Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

When I saw Get Out, it completely entranced me. It instantly became one of those classics in my mind that I've now seen like 30 times and keeps me on the edge of my seat even now. I assumed anything else that this guy put out would be my jam and was really excited for.

Then Us came out and I was just at a loss for words. It was the dumbest most nonsensical crap imaginable. I tried watching it a few more times to see if I needed to warm up to it and yeah, it just sucks. The expository in it literally makes no sense and is honestly speaking dumb as gently caress.

But no one can put out 100% winners so I was like ok, I'm sure his next one will be really good.

Nope came out, and I gave it a shot. It was SO loving boring. I could watch it a million times and not remember a single detail. I almost fell asleep.

What the hell happened? Am I insane? I went back to watch Get Out again and it still slaps. Did they just hire some lovely director to make new movies with his name on them?

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

When I saw Get Out, it completely entranced me. It instantly became one of those classics in my mind that I've now seen like 30 times and keeps me on the edge of my seat even now. I assumed anything else that this guy put out would be my jam and was really excited for.

Then Us came out and I was just at a loss for words. It was the dumbest most nonsensical crap imaginable. I tried watching it a few more times to see if I needed to warm up to it and yeah, it just sucks. The expository in it literally makes no sense and is honestly speaking dumb as gently caress.

But no one can put out 100% winners so I was like ok, I'm sure his next one will be really good.

Nope came out, and I gave it a shot. It was SO loving boring. I could watch it a million times and not remember a single detail. I almost fell asleep.

What the hell happened? Am I insane? I went back to watch Get Out again and it still slaps. Did they just hire some lovely director to make new movies with his name on them?

I just listened to the Wait, Wait, don't tell me episode where the had Jordon Peele first as a commentator, then a guest. He was pretty good and funny on both. Guess Key is the problem

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Us > Get Out >>>>> Nope

Get Out was good but also kind of amateurish and cliche.

Yeah, Us doesn't make sense logically but it's got a vibe and a unique aesthetic, very liminal spaces-like. It's also got the best performances of his three films.

I don't know why he decided to make the dialogue in Nope so insanely scattershot and mumbley. Maybe it was an attempt at realism or an imitation of Tarantino or Aaron Sorkin or something but it's like the characters barely are speaking about the same thing half the time.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGdbaYda1j4

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ya know that was based on a true story

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Didn't like Get Out very much but found Nope to be pretty good. When the credits rolled I said "that was pretty good".

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Get Out wasn't even the best debut film in the late 2010s by an African-American director who was already well known for a far different genre of work

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Nope was the one with the aliens stealing horses right? I thought it was pretty cool but I haven't thought about it since

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

what involvement did he have with the new candyman, just produced?

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
I like Nope, it was a creature feature kinda like Tremors and taught me to be afraid of clouds, again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Won’t watch Nope again just because two scenes made me really really squeamish. I was kinda whelmed by it, especially because Get Out such a high bar for me. I regret watching the latter on a MacBook because I loved every minute of it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is there a more funny couple than Peele and Peretti?

edit: Radner and Wilder. It's on that level.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Get Out and Nope were both godawful and I'm glad people are finally realizing this

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Was bummed his twilight zone reboot was a bust. Although it did get me to look up 80s twilight zones, quite excellent.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Post the sig, pencilhands.

Wait, do sigs show up on the app?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My library had books. I particular was ascairt of the shapeshifter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My take on Peele is that his comedy sensibilities end up ruining his horror. Get Out was real creepy and good, then you keep flashing to his funny fat friend who ends up saving the day and giving us too happy an ending. Us's horror is also very quickly defused by the way the family reacts and quips to everything, the trailer was scarier then the movie. It's also "too happy" in that none of the protaganists die, not even the expendable dad.

I know his Twilight Zone reboot is supposed to be dogshit and I haven't seen Nope.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
He should make a movie about outer space and maybe cool aliens and robots

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

pencilhands posted:

Yeah,

i also can't recall a single detail from all these movies where a monkey goes apeshit on an entire sitcom cast, ripping them limb from limb.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Victor Vermis posted:

Yeah,

i also can't recall a single detail from all these movies where a monkey goes apeshit on an entire sitcom cast, ripping them limb from limb.

yea wtf how can someone not remember that

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
like i still think nope was the weakest of his movies and the ending sequence after the alien reveal went on way too long but that monkey part oof

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I thought all three were good films overall, but I do agree each one has been less good than the preceding one.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ELTON JOHN posted:

like i still think nope was the weakest of his movies and the ending sequence after the alien reveal went on way too long but that monkey part oof

The movie should have been about that chimp murdering everyone it was the best part.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

The movie should have been about that chimp murdering everyone it was the best part.

2 hours and 15 minutes of ape-on-man murder mayhem

lol but also hard pass

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

oh poo poo nevermind I've seen all the planet of the apes films and i didn't hate any of them

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Get Out affirmed that the scariest thing I can imagine is a regular-rear end dude just full sprinting at me in the dead of night.
gently caress. THAT.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Nope should have been called Hope

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Get Out affirmed that the scariest thing I can imagine is a regular-rear end dude just full sprinting at me in the dead of night.
gently caress. THAT.

I don't know I can imagine a lot of situations where I wouldn't mind it. Like if I were trapped in a burning vehicle or something.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

A night relay race

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
nope was a fun romp. it felt kind of like a coen brothers movie where a bunch of awful poo poo happens and then the credits roll and i sort of spend five minutes trying to figure out what the message was and i settle on 'drat poo poo got hosed up'

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Risking covid to watch nope in the theaters was one of my worst decisions of 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yes OP

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Get Out was okay. Like it was fine, and I don't usually vibe with horror movies? Or not even horror honestly, it was more a "spooky/creepy" movie. I relented and watched it after people around me kept going on about how amazing it was, and after seemed almost offended when they asked how I found it and I said "it was okay". Like I dunno why everyone expected me to stand up and clap or something with how brilliant it was, it was a decent to good flick.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Us is good actually

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Nope was a very slow start but goddamn did that final ‘chase’ scene blow me away. Beautiful movie, but suffered from the ‘let’s pretend day is night’ bullshit that is somehow harder to see than actually filming at night.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pope

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

nope was a fun romp. it felt kind of like a coen brothers movie where a bunch of awful poo poo happens and then the credits roll and i sort of spend five minutes trying to figure out what the message was and i settle on 'drat poo poo got hosed up'

The point is trying to make dangerous animals into props for cheap entertainment is a bad idea and often done very irresponsibly by people who don't know the first thing about them

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Post the sig, pencilhands.

Wait, do sigs show up on the app?

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What do I do if I tried to watch Get Out but fell asleep during the hypnosis scene

Like am I allowed to watch it again here what's the etiquette?