Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anyone else morbidly curious on how it will be when Mason Greenwood returns to united?
https://theathletic.com/4780813/2023/08/16/mason-greenwood-man-utd-return/

quote:

Manchester United’s chief executive, Richard Arnold, told the club’s executive leadership in the first week of August that United were planning to bring back Mason Greenwood.

As part of that plan for Greenwood’s reintegration with the men’s first team, Arnold intended to record a video explaining the decision that would be shared both with staff and the general public.

The proposed date for the announcement was Friday, August 4.

The plan laid out by Arnold that week was that Greenwood would not make any appearances with the club’s charitable arm, the Manchester United Foundation, in the short to medium term, even though the club would be bringing him back to the first-team set-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-issues-statement-anfield-27537665 This seems not great

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Jexner posted:

Anyone else morbidly curious on how it will be when Mason Greenwood returns to united?
https://theathletic.com/4780813/2023/08/16/mason-greenwood-man-utd-return/

My hope is that the backlash makes them backtrack but who loving knows at this point.

If it ends up happening I hope he's greeted by a mad chorus of boos at every match he's involved in, from both sets of fans.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mainwaring posted:

My hope is that the backlash makes them backtrack but who loving knows at this point.

It looks like that's what's happening, tbh.

From this thread:
https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1691918355551404538

https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1691918374903923177

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
People being shamed into doing what's right, does anything make one feel better.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I am as a rule deeply cynical about all football news and take pretty much all of the bleak poo poo with a solemn 'lol' but if he just comes back with nothing more said that'll be really tough to shrug at

And obviously I don't think any club in the same situation would take a stand on it but I don't know how you can say to your fans (some of whom are women, I'm told) that mason greenwood is someone who you can put on the front of programmes and walk the mascots out on the pitch and do all the PR/community stuff and it's just fine. Well I do know how, since half the people making this decision will presumably be getting a fat payoff as part of the sale and will never have to think about it again

Like I know clubs will just play guys accused of similar stuff and it's no big deal but having seen the videos and heard the audio at the time (not through choice, someone linked it in a group chat and didn't say what it was, cheers for that) it feels a lot more real and it's just so grim

I believe that someone can express remorse for bad things they've done and deserve a chance to make amends, but that would involve even admitting wrongdoing to start with. I also get that man united feel like they have a responsibility to not just cut off all contact with someone who's been in the club ecosystem since he was 7 and presumably has no other qualifications, but his 'second chance' is that he didn't end up going to prison rather than just going straight back into the first team and getting England callups

I dunno. Just been playing on my mind a bit over the last few days. Pooshited

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

This is very funny though. Add to the pile of successful merseyside construction projects

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The examples of David Goodwillie, Benjamin Mendy, Thomas Partey, and Adam Johnson suggest that the only thing that actually prevents sex criminal footballers from being given second, third, fourth, etc., chances for as long as they're physically able to kick a ball, is if they are found guilty of a criminal offence and imprisoned.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1692140476718297221

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't know UK law, but what can United legally do about Greenwood? He was found not guilty, so cutting Greenwood seems like it would trigger a massive legal fight. Same deal with a paid suspension for the remainder of his contract, but with a union grievance. Best bet would to sell him to another club, but good luck with that

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't know UK law, but what can United legally do about Greenwood? He was found not guilty, so cutting Greenwood seems like it would trigger a massive legal fight. Same deal with a paid suspension for the remainder of his contract, but with a union grievance. Best bet would to sell him to another club, but good luck with that

Criminal law requires beyond all reasonable doubt, employment law requires a lot less. Based on the audio, the images and the courts criticising the police for not keeping him away from the victim he was banned from seeing I'm fairly confident they would have no issues terminating his employment for gross misconduct.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I read something once that said basically all footballers have a clause in their contract that lets the club terminate for cause if the player behaves in a way that brings the club into disrepute. That's a pretty broad clause that would probably get the club sued but if they cared at all about morality rather than the bottom line they would do it and dare Greenwood to sue them because civil proceedings do not have to prove accusations beyond a reasonable doubt and United could make a good case that on balance of probabilities Greenwood is an abusive piece of poo poo.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Worth pointing out that Greenwood was not found "not guilty," but rather the charges against him were dropped, which is not the same thing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Worth pointing out that Greenwood was not found "not guilty," but rather the charges against him were dropped, which is not the same thing.

And very much worth pointing out that the charges were dropped because he constantly breached his ban from visiting the victim he was charged with coercing (among other things) to the extent he got her pregnant and she ended up withdrawing. And the courts criticised the police for doing gently caress all about it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TheRat posted:

And very much worth pointing out that the charges were dropped because he constantly breached his ban from visiting the victim he was charged with coercing (among other things) to the extent he got her pregnant and she ended up withdrawing. And the courts criticised the police for doing gently caress all about it.
it’s a really sad story that bums me out hard every time it resurfaces. seriously gently caress that dude

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

Thank you for that additional context.

All this is to say United are well within their rights to tell him to get hosed and, given everything, would probably be able to withstand whatever lawsuit Greenwood might bring against them. Yet for some reason--if the reporting is accurate--they are choosing not to do this. It's really gross, and while I would hope my club would act differently if it were in this situation, I can't say that without a fairly large spoonful of doubt.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Thank you for that additional context.

All this is to say United are well within their rights to tell him to get hosed and, given everything, would probably be able to withstand whatever lawsuit Greenwood might bring against them. Yet for some reason--if the reporting is accurate--they are choosing not to do this. It's really gross, and I would hope my club would act differently if it were in this situation, I can't say that without a fairly large spoonful of doubt.

i know that my club would 100% do the same as utd because sullivan and brady don't have a single moral between them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wish I were wrong about this but most likely if United terminated Greenwood's contract he'd get a bigger one from some other club within a month

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

does zouma still get abuse over his cat stuff?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wish I were wrong about this but most likely if United terminated Greenwood's contract he'd get a bigger one from some other club within a month

I said the same about Mendy but I would assume he'd take 250k a week to play in Saudi for a couple of years and then just never be heard from again. I'm surprised he's done as he's presumably been told by his agents/solicitors/the club and said nothing throughout

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s incredible how much these projects cost now. £80m is about a fifth of the Emirates, before they started selling off all the apartments.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Slotducks posted:

does zouma still get abuse over his cat stuff?

Difficult to tell. West Ham fans started going ZOUUUUU every time he touched the ball so no one could tell if he was getting booed or not.

As for Greenwood, the whole thing of the GMP not investigating properly is especially bad considering the recent scandals that police force have had recently. Wouldn’t surprise me if Greenwood paid them off

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

vyelkin posted:

also they're not doing this for the home fans, though I'm sure they will love it if some young Saudi men decide to get really into football fandom instead of, idk, crime, they're doing this to make people around the world say "wow my favourite player is in Saudi Arabia now I love Mohammed bin Salman, Aramco and the Public Investment Fund!!!!!"

All of whom are, to be clear, completely unconnected entities.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hmm someone should tell talksport that, as far as I’m concerned, Theo Walcott is an exciting young prospect who will come good very soon, and particularly if he makes the move to striker permanently.

Christ I’m old.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I love Mohammed bin Salman, Aramco and the Public Investment Fund!!!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jose posted:

I've never heard anything bad about them, they are good vibes all round

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

hell, who doesn't?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

Criminal law requires beyond all reasonable doubt, employment law requires a lot less. Based on the audio, the images and the courts criticising the police for not keeping him away from the victim he was banned from seeing I'm fairly confident they would have no issues terminating his employment for gross misconduct.

Then why have they paid him for the past 20 months?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently Recce James picked up a hamstring injury, loving hell this guy can't catch a break.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ulio posted:

Apparently Recce James picked up a hamstring injury, loving hell this guy can't catch a break.

Did he pick it up getting his bag off the carousel at Sydney Airport

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

holy poo poo i feel old

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mila kunis posted:

holy poo poo i feel old

Sven took him to the 2006 World Cup.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
decided to look up an article from when he got called up to the england squad. shout out to spurs legends paul robinson and jermaine jenas

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/may/08/newsstory.sport7

quote:

The biggest shock is the inclusion of Arsenal's 17-year-old striker Theo Walcott, who is yet to play a single minute in the Premiership and has only played 23 professional matches, scoring five goals. Another surprise is the appearance of Spurs' 19-year-old Aaron Lennon - who wasn't a first-team regular until two months ago.

"I decided to take Theo this morning," Eriksson explained. "I am taking 23 players so I thought why not gamble with one of them? I know it is a gamble but he is a big talent. Pace in football is worth a lot. I'm excited by him, I can't wait to work with him." Maybe it's not logic, but sometimes things work out very well."

also lol

quote:

But there are several surprise exclusions - including Charlton's Darren Bent, Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ledley King (who is injured) and Spurs team-mate Jermain Defoe, who only makes the stand-by list. Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves, a man who gives the impression that he would survive the fall-out from a nuclear holocaust, makes the squad, despite a poor season in Germany.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Of course Ledley King is parathesized with “who is injured.”

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Here lies

quote:

Ledley King (who is injured)

He never played

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

TheRat posted:

Yeah but he scores goals so who’s to say whether it’s good or bad, it’s kinda like drink driving

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vyelkin posted:

hell, who doesn't?

make this the thread title of trp and every trp thread

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ulio posted:

It's time for Malo Gusto, the new best name in the league, to shine

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrapnig posted:

Sven took him to the 2006 World Cup.

Should have maybe played him at least once idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Backdoor Delivery posted:

It's time for Malo Gusto, the new best name in the league, to shine

He looked good technically, so I am excited to see him.

Total Meatlove posted:

Did he pick it up getting his bag off the carousel at Sydney Airport

I thought he would finally have a season like his first year without too much injuries, how wrong I was. I have two players in my FPL that got injured in the first loving week and benched in the first game due to injury.