Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
(letby declined to attend her sentencing)

the bbc just aired a surreal discussion between their newsreader and an expert who lamented that while judges can summon defendants to the court, and custody officers can use "reasonable force" to get defendants to attend, it's not legal for custody officers to use "whatever force is necessary" to make them come to the court for sentencing

aside from the weirdness of focussing so specifically on this, what do they think they would achieve by obliging the convicted defendant to attend their sentencing? if the idea is to try to force them to show remorse then they're on a hiding to nothing. you can't force someone to have the "correct" reaction to something, no matter how strongly you feel that they ought to. this goes especially for people who by definition have something hosed in their heads, like say, someone who would murder several babies in intensive care

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hammerite posted:

the bbc just aired a surreal discussion between their newsreader and an expert who lamented that while judges can summon defendants to the court, and custody officers can use "reasonable force" to get defendants to attend, it's not legal for custody officers to use "whatever force is necessary" to make them come to the court for sentencing

aside from the weirdness of focussing so specifically on this, what do they think they would achieve by obliging the convicted defendant to attend their sentencing? if the idea is to try to force them to show remorse then they're on a hiding to nothing. you can't force someone to have the "correct" reaction to something, no matter how strongly you feel that they ought to. this goes especially for people who by definition have something hosed in their heads, like say, someone who would murder several babies in intensive care

a lot of the public went mental that she wouldn't have to listen to the parents statements because she wasn't going to the sentencing. so i think they're catering to that crowd.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

iirc the family of Olivia Pratt-Korbel are wanting to have the law changed or harsher sentences for people who don't attend their hearing after the gunman refused to face his. It's been brought up a fair few times recently. Deffo seen a petition going around.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

a lot of the public went mental that she wouldn't have to listen to the parents statements because she wasn't going to the sentencing. so i think they're catering to that crowd.

I don't really like this practice of doing "victim impact statements" in the case of a murder (or manslaughter, basically anything where the victim dies). like if the crime for which the person is being sentenced is say, a robbery or assault or something, then fair enough. But I don't like that this is done in the case where the victim per se is dead, for two reasons.

1. I think it should be accepted as a matter of course that a human life matters - regardless of who the person is - and this doesn't vary according to whether someone shows up to say how the loss of that person has affected them, or how much they'll be missed or etc.
2. it seems to imply that if someone dies and they don't have anyone who is moved enough to make a "victim impact statement", it doesn't matter so much, or it might be treated as not mattering so much*. While that scenario might be rare/unlikely it seems pretty offensive to me (see 1)

Solefald posted:

iirc the family of Olivia Pratt-Korbel are wanting to have the law changed or harsher sentences for people who don't attend their hearing after the gunman refused to face his. It's been brought up a fair few times recently. Deffo seen a petition going around.

that's all very well unless you have a convicted defendant who already knows they're getting the harshest sentence the law can provide

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Hammerite posted:

I don't really like this practice of doing "victim impact statements" in the case of a murder (or manslaughter, basically anything where the victim dies). like if the crime for which the person is being sentenced is say, a robbery or assault or something, then fair enough. But I don't like that this is done in the case where the victim per se is dead, for two reasons.

1. I think it should be accepted as a matter of course that a human life matters - regardless of who the person is - and this doesn't vary according to whether someone shows up to say how the loss of that person has affected them, or how much they'll be missed or etc.
2. it seems to imply that if someone dies and they don't have anyone who is moved enough to make a "victim impact statement", it doesn't matter so much, or it might be treated as not mattering so much*. While that scenario might be rare/unlikely it seems pretty offensive to me (see 1)

that's all very well unless you have a convicted defendant who already knows they're getting the harshest sentence the law can provide

I agree with your points but in those circumstances the victim impact statements are really the only time in a UK trial where the families have any sort of input into the proceedings or feel like they were heard. I suppose it's also a chance before sentencing for them to appeal to the court for a harsher/lesser sentence for the convicted (but I suppose you don't need them there for that).

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like this Lucy Letby is a bit of a dick

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Icochet posted:

Sounds like this Lucy Letby is a bit of a dick

A real jerk!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Beartaco posted:

I'll say it, the evidence all seems pretty circumstantial and the media reporting is based around targeting her character rather than looking at the actual incidents.

I'm not saying she's innocent because I don't think anyone knows for certain, but it's very easy to get sucked into a narrative here, especially with the media circus this has turned into.

Lol, I appreciate just dipping from the thread after this thinkpiece

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Grenfell is a pretty good example of this. Have any landlords gone to jail for murdering 72 people? Nope!

It's been 6-7 loving years and there's barely been any repercussions for the people who knowingly maintained a death trap to save money.

*In insanely smug eton twat voice* thats because all the deaths at grenfell were suicide, anyone with common sense would of simply walked out of the burning build- wait why are you locking me in a shipping container there's an election on I need to speak to people!!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Drone_Fragger posted:

*In insanely smug eton twat voice* thats because all the deaths at grenfell were suicide, anyone with common sense would of simply walked out of the burning build- wait why are you locking me in a shipping container there's an election on I need to speak to people!!

i saw that dude on the street once. it's unclear on tv but he is shaped entirely like a pear. his hips are 2x the width of his shoulders

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I can only assume you guys are talking about Jacob Rees Mogg who is like a living caricature, that dude is hilariously out of touch

Also wasn't he a real big proponent of brexit

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

free hubcaps posted:

I can only assume you guys are talking about Jacob Rees Mogg who is like a living caricature, that dude is hilariously out of touch

Also wasn't he a real big proponent of brexit

whatever faults he has, rees mogg is not shaped like a pear. he is a human pencil

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

he's actually quite podgy he just wears ill-fitting suits to hide it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Shaped like a pear of loving bollocks, the scrote.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You lot giving this woman a lot of grief becaues she's a monster. Well when we invent time travel guess who they're gonna need to wax baby hitler. oh, now she's a hero huh

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Jacob Rees Mogg is actually the ghost of a 17th century landowner, given corporeal form by Tory magic

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Hammerite posted:

whatever faults he has, rees mogg is not shaped like a pear. he is a human pencil

you're telling me to disbelieve my own eyes. how many times have you seen that dude in person? i'm telling you he's deceptively zaftig. also basically a dead eyed alien out to kill us all

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hammerite posted:

It’s absolutely crazy that someone who you’re going to forcibly detain for the rest of their life who has been declared guilty not innocent can’t be forcibly made to attend their own legal proceedings

Britain’s known for its obsessive love of procedure but this is still illogical frankly

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

can’t believe that loopy leftie liberal europe is impinging on this women’s god given right to murder at will.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s absolutely crazy that someone who you’re going to forcibly detain for the rest of their life who has been declared guilty not innocent can’t be forcibly made to attend their own legal proceedings

i don't agree that it's crazy but that's not the point. the point is that it's totally immaterial whether she attends or not. it makes no difference whether she is in court for the sentencing, or in her cell sulking, or sitting staring at the wall in a dissociative trance or whatever she does with her time now. since it makes no difference, it is a silly waste of energy to make a big fuss about it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

It makes a difference to the victims’ families.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

jacob rees mogg is a oval office, probe me

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I've always liked him. The man has pep

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Britain’s known for its obsessive love of procedure but this is still illogical frankly

Courts are expensive as gently caress to run and have limited budgets. Now imagine them having to deal with fuckers like Nicholas Rossi who've had a decision made on them they dont like - then having the court force someone like him in and then deal with their bullshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i dont think its right that they gave her a silly nickname

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

It makes a difference to the victims’ families.

Criminal justice isn’t about retribution.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
This makes me so angry I just want to make the legal system worse for everyone.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It is the duty of the prisoner to frustrate their captors through any means possible

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

git apologist posted:

jacob rees mogg is a oval office, probe me

Truth is the ultimate defence to libel though??

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Drone_Fragger posted:

Truth is the ultimate defence to libel though??

apparently not the case in the uk

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
in my opinion she shouldn’t have killed that many babies

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mozi posted:

in my opinion she shouldn’t have killed that many babies

hey hey hey let’s have some decorum

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
how many of those babies were vaccinated :thunk:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Drunk Nerds posted:

It takes a lot to make a Stephen King villain look "not that evil"

Goddamn what a piece of poo poo. I had babies in the NICU and had 24/7 terror having to trust their care to strangers. If this had happened before that, I think I would've not left the incubators at all.

My point is, having a baby in NICU is already a cripplingly horrific experience and now everyone in Britain who goes through that is going to be that much more terrified.

gently caress this lady.

Yeah being in the US and proudly despising all things english I didn’t hear about this till recently. And thank god. My kids were emergency C-sectioned last year and in the NICU last year and their mother was already distraught like it was her fault and not being able to trust nurses in that situation, gently caress I can’t imagine.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip: babies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halisnacks posted:

Criminal justice isn’t about retribution.

Giving victims a voice is retribution?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
As it is, with the victims able to make their statements to the court, no it’s not retributive. If the convicted were forced to listen to the statements as part of their punishment, yes I would say that would be retribution.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maybe these babies just had bad vibes