Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
This show hasn't been good in a while but maybe Rodgers will deliver some of his trademark wacky hijinks to keep us entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
First episode was a lot of fun (I'm obviously biased), but seemed a little more...broad strokes than past Hard Knocks? It didn't have the traditional focus on fringe players or other guys further down on the roster. But maybe the first episode of this year's version was always going to focus a ton on Aaron Rodgers to get people interested, and then they'll do the normal Hard Knocks storylines in later episodes.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The show would be better if for even one season they showed a team anyone cared about. It feels like a Jets/Cowboys/Bengals rotation with a smattering of bottom tier teams inbetween. And by a team anyone cares about I mean a team I care about.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 9, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

The show would be better if for even one season they showed a team anyone cared about. It feels like a Jets/Cowboys/Bengals rotation with a smattering of bottom tier teams inbetween.

If you think people don't care about the Jets this year then lol

(Hard Knocks might still suck though tbf)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Should I be particularly excited about the Jets this season?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't think football is worth putting up with this year. they have some tough games

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Solomon Thomas is jacked as F.

Also the bengals were 10 years ago? Weird comment

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Should I be particularly excited about the Jets this season?

yeah why not?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

mcmagic posted:

yeah why not?

it's the Jets

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What are the SAG rules for Liev Schreiber both doing VO work and showing up in person?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

He's not acting. Good lord

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I could listen to Liev Schreiber read the phone book.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I could listen to Liev Schreiber read the phone book.

sounds boring

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BrownThunder posted:

He's not acting. Good lord

VO work is acting.

Interesting question though, I wonder if docu work is under the narrative/theatrical contract. Ill read up on it

edit - looks like docu work is exempt so this technically is not violating the strike, just like doing commercials arent.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 10, 2023

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
How is nobody talking about Nathaniel Hackett being obsessed with Austin Powers Goldmember and calling the Red Zone the "Gold Zone" and showing clips of Austin Powers Goldmember every week and explaining how Goldmember has golden genitals and generally talking about all the other stuff that Goldmember does?

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

How is nobody talking about Nathaniel Hackett being obsessed with Austin Powers Goldmember and calling the Red Zone the "Gold Zone" and showing clips of Austin Powers Goldmember every week and explaining how Goldmember has golden genitals and generally talking about all the other stuff that Goldmember does?

You have convinced me to watch Hard Knocks for the first time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I only have so many hours in the day to consume media, should I watch this or the Quarterbacks show on Netflix?

Keep in mind I hate the Jets.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I assumed that was an A-Rodg bit.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

This was a big story when he was in green bay. Rodgers talked about it often.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

https://theathletic.com/2889858/2021/10/14/a-year-after-dominating-in-so-called-gold-zone-packers-offense-working-to-recover-red-zone-mojo/

quote:

There was no offense in the NFL more effective inside the red zone last season than the Packers’ was, and it had very little to do with offensive coordinator/resident Austin Powers film aficionado Nathaniel Hackett rebranding the prime scoring area in honor of one of his favorite movie characters.

Sure, after Hackett, an outside-the-box thinker who actively seeks out more memorable and often humorous ways to present potentially mundane information, had gone to LaFleur amid some offensive struggles during the 2019 season with a wacky idea of making the traditional red zone area the “Gold Zone” — in hopes of increasingly getting players to buy into the first-year coaching staff’s offensive tenets — everyone from quarterback Aaron Rodgers to Adams to running back Aaron Jones to the offensive linemen had gotten on board.

In fact, the players were so taken with using actor Mike Myers’ “Goldmember” character (real name: Johann van der Smut) as their touchdown-scoring mascot that Rodgers incorporated the villain’s signature line (“I love goooooooold!“) into one of his touchdown celebrations and the team reached out to Myers’ people in hopes of setting up a video call with the actor during the playoffs in January, although they never connected.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I only have so many hours in the day to consume media, should I watch this or the Quarterbacks show on Netflix?

The Netflix Johnny Manziel doc is pretty gold.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The “Mahomes is very good at football” segments got old for me pretty quickly. I liked the Mariota storyline a lot, seeing the other end of the spectrum with a dude barely hanging on in the league and all the poo poo he has to deal with was compelling. The Cousins parts confirm everything you’ve ever suspected about him being a serial killer.

Overall it was a fine show to have on while doing something else

Agree the Manziel doc was very good

Pain of Mind posted:

The show would be better if for even one season they showed a team anyone cared about. It feels like a Jets/Cowboys/Bengals rotation with a smattering of bottom tier teams inbetween. And by a team anyone cares about I mean a team I care about.

The Pats could be eligible next year for literally the first time ever which would be kind of an lol. Would be “interesting” to see how they put it together with Belichick being openly hostile and telling players and staff they are not allowed to even acknowledge that a film crew is present.

Obviously the rules of the show are such that it’s almost always going to be a poo poo team. Or in some cases the Chargers, in a pathetic bid to get anyone in LA to admit they exist.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Finally saw episode one. They've turned this show into the theater of the uplifting and motivational. Just nothing but positive energy and happiness.

Zach Wilson is a 7 seconds to throw the ball guy so maybe aaron rodgers can teach him something. He seems a little dumb

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It was definitely light on content and high on vibes. I assume we’ll get more of the traditional camp narratives in the next episode, but who knows, maybe this kind of vapid stuff is what Woody wants.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've actually never watched Hard Knocks, just never got around to it

That was obviously a mistake because I'm loving this poo poo. Not even a Jets fan and I kinda don't like Rodgers but this is all really cool.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The opening credits this season are kinda bland, huh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Do we really need 15 minutes of magic tricks?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That rookie show was loving terrible lol

e: I desperately wish to erase hearing Hackett say “that turned me on” from my memory

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I think I would die for Quinnen Williams

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

They can't even manage a good rookie show. Failed season fire Saleh

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Saleh taking the offensive line to the woodshed was great. Rodgers and Becton was a cool moment too. I also feel like you can tell just how broken Wilson is/has been by the way the coaches talk to him before games.

It’s still a pretty weird Hard Knocks though. There isn’t really a focus on specific players, it’s just sort of highlights from Jets training camp. Which is fine, I guess.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Freaquency posted:

That rookie show was loving terrible lol

e: I desperately wish to erase hearing Hackett say “that turned me on” from my memory

The weird little slappy dance bit was pure tiktok brain. they're thinking in closeups and quick cuts not performing to a room of people who are hoping you fail

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Pain of Mind posted:

Lions season was really fun last year. Its about having good personalities on camera

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

I think I would die for Quinnen Williams

I love him.
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1691891324356604413

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Eh, I just wanna see how the sausage is made. Not fluff pieces and propaganda.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eh, I just wanna see how the sausage is made. Not fluff pieces and propaganda.

I have bad news about the kind of media coverage teams will allow

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think having an unwilling participant with editorial control is always going to make it team friendly. The Jets being unwilling to show cut day conversations also sort of removes the incentive to follow bubble players around and show their backstories/family situations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There was finally a lot of loving football

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the whole episode should've just been magic. that guy was excellent and the players really sold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BWV posted:

the whole episode should've just been magic. that guy was excellent and the players really sold it.

I think Doltos said it in another thread but professional magicians are really incredible. I’ve gone to a couple shows in Vegas where we all left going “welp I guess magic is real”. Like obviously not but good luck spotting the lie.

This is separate from whether this makes for good football show content