Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

if thats the dish you mean its usually just called something like "soybeans stir fried with minced pork"

looks right! i didnt make the connection to edamame, but i generally like that too, so p likely. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I’ve been to macau and hong kong once, pre-crackdown on liberties and freedom, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

you mean a boat?

idk it was called something else

it was like ten year anniversary of king kong escaping queen elizabeth the second, and there was this traditional boats that went between king kong island and some other island and we went on it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t remember that version

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u can imagine 🥰

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
in china they call them “boats”

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

fart simpson posted:

u mean this?

this looks really good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

u mean this?

this is a good stuff

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

even in 2008 you could have easily eaten outside your hotel and been fine. you were being told bad info

lol yes, i had a coworker go to india and complain that he got sick because he would eat random street food

just eat hot things, and avoid fried foods or stuff that isnt local e.g. sushi when youre far from the water, and you should be golden

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

in china they call them “boats”

but echis right. in "king kong" they call them "boat things"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol yes, i had a coworker go to india and complain that he got sick because he would eat random street food

just eat hot things, and avoid fried foods or stuff that isnt local e.g. sushi when youre far from the water, and you should be golden

i lived in india for a year and never once got seriously ill/food poisoning from eating anything, including random poo poo from street vendors

only times I’ve had crazy vomiting food poisoning was twice in the US and twice in western europe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I essentially cannot eat anything anywhere without getting sick. I hope this data point is useful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
going to a place that has unrecognisable street food and then not eating as much of it as possible is a sin against the lord

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

AlbertFlasher posted:

this looks really good

actually it looks like something a dog regurgitated and also bland

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i lived in india for a year and never once got seriously ill/food poisoning from eating anything, including random poo poo from street vendors

only times I’ve had crazy vomiting food poisoning was twice in the US and twice in western europe

the food in india is incredible, its excellent everywhere, even in like airport cafes and other should-be-trash places

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

git apologist posted:

actually it looks like something a dog regurgitated and also bland

turn on youare monitor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I essentially cannot eat anything anywhere without getting sick. I hope this data point is useful

perhaps you should refrain from looking into mirrors after dinner

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

git apologist posted:

the food in india is incredible, its excellent everywhere, even in like airport cafes and other should-be-trash places

actually the food at the guest house at the aluminum plant in Jharsaguda was quite bad, sorry to say. Would recommend packing a lunch if you’re working on site there. I bet the cafeteria food was great though and everything else was good as well.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

rotor posted:

perhaps you should refrain from looking into mirrors after dinner

:kingsley:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Anachronist posted:

actually the food at the guest house at the aluminum plant in Jharsaguda was quite bad, sorry to say. Would recommend packing a lunch if you’re working on site there. I bet the cafeteria food was great though and everything else was good as well.

oh gently caress youre not supposed to eat the alumium? :doh:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Raluek posted:

looks right! i didnt make the connection to edamame, but i generally like that too, so p likely. :tipshat:

what's your opinion on sei gwai do? or however you are supposed to romanize it: https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-fried-string-beans-sichuan/

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

git apologist posted:

i got so loving fat while i lived there lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
kinda surprising; indian food usually isn't that bad for fat and all that what with no beef and usually no pork except in a few specific regions for things like vindaloo. unless you keep going for the butter chicken and curies with cream-based sauces i guess

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

not to worry I'll counterbalance it by eating my weight in jaggery at every meal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

kinda surprising; indian food usually isn't that bad for fat and all that what with no beef and usually no pork except in a few specific regions for things like vindaloo. unless you keep going for the butter chicken and curies with cream-based sauces i guess

counterpoint: ghee

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

you’re forgetting vegetable oils, which are in a lot as well

decent restaurant food in India has all the fat/oil levels maxed up for maximum flavor, i ate out every day for an entire year heh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

or you're in rajasthan basically doing butter shots or you're in maharashtra eating some soup with a quarter inch of ghee floating in it or you're eating a poo poo ton of rice or or or

:cmon:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
huh. so my indian cooking is actually more authentic than i thought

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

huh. so my indian cooking is actually more authentic than i thought

mods change name to Dum Daal Fuckfest

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

counterpoint: ghee

yeah but most families arent dousing food in ghee/oil unless youre in the farming/laboring type of regions

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Crazy Achmed posted:

what's your opinion on sei gwai do? or however you are supposed to romanize it: https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-fried-string-beans-sichuan/

i don't believe i have tried it, but, would

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a carb rich diet that also tastes good so it’s hard to stop eating?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah, i guess. average calorie intake for the whole country is pretty low, but i guess that's poverty more than anything else. also lol at all the rich countries topping that list, except for japan which is in 109th place between kyrgyzstan and suriname somehow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Crazy Achmed posted:

mandarin would be “gan bian si ji dou”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve got a question that’s simply a curiosity, and I’m curious if this is a cultural thing or not

at work we have a staff kitchen, and when it comes to cleaning it and putting on the dishwasher (and fixing the forks that have been put spike end down so it stops the spinny part from spinning :argh:) etc, there is quite a disparity where some people do the work and pitch in and others just ignore it completely all the time

generally the people who pitch in are people who grew up in nz, and the people who don’t are people who have come here from china (we have almost a half and half mix of those two groups and almost no one else)

no judgement from me, I’m just curious if someone who has more experience of cultures if there’s something like a “if it’s not my responsibility it’s not my responsibility”? and if not, perhaps that’s a ignorant way to look at it. any insight would be interesting

idk I mean I don’t really care, I don’t mind cleaning it’s not a bad way to spend my time at work.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my experience is that its often a gender thing and that women will generally clean up the break room and men will use dirty coffee cups until mold grows in them over a long weekend and then throw them out

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the one time i had roommates (lol) neither of them would do the dishes or clean after themselves and would instead blame me for using all the dishes in the sink and leaving poo poo everywhere, then would go to the store and buy plasticware and paper plates until i cleaned everything then the cycle would repeat. boy did i get owned for a whole rear end calendar year

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
imagine buying plasticware and loving paper plates because you're such a broken loving miserable individual to take 12 minutes and do the god drat dishes. jesus h loving christ the state of some people's kids

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

imagine buying plasticware and loving paper plates because you're such a broken loving miserable individual to take 12 minutes and do the god drat dishes. jesus h loving christ the state of some people's kids

My rude teen son is a hyperslob and i feel really bad for his future roommates, I'm sorry, i did my best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

i’ve got a question that’s simply a curiosity, and I’m curious if this is a cultural thing or not

at work we have a staff kitchen, and when it comes to cleaning it and putting on the dishwasher (and fixing the forks that have been put spike end down so it stops the spinny part from spinning :argh:) etc, there is quite a disparity where some people do the work and pitch in and others just ignore it completely all the time

generally the people who pitch in are people who grew up in nz, and the people who don’t are people who have come here from china (we have almost a half and half mix of those two groups and almost no one else)

no judgement from me, I’m just curious if someone who has more experience of cultures if there’s something like a “if it’s not my responsibility it’s not my responsibility”? and if not, perhaps that’s a ignorant way to look at it. any insight would be interesting

idk I mean I don’t really care, I don’t mind cleaning it’s not a bad way to spend my time at work.

easy: people in china don’t generally have dishwashers