Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

nonentity2st posted:

And another immense thank you to yourself, friend. These words mean the world to me. Self-doubt and anxiety rule my life. I'm constantly worried about my spatial reasoning, my age being too late (28, ha), and the ruining of my own brain from past drug use, long stagnation, years and years of depression, screen addiction, all types of things. It's all comorbid with my ADHD and depression. Deep down, I know worrying about these things are silly, and mostly unfound. I'm just tired of being a coward about this and I'm finally ready to get going.

I'm going to get all those books you recommended. I've always heard about Loomis and how good he is, I think I'm going to get his entire bibliography.

28 is definitely not too late to engage with art. I don't know your current skill level, but I can share my own experience as someone much older who has progressed tremendously and very recently. I spent years doodling, sketching, and casually trying to learn cartooning from elementary school until I was around your age. I'm about to turn 38, and in the last 2-3 years my drawing skills have advanced exponentially (no joke - lmk if you want the receipts) than in all of the years beforehand. I am still garbage at spatial reasoning, but it's because I don't draw things beyond, like, still lifes and figures. There were a few things that really helped:

1. Daily, small exercises. My ex-husband bought me a small bonsai one day. I drew a gesture pose every day. Sometimes I only spent two minutes, sometimes I spent 10. The progress over a couple of months was bonkers.
2. Local community arts classes. Check out yours. Drawing and painting classes together helped my grasp of form and lighting, which are low-key pretty important to spatial reasoning.
3. Generously posted videos from my local public university's art school on formal perspective. Check out your local universities, too. I lucked out with my local school. They honestly probably have an entire art program online for absolutely free. (You can increase the play speed if you gotta go fast for videos like me.)
4. YouTube: The Art Prof posts a lot of information on how to use different mediums, what makes an effective portfolio for different avenues (school, illustration, galleries, etc.), and daily slice-of-life practice. I watched one video on gouache that gave me enough confidence to paint along with a Ghibli movie. (Please note that I am an absolute coward and did not want to even try.) The video is not specifically perspective-oriented, but it's a really helpful channel.

Find classes on landscapes or cityscapes rather than figure drawing. Draw formal perspective lines before doodling/drawing your surroundings, and you will get exponentially better over a month or two. If you keep it up for over a year? Pfffffffffft. Sell that poo poo. (Please note that I do not sell art and I do not typically draw things in rooms or larger areas than a tabletop. But the learning curve is no joke. The top 2 items on my list were the biggest things that (1) let me overcome my self-esteem issues enough to tackle bigger projects (which opened the door to drawing the whole area around me instead of specific objects or people), and (2) helped me grasp lighting and form enough on a small scale to be able to "see" and feel comfortable attempting to draw it on a larger scale. (While I live to try new things, I am, again, a coward.)

If you practice drawing objects realistically, you can build a strong foundation to trying spatial manipulation of objects (it sounds like that is what you're wanting to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU