they're going bad in the fridge.

Chernobyl Princess fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

Made risotto with csa beets, carrots, garlic and onions. Also some leftover chicken and kale from my garden and some goat cheese for added goat cheesiness. Very good. Very pink due to beets.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

fr0id posted:

Could you post your basic risotto recipe on here to help give folks ideas?

Sure!

Basic ingredients and eyeballed measurements

- 1.5 cups rice
- 3ish tbsp fat (volume really depends on the type of fat you use)
- 1/2 ish cup dry white wine
- Good soup stock
-1 cup Parmesan or other hard, salty cheese
- The stuff you want to add to your risotto, assume about 3 or 4 cups of add-ons for every cup of dry rice you use.

First prep all your additions. Toss veggies with salt, pepper, olive oil. Then I roasted the beets, carrots, and single kohlrabi (which turns out to be a terrible way to do kohlrabi, very woody) at 425 for about 20 minutes. I also sauteed some kale in olive oil, little salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Saute an onion in the fat of your choice (my husband hunts so we use a lot of duck and goose fat, but olive oil or butter works great). Add some crushed garlic. Add some more fat and about a cup and a half of short grain rice. You probably should use risotto rice for this, but I use sushi rice because I buy it in 20lb bags and I believe in using what I've got.

Start heating up about six to eight cups of stock. Use good stuff, this is where a lot of flavor comes from.

Stir the rice with the fat until every grain is toasted and it starts to smell a bit nutty. Add about a half cup of dry white wine. (I keep a Bota box of Pinot grigio just for cooking with, it stores better for longer.) Stir.

Once the rice has soaked up most of the wine, begin ladlihg stock into the rice, stirring with every addition until it starts to look a little dry. Every so often, when you think it might be done, taste the rice for texture.

Once it's fully soft and nice and not grainy in the middle, turn off the heat and stir in about a cup of Parmesan or other hard, salty cheese. If you're doing goat cheese too, add that in as well. Once it's nice and creamy stir in all your additions.

Taste for flavor and texture, add more goat cheese, stock, spices, or whatever you think it needs.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I feel like that depends so much on your fridge environment, like not just brand and temp but like what else you have in there.

This week's haul. More of this seedy German sourdough, more whole wheat flour. Also more eggplant, which I dislike but can probably hide in pasta sauce and fritters like dino. suggested, and a single bell pepper, which I loathe.

Also a ton of tomatoes, tomatillos, basil, potatoes, leeks, jalapenos and shishitos... Along with the masses of cherry tomatoes and sixteen pounds of potatoes I pulled from my own garden. Oh, and the pound of blue oyster mushrooms from our Mushroom Lady.

So tonight we'll be roasting a chicken with mashed potatoes and a regular old salad. And leek and potato soup. And I'll make some tomato sauce and tomatillo salsa, which means I'll probably have to order some more lids for canning.

What would y'all do with these shishitos? I'm not sure whether to pickle them or what.

eta: Oh also we found some wild grapes while we were walking to the market! What a weird flavor. We took a cutting and are gonna try to start some seeds for shits & grins/free rootstock for a vinifera graft.

Chernobyl Princess fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 12, 2023

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Made tomato sauce yesterday with tomatoes from my garden and the CSA, in which I also hid two weird skinny eggplants and one massive zucchini by grating them up and pureeing the whole mess with the stick blender. The three big jars are headed for the freezer, while the other three are gonna get used this week.

The first jar got combined with some venison sausage and rotini.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

fr0id posted:

What was your recipe/technique/amounts for the tomato sauce? I’m trying to figure out if I have enough tomatoes for a sauce to be worth it.

I've only made it twice now, but so far I've used every single cherry tomato I've had. Three-ish pounds of them maybe? I kind of eyeball the amounts. My technique has been to saute an onion and a bunch of garlic and then dump all the tomatoes in, let them release all their juices and cook down over the course of Way Too loving Long, add some basil and other assorted herbs, more salt and pepper, splash of Worcestershire sauce, hit with a stick blender, then let reduce/thicken even further.

For this one I did the onion and garlic in a separate pan, to which I added the grated squash and eggplant. Once those were tender I threw them in with the tomatoes to cook down further.

...I also like an excessively smooth sauce but don't own a food mill so I'll get cute about it and try to put about half of it through a fine sieve to get the skins and seeds before I lose interest.

I don't know that that's super helpful since I don't measure or even use the same ingredients constantly. I do have a solid chimichurri recipe to maybe make up for it!

Throw into blender: 3 bunches herbs (whatever's available, I like parsley and cilantro best), 1 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 4 cloves garlic, 1 shallot or small onion, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp honey, salt & pepper. Blend. Use as a marinade and as a condiment.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It's that day again!

Tonight we're having leek and potato soup, I'll make some fritters with turnips, squash, beets and potatoes later in the week, my husband wants to make baba ghanoush, and we need to can and/or dehydrate some of these tomatoes. We've got some Deer Parts(tm) in the freezer, I'll probably make chili with that. Maybe I'll make shishito poppers since my son seems to like just snacking on them.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I have Too Many Tomatoes and I already have made sauce so now I'm making tomato paste and dehydrating a bunch more. If I can get the maters really dry I might try powdering them and adding them to my cheese straw recipe for extra flavor... But that's a pretty big if right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Doing a spot of thread necromancy to note that the noble hash is an excellent way to use up vegetables, especially winter squash