Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/world/europe/british-nurse-newborn-deaths-lucy-letby.html

I work in a hospital and it astounds me that it took so long to figure out this lady was killing babies.

Sounds like she was loopy too, but can still burn in hell forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
I was hoping this was about a baby who was a serial killer. :(

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
it's getting non stop coverage on the bbc news.

the scandal is not that she did these things - unfortunately whackjobs like this do crop up from time to time - it's that the hospital had tons of chances to stop it and they just didn't

Like if they'd taken action earlier, maybe half as many babies might have died. no-one will be held accountable for that failure tho

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

it's getting non stop coverage on the bbc news.

:wrong: (i posted this and they immediately switched to talking about Sara Sharif)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just here for the free hat.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

tiaz posted:

What jury would convict a sweet baby serial killer?

Das Boo posted:

The "I Survived the Countess of Chester Hospital NeoNatal Unit and all I Got was This Stupid Hat" hat?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

PureEvil6_13 posted:

What jury would convict a sweet baby serial killer?

texas

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
It's a good thing this doesn't happen in the Netherlands cuz I don't think anyone would take a Dutch Baby Serial Killer seriously

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

PureEvil6_13 posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/world/europe/british-nurse-newborn-deaths-lucy-letby.html

I work in a hospital and it astounds me that it took so long to figure out this lady was killing babies.

Sounds like she was loopy too, but can still burn in hell forever

Nice username-post combo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It was self defense

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

tiaz posted:

wouldn't that be a fun show or movie? :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah just a incredibly depressing story about how a literal murderer was allowed to kill infants where someone was like "Hey all these babies are dying this is kind of sus" and the hospital was like "Oh its fine"

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
UK crime is weird because it seems like there are overall far fewer violent criminals, but when there is one they just get to do whatever they like out in the obvious open for years unimpeded, like Ian Watkins

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Or that extremely obvious and well-known pedophile that hosted a kid show for years and everyone was afraid of.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
we don't talk enough about the baby cereal killers tho

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Man, I want some Raisin Bran Crunch.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
We have no guns but we also just can't be arsed to deal with anything really

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure hell is real, OP.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Wee posted:

Not sure hell is real, OP.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Was that the wrong thing to do? the killing of the babies? should she not have done that?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'll say it, the evidence all seems pretty circumstantial and the media reporting is based around targeting her character rather than looking at the actual incidents.

I'm not saying she's innocent because I don't think anyone knows for certain, but it's very easy to get sucked into a narrative here, especially with the media circus this has turned into.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Imagine hating babies this much

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008

Beartaco posted:

I'll say it, the evidence all seems pretty circumstantial and the media reporting is based around targeting her character rather than looking at the actual incidents.

I'm not saying she's innocent because I don't think anyone knows for certain, but it's very easy to get sucked into a narrative here, especially with the media circus this has turned into.

drat, were you on the jury?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Shania Twain posted:

drat, were you on the jury?

No. I haven't been to a trial before, but I have seen a fair share of media shitshows and I know when to be cautious.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What if the babies were Hitler? Anyone ever think of that?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pretty impressive to be a baby and a serial killer if you ask me

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Beartaco posted:

No. I haven't been to a trial before, but I have seen a fair share of media shitshows and I know when to be cautious.

Good point, she's probably just being railroaded by the justice system.

quote:

The police also collected Ms. Letby’s handwritten notes and diary entries, which contained damning confessions. One read, “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them.”

Um, or, she's a time traveler, and she's just murdering the bad ones.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

She may have literally said "I killed them on purpose", been the only person that had contact with all of the suspicious deaths, and been convicted of such by a jury of her peers, but I think we really need to give her a fair shake here in the only Court that matters, the Court of Goon Opinion.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Beartaco posted:

the jury found her guilty of some of the counts, not guilty of some, and couldn't reach a verdict on several more.

they didn't just buy into a story being spun by a media circus and find her guilty of everything. they evaluated the evidence for each charge and while we don't know what happened in the jury room, they clearly applied some criteria to say "ok these counts are proven and these ones are not". they didn't just say "she seems well dodgy mate, guilty of all of it"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's many such cases of the Justice System and Media conspiring to put innocent people behind bars, just look at what they've done to our perfect, sweet, extremely fit and buff, little former president Ronald Jon Trump.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

There's many such cases of the Justice System and Media conspiring to put innocent people behind bars, just look at what they've done to our perfect, sweet, extremely fit and buff, little former president Ronald Jon Trump.

Hold on, Donalp Trump was president?!?!?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I respect the sentiment, if not the practice itself. Civilization of death ftw

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
It's extremely British to not want to cause a fuss when you think maybe someone you work with is murdering babies at the office

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's hard to imagine a legitimate reason for having done this. Especially seven times. I hope she had a good explanation.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I’m trying to turn up a shred of humor in the nurse infant serial killer category and I can’t find any

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
knowing how bad the trust I work for is, I honestly think this kind of thing is happening everywhere in the UK right now

NHS cover ups are wild

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

It's extremely British to not want to cause a fuss when you think maybe someone you work with is murdering babies at the office

This is part of the issue. Some doctors and consultants raised concerns but Hospital Management told them to leave Lucy alone as they claimed they were bullying and harassing her or some poo poo.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread but if anyone wants to talk about the case then I'd recommend going to The D&D UKMT as there will inevitably be ongoing discussion about it because the UK Media is going nuts. I expect an ITV Drama by next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

shouldn't kill babies

that's just not on imo