Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's not a UAV if someone gets into it though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dioxazine posted:

it's not a UAV if someone gets into it though..

it still is: he said a woman got into it

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shenzen seems like one of those places that are fun to visit for a week or two, like London or New York, but that potentially do bad things to you. I lived in London for a few years and one day found myself tutting at an old lady that was leaving the tube a bit too slowly. that was the day i resolved to leave

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

it still is: he said a woman got into it

:prepop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

Shenzen seems like one of those places that are fun to visit for a week or two, like London or New York, but that potentially do bad things to you. I lived in London for a few years and one day found myself tutting at an old lady that was leaving the tube a bit too slowly. that was the day i resolved to leave

idk ive lived in shenzhen for 13 years and i turned out fine

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fart simpson posted:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Nothing is actually close to Sydney but China is on the list of least far away places that i haven't been to. I'll definitely check it out at some point

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

visiting shenzhen sounds like a lot of fun, and I have a bunch of former colleagues who moved to shanghai to do startups inviting me to come visit whenever I want which would be great too

gotta wait for China-Canada relations to improve before I do it though because I ain't traveling there on a Canadian passport as things stand

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

one of my previous jobs sent me to hk for two weeks, staying in a 5* hotel with a $100 dollar a day food budget. when i turned up at the hotel the deposit they asked for was bigger than my at card limit at the time, had to make an embarrassing phone call to the EA at my employer asking them to pay the hotel directly. was a lot of fun eating out every night for free at some of the best restaurants in the world

that's my shenzhen adjacent story thanks for reading

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

visiting shenzhen sounds like a lot of fun, and I have a bunch of former colleagues who moved to shanghai to do startups inviting me to come visit whenever I want which would be great too

gotta wait for China-Canada relations to improve before I do it though because I ain't traveling there on a Canadian passport as things stand

paraguay was selling citizenship back in 2016 if you're interested! not sure if they still are

it might be worth it just so you can hang out with fart simpson

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

one restaurant I went to i when dining alone had a menu - since I didn't know what any of the dishes were I ordered it, thinking it would be a "choose one from these 4 options" deal for each course (didn't really get asian meals style yet). it was actually 1 of everything on the list and i was completely swamped with food, i can still remember some of it though, like these salty and spicy chicken bits with sichuan peppers and incredible amounts of umami

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

one restaurant I went to i when dining alone had a menu - since I didn't know what any of the dishes were I ordered it, thinking it would be a "choose one from these 4 options" deal for each course (didn't really get asian meals style yet). it was actually 1 of everything on the list and i was completely swamped with food, i can still remember some of it though, like these salty and spicy chicken bits with sichuan peppers and incredible amounts of umami

was it 辣子鸡

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dijkstracula posted:

are you a spy? if not you’ll be fine there’s lots of canadians here right now

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

everyone named michael is a spy, we know this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

one of my previous jobs sent me to hk for two weeks, staying in a 5* hotel with a $100 dollar a day food budget. when i turned up at the hotel the deposit they asked for was bigger than my at card limit at the time, had to make an embarrassing phone call to the EA at my employer asking them to pay the hotel directly. was a lot of fun eating out every night for free at some of the best restaurants in the world

that's my shenzhen adjacent story thanks for reading

when work sent me to hong kong back around the time i moved to china, the trip wa very last minute and the only hotel they could find for me was like $350 a night and when i checked in i asked the front desk if i could be moved to a cheaper room and they looked at me funny and said “sir you’re already staying in the cheapest room in the hotel”

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

fart simpson posted:

are you a spy? if not you’ll be fine there’s lots of canadians here right now

not a spy, just paranoid about Ottawa doing something stupid during my visit that leads me to getting Two Michaelsed for a few years

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Dijkstracula posted:

not a spy, just paranoid about Ottawa doing something stupid during my visit that leads me to getting Two Michaelsed for a few years

ya but they were spies so if you aren't then you should be fine

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sorry they weren't spies they were "consultants" working in china

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AlbertFlasher posted:

ya but they were spies so if you aren't then you should be fine

his name is also michael

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

AlbertFlasher posted:

sorry they weren't spies they were "consultants" working in china

who got scooped up the moment Meng Wanzhou was arrested and then mysteriously released the moment Meng Wanzhou was released

the problem with arbitrary detention is that it ends up feeling arbitrary

e: anyway sorry this is a distraction from the important stuff itt, namely photos of food

fart simpson posted:

his name is also michael

michstracula

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 21, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AND ITS WHISPER QUIET

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

was it 辣子鸡

that looks like it although I think they made me a milder white person version as it wasn't super spicy (I'm grateful tbh it was perfect for me)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Other things I enjoyed were shrimp siu mai

And the pork buns which are baked instead of steamed. These were lethal could have eaten them all day long

Also spicy shrimp and mushroom noodles. Actually basically all the food in big Chinese seems to be incredible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bamboo shoots rock

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

And the pork buns which are baked instead of steamed. These were lethal could have eaten them all day long

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man!

That was a fun game. I was pleasantly surprised.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

AlbertFlasher posted:

That was a fun game. I was pleasantly surprised.

i replayed it when i first moved to HK - it was fun to try and match reality to how it was portrayed in the game. broad strokes it's a p close match, but most of the details are clearly changed to make the game more fun/playable.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

i don't get the congee hate. if the savoury oatmeal analogy is too weird for you, then it's basically risotto with a lighter texture and Chinese spices/flavour profile. or one of those soups/stews with barley in it, but with more barley. like how is this weirder than chicken and waffles

it doesn’t taste very good is the main reason i think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

git apologist posted:

just to check: do you like risotto?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just to check: do you like risotto?

congee is a lot goopier than risotto

i think its the texture thats a turn-off for most westerners. As someone (bob maybe?) noted, "texture" for westerners is basically just one axis with "smooth" at one end and "crunchy" at the other

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cháo Gŕ... thats good eatin

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

git apologist posted:

you can season it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

guy eating plain congee: dang this tastes bland

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

guy eating dog poo poo with salt and pepper, mmm delicious

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

guy eating dog poo poo with salt and pepper, mmm delicious

they add all kinds of stuff to congee. vegetables, meat, seafood

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

congee is a lot goopier than risotto

i think its the texture thats a turn-off for most westerners. As someone (bob maybe?) noted, "texture" for westerners is basically just one axis with "smooth" at one end and "crunchy" at the other

sounds like something i would say

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

git apologist posted:

yeah i need to check, are you putting anything in the congee or just trying to east overcooked rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just paid 256 rmb for two cocktails in a bar that had a 120 rmb per person cover charge. lol.