Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Smugworth posted:

Peg was always eating bonbons.
What the hell is a bonbon, I don't think I've ever seen one in real life

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah he's done Brazilian jiu-jitsu for several decades but I think he started after Married With Children ended. He also played college football and used to work in a steel mill

He was also excellent in Spartan

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I liked the dog Buck

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Oh so they're not just called "chocolates"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Back then they were sold in the ice cream freezer at your grocery store and bonbon was the brand name

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ralph Hurley posted:

My favorite thing on MwC was when the Bundys would temporarily stop putting each other down and come together as a family to whoop rear end. Fighting was like the Bundy superpower that would activate if anyone else tried to give them poo poo.

"Where you can't touch a breast, but you can cave in a chest. Where the beer gives you gas, but the Bundys kick rear end... at the nudie bar."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For comparison, Ron Leavitt, one of the co-creators of Married With Children, went on to create a similar show called Unhappily Ever After where everyone was much more clearly a lovely jaded rear end in a top hat. That show was mean. Also the husband was insane and had a toy stuffed rabbit which would talk to him (voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait) which no one else could hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ3zjrqFN0

I remember catching a couple episodes of that back in the day and it was awful.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

I remember catching a couple episodes of that back in the day and it was awful.

I always so felt bad for Geoff Pierson, who was an incredibly talented character actor clearly doing his absolute best to carry a smoldering turd of a show.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I always so felt bad for Geoff Pierson, who was an incredibly talented character actor clearly doing his absolute best to carry a smoldering turd of a show.

That show somehow lasted 100 episodes

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That show somehow lasted 100 episodes

I was going to credit that to the audience wanting to leer at Nikki Cox, but she was also in Norm Macdonald's sitcom and that lasted way less.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Had to remind myself that this wasn't the thread for That '80s Show.

You're right, he deserved better.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Smugworth posted:

Peg was always eating bonbons.
What the hell is a bonbon, I don't think I've ever seen one in real life
This is another wife gag from before the show the writers were drawing on. Sitting around the house eating bonbons equates to not doing anything.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Big rear end On Fire posted:

This is another wife gag from before the show the writers were drawing on. Sitting around the house eating bonbons equates to not doing anything.

A lot of Peggy's characterization was from a 1950's sitcom wife, including the bonbons, hairstyle, and clothing, which I think Katey Sagal had a lot to do with.

The real juxtaposition is in the "It's a Wonderful Life" Christmas episode where Al sees what the family would've been like without having been born, featuring a pre-Jefferson Ted McGinley as the hypothetical successful husband.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'll always remember him as Brett Butler's alcoholic abusive ex husband in Grace Under Fire

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I can't find this clip anywhere else but the cockroach speech
https://twitter.com/hoodwinkedfool/status/1636144735848136704

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like how for the first like 4 seasons everyone but Peg was constantly on the brink of starvation, like any moment they might start hallucinating Buck was giant hotdog.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Anyone remember the awful backdoor pilot they filmed at Bud's college radio station?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAP5pSsAwl8

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

haljordan posted:

Anyone remember the awful backdoor pilot they filmed at Bud's college radio station?

Finding out about the existence of backdoor pilots made a lot of those episodes make sense. I think that might have been the worst one if not for the inclusion of David Garrison.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Smugworth posted:

I'll always remember him as Brett Butler's alcoholic abusive ex husband in Grace Under Fire

Who eventually became a good guy, which was yet another reason that show went to poo poo along with magically aging Quentin.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I had such a crush on GUF-era Brett Butler

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Hey, it was great for Dave Thomas to be able to pick up a check without having to put on a touque.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I still think of William Fichtner as “that guy Grace was dating for a season or so”

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Divine was going to appear on the show. Didn't realize Divine had actually being rehearsals at the time of death.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Was the Bud College spinoff idea something that they were planning when Seven was introduced a few years earlier or was it something created in response to Friends blowing up when it was released?

Also, am I wrong in remembering that Kelly had an episode about going to work for a modeling firm that might have also been a similar backdoor pilot?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Smugworth posted:

Oh so they're not just called "chocolates"

thinking to start a BonBon MEgathread so as to clear up tihs confusion (common)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

haljordan posted:

Ha Keri Russell