Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh Sheffield United and Luton appear to have taken the "we'll eat for many months on those parachute payments" approach, even without a celebrity chef owner

so manager drama notwithstanding, Wolves just have to be less poo poo than another team who have bought no-one good, your West Hams and Evertons and Chelseas of this world

Also Forest appear one spark away from imploding. The relegation battle could well end up a damp squib in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

JingleBells posted:

Spurs fans spotted Paratici outside Brentford today. Guessing the terms of his ban don't stop him from watching football
https://twitter.com/n17ko___/status/1690746838423343105

Counterpoint, he was watching Spurs.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
timber felled his ACL

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yikes

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bea Nanner posted:

timber felled his ACL

Arsenal DOA

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bea Nanner posted:

timber felled his ACL

:negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress sake

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress sake

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Bea Nanner posted:

timber felled his ACL

I don’t like the sound of that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The reddit conspiracy theory is that a bunch of players had their preseasons on american artificial pitches and now knees are exploding all over the place

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

TheRat posted:

The reddit conspiracy theory is that a bunch of players had their preseasons on american artificial pitches and now knees are exploding all over the place

That’s not really a conspiracy

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Dudley posted:

Counterpoint, he was watching Spurs.

Counter-counterpoint, between Angeball and that defence, Spurs are actually worth watching this season.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy the amount knees that got blown out in the first day of the season all at once.

Mings, Timber, Miltao, Nkunku, Courtois. Not sure if there were any in France.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

timber felled his ACL

:negative: :negative: :negative: :negative:

gently caress me, at least we have depth in defense. but ugh.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
after the challenge it seemed obvious to me to sub him off at the half. i was surprised he started the second half. arteta says his med staff cleared him, but it doesnt pass the eyeball test for me and common sense should have won out. there was plenty of depth on the bench ready to go. using my extensive medical knowledge, he probably did the damage in the initial challenge and later the cause for sub was inevitable. my understanding is that minor or major ACL almost doesnt matter because it's the same surgery and you are out for the same amount of time (barring complications, which i assume are fewer with a lesser tear). anyways, it sucks and i think Arteta was at least a little naive here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least Saliba is back :unsmith:

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1691456616657563649

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sad!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

perfect set up to their inevitable "underdog but not really" surge at the end of the season to win it again

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Slotducks posted:

perfect set up to their inevitable "underdog but not really" surge at the end of the season to win it again

They are down to the bare bones OP.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bea Nanner posted:

timber felled his ACL

Club just confirmed it

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1691765292739805331

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

triple sulk posted:

Club just confirmed it

Boooo

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

?

Are there not some Saudi fans in the Middle East somewhere?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

wooger posted:

?

Are there not some Saudi fans in the Middle East somewhere?

No, I think resoundingly no actually.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

No, I think resoundingly no actually.

Also, ignoring the Saudi specific bs, what would be the point? If you're going to have a National team game outside your borders, you kind of have to go outside your home region. Other than special cases like Mexico in the southwesteen US, who's going to see a game with their rivals as the lead attraction? Like if England were to host a friendly outside it's borders, it would make more sense to do it in the US/Canada/Aus than it would in like France or Germany.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I would pay unlimited money to watch England play a meaningless euro qualifier in Australia lmao

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

yuck

hope no one turns up for it

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

pseudodragon posted:

Also, ignoring the Saudi specific bs, what would be the point? If you're going to have a National team game outside your borders, you kind of have to go outside your home region. Other than special cases like Mexico in the southwesteen US, who's going to see a game with their rivals as the lead attraction? Like if England were to host a friendly outside it's borders, it would make more sense to do it in the US/Canada/Aus than it would in like France or Germany.

maybe they're banking on turning out all of the new English fans of the Saudi league who definitely care about the domestic players and not just the flashy imports

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not sure who England would have to play in Aus to get crowd support.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably France

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, I meant in Saudi Arabia.
I’ve heard of turnouts as low as 1000 in the Saudi pro league, for the opening game of the season… Not sure why they bother when they’re not even into the sport.

I guess it’s like pro cycling. There’s a week long world tour stage race in the UAE, which they’ve paid massively to sponsor and put on.

There are no fans at the side of the road cheering, it’s not a popular sport there, absolutely bizarre spectacle.

Amoeba102 posted:

Do you realise how many ex-pats live in Aus? Easily enough to fill a stadium.

And seeing premier league players in the flesh is attractive the world over.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brazil has held friendlies in European neutral site locations during international windows. But that’s Brazil - five-time World Cup winning, Jogo Bonito-rear end Brazil.

Has Qatar ever played at the Parc de Princes? Or UAE at the City of Manchester Stadium? Yikes.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Amoeba102 posted:

USA?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

harperdc posted:

Brazil has held friendlies in European neutral site locations during international windows. But that’s Brazil - five-time World Cup winning, Jogo Bonito-rear end Brazil.

That's more so that players don't have to travel back to South America for friendlies, isn't it?

wooger posted:

Yeah, I meant in Saudi Arabia.
I’ve heard of turnouts as low as 1000 in the Saudi pro league, for the opening game of the season… Not sure why they bother when they’re not even into the sport.

Far be it from me to defend the Saudi League, but a quick Google tells me that none of the 4 clubs who are buying most of these players were at home in the first week. On your second point, this isn't a case of money being ploughed into football in a country where nobody cares about it. There have been 16 Asian Champions League finals with Saudi teams in them. Granted, it's mostly one team, but still. The national team has been to 6 of the last 8 World Cups, too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also they're not doing this for the home fans, though I'm sure they will love it if some young Saudi men decide to get really into football fandom instead of, idk, crime, they're doing this to make people around the world say "wow my favourite player is in Saudi Arabia now I love Mohammed bin Salman, Aramco and the Public Investment Fund!!!!!"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

also they're not doing this for the home fans, though I'm sure they will love it if some young Saudi men decide to get really into football fandom instead of, idk, crime, they're doing this to make people around the world say "wow my favourite player is in Saudi Arabia now I love Mohammed bin Salman, Aramco and the Public Investment Fund!!!!!"

I will say all of these things if handed a large enough envelope. PIF hit me up.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I will say all of these things if handed a large enough envelope. PIF hit me up.

This!!

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Qatar and Abu Dhabi buying teams is small time. Saudi buying a whole league’s worth of players is where it’s at. Unreal how fast and comprehensive it has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vyelkin posted:

More likely: “A good player from my team has been stolen to go play in some shithole league that no one cares about. Meh, they are dead to me”.