Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The biggest and richest and most important league in the world is back again, full of all your favourite players who were too poo poo to get a Saudi megadeal.

The season starts tomorrow with old new boys Burnley, managed by Vince 'squarest head in football' Kompany, taking on his old club Man City. Other matches will presumably follow and so on in that fashion until we have a winner

Last chance to enter the sack race for this season of you haven't already: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037978

Predictions thread, embarrass yourself with your total lack of football knowledge: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038947

Permanent matchday thread. We all love it. If you're new this is where you post 'holy poo poo what a goal' or 'lol pooshited': https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896467

No football zone? No, football zone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxqmAxDlYU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvTS_bZisQ

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Super hyped for the league. Quick prediction, I think Spurs and Chelsea are dark horses to get into top 4, atleast one of them especially if Chelsea get Caicedo and Spurs keep Kane. Also I feel like Liverpool is getting a bit overrated, their attack is phenomenal but that wasn't their issue last year, they scored a boatload of goals with Henderson/Fabinho/Jones midfield as well. Their defense is just not that good, hope Van Dijk returns to form and Konate can avoid injuries maybe then...

Newcastle and Brighton the two teams to drop off for me, I don't think they have the depth to play in Europe with their current squad and lack of experience. I do expect them both to do atleast do really well in one competition, the least likely being the league.

Aston Villa also set up to do real well but they already have a injury to a important player like Buendia and it seems like most of the season he will be out. Maybe they will get one final transfer.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
In big Ange we trust

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DON'T end the season now imo

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Ulio posted:

Super hyped for the league. Quick prediction, I think Spurs and Chelsea are dark horses to get into top 4

Preserving in case OP deletes

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
spurs are absolutely not getting top 4 with or without kane. we might get top 4 in Goals For Plus Goals Against though

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Chelsea definitely, Pochettino is good and crucially isn't Frank lampard or a guy doing the first Big Job of his career. he's got some interesting players so can see them turning things round pretty quick

Spurs, eeehhhhh we'll see

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think one of them will make it in not both though. People forget Spurs were in top 4 before Conte implosion, yes I believe Newcastle had one game more than them but they did play them afterward so it was in their hand. It's not like Spurs were 10th and sold Kane(yet).

My caveat is that Kane needs to stay, my main thought is that Son/Kane will finally get a player like Deli Ali or Eriksen who can create for them again and they won't need to drop as deep. Kane was already a monster without even getting good deliveries, with Ange's attacking style and Maddison behind him I expect him to get 30 goals this season. The only player I need to see improve is Son, apparently he played with a injury so who knows but in case Son's best is past him, I think Bryan Gil is really good and he was a big reason why Sevilla turned it around late last year + won the Europa League. Gil is out for 2-3 months though. I do think their defense is not gonna be that good and we will find out how good Vicario is.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Well, Wolves start at the bottom of the table for the 6th season on the trot. Unfortunately this time I think they're going to stay there all the way through.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I think Gil would be a much better player if he (among several other signings) hadn't been fuckin wasted the last couple years, but it seems the vibe between him and the club is too far gone for him to perform for us. That said it looks like we do have the prospect of a lo Celso rennaisance which I never would have expected, so who fuckin knows maybe Ange can make Bryan Thril happen.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gunners are Going all the way

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Emi buendia having an exploded knee is not ideal. He was looking pretty good in preseason. Time to see whether Philippe coutinho has any gas in the tank.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

kri kri posted:

To the Championship

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jethro posted:

Well, Wolves start at the bottom of the table for the 6th season on the trot. Unfortunately this time I think they're going to stay there all the way through.

tbh Sheffield United and Luton appear to have taken the "we'll eat for many months on those parachute payments" approach, even without a celebrity chef owner

so manager drama notwithstanding, Wolves just have to be less poo poo than another team who have bought no-one good, your West Hams and Evertons and Chelseas of this world

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kri kri posted:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Footie is back tomo and I’m ready

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Paul 'hecky' Heckingbottom is a good lad who unfortunately got shown the door in favour of Saint Marcelo two seconds after getting the Leeds job, sad that all his players have been immediately nicked off him just in time to get windmill dunked back into the championship

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Time to see whether Philippe coutinho has any gas in the tank.

Villa would probably be better off if they got a small lump of money from the Saudis and get Phil off their books.

Guy is sadly a shadow of his previous highs and despite his initial success under Stevie G (just long enough to get a transfer), I don’t see how he can be worth it as his wages are probably pretty massive, too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I think Gil would be a much better player if he (among several other signings) hadn't been fuckin wasted the last couple years, but it seems the vibe between him and the club is too far gone for him to perform for us. That said it looks like we do have the prospect of a lo Celso rennaisance which I never would have expected, so who fuckin knows maybe Ange can make Bryan Thril happen.

Haven't watched any Ange teams but from videos I've seen people say he likes his wingers to play wide and Gil definitely does that compared to Son. Son apparently played much wider in pre season compared to before but imo that is a waste of Son.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I have a lot of affinity with Heckingbottom because that's coincidentally my grindr profile description

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Emi buendia having an exploded knee is not ideal. He was looking pretty good in preseason. Time to see whether Philippe coutinho has any gas in the tank.

This is rough. I hope Villa take some time to find a replacement and there is no knee (:() jerk reaction to sign someone quick.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Ulio posted:

I think one of them will make it in not both though. People forget Spurs were in top 4 before Conte implosion, yes I believe Newcastle had one game more than them but they did play them afterward so it was in their hand. It's not like Spurs were 10th and sold Kane(yet).

My caveat is that Kane needs to stay, my main thought is that Son/Kane will finally get a player like Deli Ali or Eriksen who can create for them again and they won't need to drop as deep. Kane was already a monster without even getting good deliveries, with Ange's attacking style and Maddison behind him I expect him to get 30 goals this season. The only player I need to see improve is Son, apparently he played with a injury so who knows but in case Son's best is past him, I think Bryan Gil is really good and he was a big reason why Sevilla turned it around late last year + won the Europa League. Gil is out for 2-3 months though. I do think their defense is not gonna be that good and we will find out how good Vicario is.

Spurs had so many obvious and straightforward ways to improve that have nearly all been addressed.
I am suspicious about how good Vicario will be, but Maddison and Solomon have been great pre season which bodes well.

Predicting how it will go is tough though because most of the starting 11 and the tactics will be completely different. If Kane stays he will be able to get us through the inevitable rough patches and it could be a great season.

Equally we could concede 5 goals in each of the first 3 games, sack Ange and rehire Jose

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Ulio posted:

Also I feel like Liverpool is getting a bit overrated, their attack is phenomenal but that wasn't their issue last year, they scored a boatload of goals with Henderson/Fabinho/Jones midfield as well.
I think people are overstating this a bit. We scored 75 goals in the league last season but 22 of them came in 3 games (seven against United, lmao), which is almost a third. We had a lot of horrible away games where we had no loving idea where the net was, and we drew too many games in general when our forwards couldn't do enough to bail out the poo poo press and poo poo defensive errors. It was a bit off the boil too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Footie is back tomo and I’m ready

*bangs knife and fork*

Football
Football
Football

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh Sheffield United and Luton appear to have taken the "we'll eat for many months on those parachute payments" approach, even without a celebrity chef owner

so manager drama notwithstanding, Wolves just have to be less poo poo than another team who have bought no-one good, your West Hams and Evertons and Chelseas of this world

Sheffield United got a massive financial stay of execution by getting promoted when they did. Heckingbottom only got the managers job there because he was the cheap, in-house option to oversee a change of strategy at the club towards bringing through players to sell on for profit in The Championship - and in a bizarrely honest interview they pretty much outright said that when they unveiled him.

They’ve rewarded him for accidentally getting promoted by selling their top scorer, best midfielder and not replacing the creativity they had on loan from Man City. I can’t think of another team that’s got promoted and started the Premier League tangibly worse.

That said, I think this years bottom 5/6 could be an unprecedented clusterfuck so every chance they’ll scramble a way into survival.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sticksy posted:

Villa would probably be better off if they got a small lump of money from the Saudis and get Phil off their books.

Guy is sadly a shadow of his previous highs and despite his initial success under Stevie G (just long enough to get a transfer), I don’t see how he can be worth it as his wages are probably pretty massive, too.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to those riyals. He restructured his contract if I recall correctly but he's still getting like 125k a week.

Tiger Crazy posted:

This is rough. I hope Villa take some time to find a replacement and there is no knee (:() jerk reaction to sign someone quick.

Him out plus JJ Ramsey being out puts them a little light at midfield and in attack.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Bumhead posted:

I can’t think of another team that’s got promoted and started the Premier League tangibly worse.
Steve Bruce's Hull in 2016 is probably the closest. 2007/08 Derby too.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 10, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Bumhead posted:

Sheffield United got a massive financial stay of execution by getting promoted when they did. Heckingbottom only got the managers job there because he was the cheap, in-house option to oversee a change of strategy at the club towards bringing through players to sell on for profit in The Championship - and in a bizarrely honest interview they pretty much outright said that when they unveiled him.

They’ve rewarded him for accidentally getting promoted by selling their top scorer, best midfielder and not replacing the creativity they had on loan from Man City. I can’t think of another team that’s got promoted and started the Premier League tangibly worse.

That said, I think this years bottom 5/6 could be an unprecedented clusterfuck so every chance they’ll scramble a way into survival.

Reading pre season predictions about Sheffield United - massively pessimistic, Ndiaye being sold is a huge blow, only hope is Sander Berge having an incredible season.
Next day - Berge is sold to another newly promoted team

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Reading pre season predictions about Sheffield United - massively pessimistic, Ndiaye being sold is a huge blow, only hope is Sander Berge having an incredible season.
Next day - Berge is sold to another newly promoted team

I know numerous Blades who describe Ndiaye as the best player they’ve ever had. I think they were banking on him putting himself in the shop window and cashing in big time this year. Berge is inconsistent but does have quality and was important to them doing anything this year.

To sell both of them before a ball has been kicked, one of which to the team that finished 1 place above them last year, isn’t great prep.

Maybe Rhian Brewster will finally come good, lol. Lmao.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As a Norwegian Sander Berge's career has been so weird to follow tbh, he was playing great at Genk in a more defensive terrier/playmaker role a la discount Busquets, rumored to Sevilla but goes to Sheffield United and plays fine but gets Ten Thousand Injuries (I looked it up and it was somehow only 66 days over 2 injuries but felt like way more). Then rumored out when they are relegated but instead stick around in the Championship - probably beacuse he was too expensive for anyone to take a punt on with his injury issues - and establishes himself in a completely different role further up the field making runs and as I understand it fairly free-roaming. All the while going from promising to quite poo poo for our NT still in his old Genk role.

Can only hope he manages to become more consistent under Kompany. He has looked way too slow with his passing to actually succeed in the playmaker role he used to have so if so I imagine it will be something more like how he's played as SU recently. Still he played great in that role at 21-22 vs Spain at the NT and Liverpool in the CL so no idea what happened with his playstyle. It's not like his current way of playing can be put down to adapting to injuries or anything, you don't get permanently more poo poo at passing from straining your calf or whatever and it sounds like he runs more now.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 11, 2023

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Equally we could concede 5 goals in each of the first 3 games, sack Ange and rehire Jose

You’re gonna play like Holloway era Blackpool, so at least one of those games you’ll score 7

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Bumhead posted:

I know numerous Blades who describe Ndiaye as the best player they’ve ever had. I think they were banking on him putting himself in the shop window and cashing in big time this year. Berge is inconsistent but does have quality and was important to them doing anything this year.

To sell both of them before a ball has been kicked, one of which to the team that finished 1 place above them last year, isn’t great prep.

Maybe Rhian Brewster will finally come good, lol. Lmao.

Ndiaye was great but I'd call that a bit far to say he's the best; but either way selling him for peanuts was an absolute mess, even if I don't blame the guy for wanting to play for his home club.

Coming home after palace earlier though I felt it could have gone way worse though, considering we had to slot a defender into midfield and put 4 kids on the bench. We clearly can't do anything up front right now with what we've got available, and that's really bad - we're absolutely gonna go down, but we might not get clattered every single game at least, assuming we get out of the immediate depth issues and find someone who can shoot on target worth a drat. I'd probably take that (...and the parachute payments, of course).

It isn't even out of the question that three other teams manage to gently caress up as bad as we do!

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Watching MotD and it feels like Luton might beat Derby County's record for fewest points ever

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Elliptical Dick posted:

Watching MotD and it feels like Luton might beat Derby County's record for fewest points ever

The weird thing is they felt pretty alright for, what, 60 minutes or so until it all came crashing down

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They were worn out

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Spurs fans spotted Paratici outside Brentford today. Guessing the terms of his ban don't stop him from watching football
https://twitter.com/n17ko___/status/1690746838423343105