Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AlbertFlasher posted:

We are shipping some product to Shenzhen today at work. I've never been there before. Is it nice? Seems nice.

I think fart simpson lives there. How is it?

i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dijkstracula posted:

I don't think I'd ever have cause to visit but this Wired piece about it always made it seem like a really unique place

so I just play Shenzen I/O instead

fun fact: i was hired to play bass in a cover band for a halloween show one of the factory owners in this video. my picture made it into the shenzhen daily newspaper, where i was playing bass while wearing a cheap ghostbusters costume

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shenzhen is unironically a great city

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

last time I was there was about 15 years ago and it was a grimy and depressing place, and you couldn’t eat anywhere outside the fancy foreigner hotel because it would destroy your delicate western intestines. I imagine it’s probably improved since then

even in 2008 you could have easily eaten outside your hotel and been fine. you were being told bad info

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raluek posted:

i went there for work pre-covid but it was way out in the sticks. wish i could have spent some time in actual downtown shenzhen

pretty much all the food was amazing though. whats the name of the dish that's like a pile of those fresh green lima-looking beans but with like bits of chopped pork (?) in there too. good poo poo

u mean this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if thats the dish you mean its usually just called something like "soybeans stir fried with minced pork"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well i guess maybe you call it edamame because theyre green soybeans harvested before theyre fully ripe, which is what edamame is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I went to hong kong and I went on a boat thing

you mean a boat?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i don’t remember that version

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

in china they call them “boats”

but echis right. in "king kong" they call them "boat things"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Crazy Achmed posted:

what's your opinion on sei gwai do? or however you are supposed to romanize it: https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-fried-string-beans-sichuan/

mandarin would be “gan bian si ji dou”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

i’ve got a question that’s simply a curiosity, and I’m curious if this is a cultural thing or not

at work we have a staff kitchen, and when it comes to cleaning it and putting on the dishwasher (and fixing the forks that have been put spike end down so it stops the spinny part from spinning :argh:) etc, there is quite a disparity where some people do the work and pitch in and others just ignore it completely all the time

generally the people who pitch in are people who grew up in nz, and the people who don’t are people who have come here from china (we have almost a half and half mix of those two groups and almost no one else)

no judgement from me, I’m just curious if someone who has more experience of cultures if there’s something like a “if it’s not my responsibility it’s not my responsibility”? and if not, perhaps that’s a ignorant way to look at it. any insight would be interesting

idk I mean I don’t really care, I don’t mind cleaning it’s not a bad way to spend my time at work.

easy: people in china don’t generally have dishwashers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

never been a big congee fan

same

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

rice porridge. basically rice but if you cooked the living poo poo out of it until it got all goopy, then added good stuff to it.

its literally just oatmeal but you use rice instead of oats. and its usually not sweetened, you either eat it plain or add savory stuff to it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

you can find out at Unit 210, 1 Kewen Road, Nanshan District !

that’s literally walking distance from my old office

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Crazy Achmed posted:

i don't get the congee hate. if the savoury oatmeal analogy is too weird for you, then it's basically risotto with a lighter texture and Chinese spices/flavour profile. like how is this weirder than chicken and waffles

i dont think it’s weird i just don’t care for porridge. ill still eat that garbage if someone makes it for me tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept posted:

some people need to be told what to do. simple as that. if the dishes are getting washed already then the thought that they should chip in from time to time simply doesn’t enter their brain.

personally I have enough anxiety about being called out or talked about behind my back that I’ll do my share just for the peace of mind

your washing them wrong

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raluek posted:

is this what stinky tofu is actually called

speaking of shenzhen, that was one smell i could not get used to or get over the idea of trying

no, "stinky tofu" is a direct translation

it smells weird but the taste is actually pretty mild

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

stinky tofu is asian blue cheese

real chinese fermentheads go for fermented bamboo shoots

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I bought this insane packet of noodles (I think I already mentioned) to make and I had no idea what it was and I took it to work and the chinese girls were like woah you won’t like that and they said it’s river snail and fermented bamboo.

I opened the outer bag and there is ten (10) individual bags of things.

I am not brave enough to try :qq:

i remember u posted the picture of the packaging in the food thread and i also told you that you wont like it. but man up and try it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://twitter.com/TripInChina/status/1670602205383254017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ADINSX posted:

Dang that’s loving cool

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1668245444600774659

e: this is right by my apartment

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bonus thread fact: that ufo thing is within a 20 minute walking distance of

graph posted:

Unit 210, 1 Kewen Road, Nanshan District !

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dioxazine posted:

it's not a UAV if someone gets into it though..

it still is: he said a woman got into it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

Shenzen seems like one of those places that are fun to visit for a week or two, like London or New York, but that potentially do bad things to you. I lived in London for a few years and one day found myself tutting at an old lady that was leaving the tube a bit too slowly. that was the day i resolved to leave

idk ive lived in shenzhen for 13 years and i turned out fine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

one restaurant I went to i when dining alone had a menu - since I didn't know what any of the dishes were I ordered it, thinking it would be a "choose one from these 4 options" deal for each course (didn't really get asian meals style yet). it was actually 1 of everything on the list and i was completely swamped with food, i can still remember some of it though, like these salty and spicy chicken bits with sichuan peppers and incredible amounts of umami

was it 辣子鸡

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dijkstracula posted:

visiting shenzhen sounds like a lot of fun, and I have a bunch of former colleagues who moved to shanghai to do startups inviting me to come visit whenever I want which would be great too

gotta wait for China-Canada relations to improve before I do it though because I ain't traveling there on a Canadian passport as things stand

are you a spy? if not you’ll be fine there’s lots of canadians here right now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

one of my previous jobs sent me to hk for two weeks, staying in a 5* hotel with a $100 dollar a day food budget. when i turned up at the hotel the deposit they asked for was bigger than my at card limit at the time, had to make an embarrassing phone call to the EA at my employer asking them to pay the hotel directly. was a lot of fun eating out every night for free at some of the best restaurants in the world

that's my shenzhen adjacent story thanks for reading

when work sent me to hong kong back around the time i moved to china, the trip wa very last minute and the only hotel they could find for me was like $350 a night and when i checked in i asked the front desk if i could be moved to a cheaper room and they looked at me funny and said “sir you’re already staying in the cheapest room in the hotel”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AlbertFlasher posted:

ya but they were spies so if you aren't then you should be fine

his name is also michael

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

guy eating dog poo poo with salt and pepper, mmm delicious

they add all kinds of stuff to congee. vegetables, meat, seafood

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

congee is a lot goopier than risotto

i think its the texture thats a turn-off for most westerners. As someone (bob maybe?) noted, "texture" for westerners is basically just one axis with "smooth" at one end and "crunchy" at the other

sounds like something i would say

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just paid 256 rmb for two cocktails in a bar that had a 120 rmb per person cover charge. lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah they had a jazz combo play a bunch of louis armstrong music it was cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that’s like $70 for two drinks lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

China is the type of place I’d want a month to visit everything and experience it all

:sigh: maybe one day

ime you need to live here for at least 13 years to understand any of it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in shenzhen news, we have a typhoon hitting tomorrow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im ready coach

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

fart are you getting shat on by the rain too? HK has had a black rain warning since 11pm last night and the gov is gonna take “additional measures” at 3pm.

this is the heaviest rainfall since they started record keeping in 1884

yeah lol it’s bad. working from home today, a bunch of roads and subway stations are flooded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

water never hurt anyone