Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Hi art friend,

I want to take a bit of time to respond to your posts since you remind me a lot of myself!

Spacial reasoning and art
I have a strong suspicion that those "pure spacial reasoning" tests, which I've seen on IQ tests, may be an acquirable skill. Unless you're taking the test with an extreme time limit of like, 5 seconds per question, there are cognitive strategies you can use to solve the problems. It's just that, I think, the majority of people in the world don't do work that requires them to practice cognitive skills to rotate cubes in their head.

So, spacial reasoning and art. I see where you are coming from, comparing these tests to art. Visual art is, after all, about placing things in space in one way or another. But I really want to emphasize that spacial reasoning tests are nothing like real life! and they are nothing like art!!!!!!!

Look at this test question:

If you're doing the test "by the rules," you are constructing the patterned cube in your head and rotating it using your imagination. This is all well and good for people who are adept at mental construction. But guess what? Artists can cheat!

A critical part of learning to draw is "thinking on the page." The image above shows plumb lines, which are used to figure out spacial relationships. As an artist grows in skill, they can start to internalize these relationships. Thinking on the page is a process that you can grow to love. It's what sketchbooks are for! It's not cheating. It's the opposite--it's showing your work. Actually, these sorts of studies are worth their weight in gold; people will analyze the works of famous renaissance painters using hi-tech machinery in order to examine the under-drawings and rough drafts that lie underneath all the paint, in order to gain a better understanding of how the artist thought things through.

I really really recommend you watch this video by the person who made the Drawabox art tutorial program. He discusses how having aphantasia (the inability to imagine objects in his mind's eye) actually made him a stronger artist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgXSxxEjgs

In short: No one expects artists to be spatial reasoning savants. If the only musicians out there were the ones with perfect pitch, how much great music would the world be bereft of?

Learning art
Around the age of 29 I started taking art really seriously, just like you. I played around with drawing in my mid 20s, but by the age of 29 I decided to start studying seriously. I want to share with you some of my art progress to give you a sense of what that progression has been like for me. I really adore comics, and my goal is to make graphic novels.

Age 27. No formal art education.

I drew this comic page for a comics class I was taking. The comics class did not really teach any fundamental art skills; it was purely about comics as a language. This was the absolute extent of what I could draw.

Age 30. Taking a community college Drawing 1 class.

Age 30. Taking Drawing 2.

Age 31. Taking a community college Intro to Digital Media class.
(This is a rough animatic of a scene from the second Evangelion Rebuild movie)
https://i.imgur.com/7A91anP.mp4

Age 32. Started working on a webcomic (You can read the first chapter here).

I'm not exactly an art genius, as you can tell. And, to be honest, drawing from reference is still challenging for me, much less drawing from imagination. But I've been at this for a few years now, plugging away in my free time. And I think the secret to art is practice, openness to uncertainty, experimentation, and acceptance of imperfection. The secret is not talent.

The book recommendations that have been listed above are great. I also want to recommend some resources:
Proko: His brand new Beginner Drawing class is probably the perfect place to start.
Drawabox: https://drawabox.com/
Line of action, has models for you to draw on a timer: https://line-of-action.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing
Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
Making Comics by Scott McCloud (sequel to Understanding Comics)
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (good for absolute beginners)
The Natural Way to Draw (has some really good concepts for learning to draw. sicko masochists will try to actually go through the book as a course though, which is probably not worth it)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. If you really want to draw, you can do it with printer paper and a number 2 pencil. If you have a little bit of a budget, I recommend buying a $10 sketchbook, hard pencil and a soft pencil, a kneadable eraser and a gum eraser, a ruler, and maybe a set of sakura micron pens to begin with. Fill up that sketchbook with as many crimes against art as possible. Start by drawing things you see on google images and by doing still life drawings. Look at artists whose work you want to emulate and draw what they draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU