Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/FootballTalkHQ/status/1694032704914821605?t=29eHuNnBxBDx7gJ_WcGQSQ&s=19

Liverpool vindicated for being mad at a bad card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Loving the refereeing standards

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Bump this thread every time the refs apologize or overturn a decision

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Radium's code cannot take that

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

tbf I would've felt like that was a bad red even if it wasn't against Liverpool

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol that's what, 4 glaring referring errors in 2 weeks? Wolves non-pen, Mac red, Palace non-pen and Tomiyasu 2nd yellow (which I realize could not be reviewed). Hell, I'm probably forgetting another.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

lol that's what, 4 glaring referring errors in 2 weeks? Wolves non-pen, Mac red, Palace non-pen and Tomiyasu 2nd yellow (which I realize could not be reviewed). Hell, I'm probably forgetting another.

Arsenal's pen was offside, Palace should have had a pen, the Tottenham handball. Basically, reffing has been absurdly bad the first two weeks.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

I half expected them to double down and increase the number of games missed for a frivolous claim, glad that wasn't the case

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

refs should probably partake in some form of preseason

just sayin'

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

cowards

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

The Finn posted:

Diaz and Trent both in training today, so that's a sigh of relief from me because I was concerned about both on Saturday.

The beauty of the English language is how “concerned” can mean very different things for each of Diaz and Trent

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

I’m lovin’ it!

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

the sex ghost posted:

Tried to move Kalvin off the bench

Lol

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Finn posted:

Lads, I might post a spell this season if that's mighty fine with y'all *tips posting cap*

post your fridge

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66586059

rachel riley on a warpath

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
rachel riley complaining about someone gaslighting lol gently caress off

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Takes one to know one, I suppose

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s her story?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I really only know Riley from watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, so I’m also curious as to why y’all are calling her out for saying United’s statement was gaslighting (which uh yeah, it unquestionably was).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
n 2018, Riley began a campaign against the way the Labour Party under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn had handled allegations of antisemitism. She said she decided to speak out after seeing "Israel is a racist endeavour" posters on London bus stops.[30][34][35] In September 2018, after criticising Corbyn over the ongoing antisemitism allegations, she stated she did not have "any party loyalties".[36] In January 2019, Riley made a speech at a Westminster reception for the Holocaust Educational Trust and addressed what she described as the "hideous abuse" she had received.[37]

In February 2019, according to The Times and i, Riley had been involved in talks to set up a centrist breakaway party from Labour.[38][39] According to Jewish News in April, Riley backed the Stop Funding Fake News campaign.[40] In November 2019, Riley posted an image on Twitter of herself wearing a shirt with an edited image of Corbyn carrying a sign bearing the caption "Jeremy Corbyn is a racist endeavour".

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mila kunis posted:

Riley posted an image on Twitter of herself wearing a shirt with an edited image of Corbyn carrying a sign bearing the caption "Jeremy Corbyn is a racist endeavour".

The original, of course, being of Corbyn being arrested for protesting apartheid.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
she sucks for Corbyn-related reasons, and perhaps it's not quite the correct use of the term "gaslighting", but otherwise she's using her platform to very correctly call Man Utd out on the horrific way they're protecting a rapist and domestic abuser (and I'm not even talking about Ronaldo and Giggs)

e: lol thought this was the UKMT for a moment

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's like if Alastair Campbell, a man who hounded someone to suicide, decided to reinvent themselves as a mental health campaigner

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like if Alastair Campbell, a man who hounded someone to suicide, decided to reinvent themselves as a mental health campaigner

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like if Michael Owen, a man who hounded someone to suicide, decided to reinvent themselves as a mental health campaigner

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Thanks Ants posted:

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of which, is Jake Humprey still doing his weird high performance grindset influencer poo poo?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He's still awful, yes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

evergreen

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lmao

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

gaslighting is when someone says something I disagree with

the statement strayed into a lot of lovely territory that it shouldn't have, but at the same time I do believe that a club actually has an ethical and contractual obligation to treat someone in that situation with basic dignity, and that it's not their job to extract a pound of flesh to satisfy twitter when the CPS won't

would have been far better if it was left as Greenwood and the club agreeing to part ways, the rest is irrelevant

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

gaslighting is when someone says something I disagree with

the statement strayed into a lot of lovely territory that it shouldn't have, but at the same time I do believe that a club actually has an ethical and contractual obligation to treat someone in that situation with basic dignity, and that it's not their job to extract a pound of flesh to satisfy twitter when the CPS won't

would have been far better if it was left as Greenwood and the club agreeing to part ways, the rest is irrelevant

What is this garbage lol

Your last sentence is incongruous with your middle one. By not leaving it as “the club and Greenwood have agreed to part ways” they did more than treat Greenwood with basic dignity, and furthermore, they don’t have an obligation to. In fact, the opposite.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I strongly recommend anyone thinking about even halfheartedly defending United here to listen to the audio again

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the point being that I heavily suspect that the rachel riley types would have started grandstanding whatever the club put out that it wasn't strong enough

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Log off

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*getting my pooshited branded fire blanket out and putting it over this discussion before it starts*

Everton are poo poo

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://theathletic.com/4800248/2023/08/23/everton-ownership-msp-investment/?source=twitteruk

how hosed are they then

quote:

Everton ownership: U.S. firm MSP Capital Sports withdraw from investment talks

Everton’s hopes of improving their financial situation have received a huge hit after MSP Sports Capital withdrew from talks about taking a minority stake in the club.

The New York-based investment group signed an exclusivity agreement with the Premier League side in May and the plan was to invest up to £150million in convertible debt that would become a stake of approximately 25 per cent in the 145-year-old club.

In a complicated deal, £100million of that investment was meant for Everton Stadium Development Company, the subsidiary club owner Farhad Moshiri set up in 2017 to oversee the construction of Everton’s new ground at Bramley-Moore Dock, with the rest going to the club.

But that exclusivity period is now over and the deal is dead, with the stumbling block being opposition from one of Everton’s existing lenders, Rights and Media Funding Limited.

Everton, currently bottom of the Premier League after losing their first two games of the season without scoring a goal, have a loan facility with the Cheshire-based firm that the club has extended to £200million this year. That debt is secured via four charges on club assets and they have negative pledge clauses which mean the holder can demand repayment of its debt before the borrower takes on any further borrowing.

With Rights and Media Funding Limited reluctant to give up its protection against possible default, MSP’s plan became unworkable. The lender’s main concern, however, was that MSP was not putting enough money into the club in return for its equity and Everton simply need more cash.

That may well be true but the club will now not be getting any from MSP. But the U.S. group is proceeding with the £100million loan to the stadium company, although this is now just a straightforward loan and not convertible debt.

This should enable Moshiri to repay the £40million he borrowed from English businessman Andy Bell in May which was always intended to act as a bridging loan for the larger MSP investment. Bell, the founder of share-dealing platform AJ Bell, lent the money to the stadium company via his family investment firm Blythe Capital.

What is not clear, however, is if the MSP loan will now unlock the rest of the funding required to complete the stadium.

The original plan was that the remaining £260million would come via a five-year construction loan sourced by global banks JP Morgan and MUFG, but that was premised on MSP taking an equity stake in the business.

The club’s supporters, however, will have more pressing concerns. In the previous two seasons, they overcame closely-fought relegation battles and they have endured a difficult start to the 23-24 campaign — having lost their opening two matches. The club have also only added four new players this summer and the only one who cost a fee, 19-year-old striker Youssef Chermiti, is not fit enough, according to manager Sean Dyche.

With MSP out of the picture in terms of additional investment, Moshiri is trying to find alternatives, including resuming talks with Miami-based investment firm 777 Partners. Whether those talks go any further than the ones that took place earlier this year remains to be seen.

Everton’s problems, though, go beyond a failure to find fresh investment and a slow start to the season. They have lost more than £400million between 2018 and 2022 and are currently being investigated by an independent panel for possible breaches of the league’s spending rules. A ruling is expected later this year.

Moshiri, a 68-year-old British-Iranian, bought the club in 2016, having previously owned a minority stake in Arsenal with his business partner Alisher Usmanov. Moshiri, who is based in Monaco, has poured at least £750million into Everton, with very little to show for his generosity apart from a half-built stadium by the banks of the Mersey.

His free-spending approach to football just about made sense for as long as he had access to Usmanov’s financial support but that was dramatically cut off last year when the Uzbek-born oligarch was added to the UK’s list of sanctioned individuals in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. That forced Everton to cancel several lucrative sponsorships with Usmanov-owned companies and opened another hole in the stadium-financing plan as Usmanov was going to provide a naming-rights partner.

Everton, a founder member of the Football League, have competed in English football’s top flight for a record 120 seasons. And, despite a 28-year trophy drought, they remain one of England’s most successful teams in terms of silverware.

Set up by sports agent Jeff Moorad and investor Jahm Najafi, MSP describes itself as a private equity firm that invests in teams, leagues and sports-related businesses. It has stakes in Spanish football team Alcorcon, German side Augsburg and Portugal’s Estoril, as well as shares in F1’s McLaren and the NBA’s Phoenix Suns.

Everton, MSP and Moshiri were all asked for comment but declined to do so.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

turbofucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks to everyone except the Pooshited fan for their explanation of the situation.