Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

I've always wanted to be good at drawing. However, I only draw very rarely due to the fear that I'll never be as good as I want to be because of my poor spatial reasoning skills. When I take those tests where you mentally fold the cubes, I get very bad anxiety and I'm completely lost. Then I'll maybe get 2/10 right, and I probably just guessed the two right.

I want to be able to come up with characters and scenes from my head, I want to be able to draw imaginatively. I'm willing to put in 8 hours of practice a day or more, I'm prepared to dedicate my life completely to this, thinking and working my way around whatever problem arises at all times. I want it very very badly. It's pretty much the only thing I want. I'm just deathly afraid that it's not possible due to my seemingly putrid spatial reasoning ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

Thank you for your reply. Also, are spatial skills something that are permanently fixed or can they actually be improved upon? A lot of people online say that it’s possible, but I’m not entirely convinced that that’s not just optimistic wishful thinking given to the people that worry about this sort of thing. I want to ask once and for all, can my spatial skills be a lot better than they are now with all sorts of different practices, or are they permanently screwed?

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

I just desperately want to believe that if I set my mind to it 100%, dedicate my life to it, every waking moment and every thought going to this thing, practicing for HOURS and HOURS each day, I could get to be where I want to be, when it comes to imaginative drawing. Get spatial reasoning books, practicing visualization, in addition to the sheer hours and hours of practice, just completely dedicating my life to it. It's the only thing I want in life and I'll never be happy without it. I just desperately want to believe it's possible.

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

isasphere posted:

What you want is achievable, but please don't torture yourself for it.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your replies. I'm just a stranger on the internet, but you just did a really big thing for me by saying that. Now I just have to believe it myself.

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

And another immense thank you to yourself, friend. These words mean the world to me. Self-doubt and anxiety rule my life. I'm constantly worried about my spatial reasoning, my age being too late (28, ha), and the ruining of my own brain from past drug use, long stagnation, years and years of depression, screen addiction, all types of things. It's all comorbid with my ADHD and depression. Deep down, I know worrying about these things are silly, and mostly unfound. I'm just tired of being a coward about this and I'm finally ready to get going.

I'm going to get all those books you recommended. I've always heard about Loomis and how good he is, I think I'm going to get his entire bibliography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

My interests lie in conquering drawing in a sense that I can do whatever I want when an idea for any image dawns on me. I know comparisons are unhealthy, especially when it comes to masters of the craft, but I want to be like Crumb or Clowes or Coleman etc, being really creative and having the ability to put down on the page whatever it is that comes to my head.