Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The house is one of those things you're supposed to kind of ignore, like how much the apartment would cost in Friends. It makes shooting different scenes easier without it always being the same shot.

Actually the apartment in friends is rent controlled and still belongs to Monica’s grandma, whose death she is keeping secret from the landlord. It’s been a plot point a couple times, get educated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I think knowing as little about the trash show friends is probably for the best

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My favorite thing on MwC was when the Bundys would temporarily stop putting each other down and come together as a family to whoop rear end. Fighting was like the Bundy superpower that would activate if anyone else tried to give them poo poo.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Das Boo posted:

Thank god.

Lol. Get a Life and Sledge Hammer! were my favorite oddball comedies that only lasted 2 seasons

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gutcruncher posted:

Actually the apartment in friends is rent controlled and still belongs to Monica’s grandma, whose death she is keeping secret from the landlord. It’s been a plot point a couple times, get educated!

I will confess that I only heard it talked about in social media, and have never seen a single episode of Friends.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ralph Hurley posted:

Lol. Get a Life and Sledge Hammer! were my favorite oddball comedies that only lasted 2 seasons

Get a Life was an absurd amazement of a TV show.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ralph Hurley posted:

The writers of Sledge Hammer really thought they were done after one season, as the ratings suffered due to being constantly bounced around different time slots, so they literally went nuclear at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoU7urNTbI

When they were asked for a second season to fill the slot left in the wake of the short-lived Lucille Ball comeback show, they had to pull the "5 years earlier" thing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Disco Godfather posted:

I used to work with a guy who had a huge NO MA'AM tattoo with the logo on his forearm

lmao

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Saalkin posted:

I think knowing as little about the trash show friends is probably for the best

Imho Friends was funnier than it seems, which does not mean a whole lot

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I never cared too much for Friends but it wasn't too bad. I mean, people all over the world still watch it. It's a very popular American cultural export, must be good on some level.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I liked Friends as a kid but I can recognize it’s pretty bad now. Although it did spawn this so I guess it’s good

https://youtu.be/oUc0vbSlanM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tarkus posted:

I never cared too much for Friends but it wasn't too bad. I mean, people all over the world still watch it. It's a very popular American cultural export, must be good on some level.

Here in Melbourne Australia we have an annual Easter Show (pretty much a state fair) where they sell showbags for kids, usually full of crappy plastic toys and lollies and tied to some brand like The Wiggles or Thomas The Tank Engine or a popular brand of lollies. Last year they were selling a Friends showbag and I made a social media post going "Who is this for????" and a teacher friend had to inform me that the show is apparently super popular on streaming services with 15 year old kids at the moment

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

remember when ross kept yelling "pivot!!"

hahah hilarious XD

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

thunderspanks posted:

remember when ross kept yelling "pivot!!"

hahah hilarious XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vegfGSNWPqs

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

The_Franz posted:

The writers of Sledge Hammer really thought they were done after one season, as the ratings suffered due to being constantly bounced around different time slots, so they literally went nuclear at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoU7urNTbI

When they were asked for a second season to fill the slot left in the wake of the short-lived Lucille Ball comeback show, they had to pull the "5 years earlier" thing.

I remember watching the nuke episode and being sad that the show was over but then in came back in the fall and that was the funniest thing ever. Too bad season 2 wasn’t nearly as good.

At one point the network stuck poor Sledge on opposite the friggin Cosby Show so it didn’t stand a chance. There was an episode I remember that had a scene with Sledge sitting at home vegging out watching TV and he comments “another new sweater? Come on, Theo”

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

One time Al was caught cat calling some girls and then it turns out one was his daughter and he was just like, eh, whatever, but no one said anything about it and I always thought that was a REALLY weird thing to just gloss over.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Melbourne Australia we have an annual Easter Show (pretty much a state fair) where they sell showbags for kids, usually full of crappy plastic toys and lollies and tied to some brand like The Wiggles or Thomas The Tank Engine or a popular brand of lollies. Last year they were selling a Friends showbag and I made a social media post going "Who is this for????" and a teacher friend had to inform me that the show is apparently super popular on streaming services with 15 year old kids at the moment

So it is true! I thought Kuala Man made up the showbag obsession.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wtf Friends and Married With Children had overlapping years?

WHAT!?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Gutcruncher posted:

WHAT!?

no that's the crazy thing, friends got pitched later as a spin off from this gag. they had the lead actress change her name and everything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

So it is true! I thought Kuala Man made up the showbag obsession.

[5,000 word post deleted]

Oh ho ho, you sly dog! You nearly got me monologuing! :australia:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Gutcruncher posted:

WHAT!?

Mind-blowing, I know, but Married with Children lasted eleven seasons. That's a long time. I also forgot that Friends premiered in 1994. It seems like a very late '90s-2000's show to me.

I also just discovered that IMDb lists Ted McGinley in almost exactly twice as many episodes as David Garrison. I mean, I liked Steve, but there was nothing else like Jefferson. He was friends with Fidel Castro!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ralph Hurley posted:

My favorite thing on MwC was when the Bundys would temporarily stop putting each other down and come together as a family to whoop rear end. Fighting was like the Bundy superpower that would activate if anyone else tried to give them poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfC0Rr3mhZU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Virgin Steve vs Chad Jefferson, no contest
Cope more haters

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Might as well post one of the best examples of Bundy Loyalty to each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKFPeq2MQSY

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey that's Angel! Al Bundy beat up a vampire!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Going immediately for the throat is a bold move lmao. I think Ed O'Neill studied martial arts irl for a long time, he's a big guy too

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 16, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That wintergreen gum ad was on the back of every prop magazine in MWC

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

That wintergreen gum ad was on the back of every prop magazine in MWC

That’s because there was only one magazine in MWC: Big’uns

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCv7W_uyaME

Foolhorn
Dec 5, 2003

Remember kids, be like Billy. Behave yourself.
My funniest memory of this show was when Al and Jefferson were building a bench using a bunch of L brackets. One of them said "we're all out of L's so we're going to have to use these extra 7's.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Foolhorn posted:

My funniest memory of this show was when Al and Jefferson were building a bench using a bunch of L brackets. One of them said "we're all out of L's so we're going to have to use these extra 7's.

The episode where they're all trying to install the satellite dish on the roof is one of my top 10 favorites

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

haljordan posted:

Or when they were all trying to install the satellite dish on the roof

Lol

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That’s because there was only one magazine in MWC: Big’uns

And its extended family: Library 'Uns and Cub 'Uns.

haljordan posted:

The episode where they're all trying to install the satellite dish on the roof is one of my top 10 favorites

The mileage that show got out of obvious dummies falling down is incredible.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

And its extended family: Library 'Uns and Cub 'Uns.

The mileage that show got out of obvious dummies falling down is incredible.

Absolutely, I still laugh every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EILGotMeJh4

Foolhorn
Dec 5, 2003

Remember kids, be like Billy. Behave yourself.
Another favorite is when Al get clotheslined when his team is playing the Jackie O's and it's obviously a dummy.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Grem posted:

One time Al was caught cat calling some girls and then it turns out one was his daughter and he was just like, eh, whatever, but no one said anything about it and I always thought that was a REALLY weird thing to just gloss over.

He doesn't want to gently caress his hot wife, there's no way he's interested in his own hot daughter.

He wants to jack it and watch football, like a straight man.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I always liked the gag when Peggy was like "A-a-a-alll, I'm thirsty, get me some water" and he wiped the sweat off his brow and flicked it at her

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Peg was always eating bonbons.
What the hell is a bonbon, I don't think I've ever seen one in real life

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I always liked the gag when Peggy was like "A-a-a-alll, I'm thirsty, get me some water" and he wiped the sweat off his brow and flicked it at her

The look of pure contempt on Al's face really makes that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

haljordan posted:

Going immediately for the throat is a bold move lmao. I think Ed O'Neill studied martial arts irl for a long time, he's a big guy too

Yeah he's done Brazilian jiu-jitsu for several decades but I think he started after Married With Children ended. He also played college football and used to work in a steel mill