Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if it were me, i would beat the gently caress out of that ape. that's evolution bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

and also i would shoot a patriot missile straight up that alien bug's rear end in a top hat. aint no bug threatening me on MY land.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the stationary cloud thing. I liked it, I dug all those big open landscapes

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SUBLIME! posted:

Nope was dumb but fun but man that latter scene was some fire in the sky poo poo in terms of unlocking fears I didn't realize I had.

Fun thing about Fire in the Sky is that horror-like scenes of abduction and examination were just made up for drama for the movie.

Going by Travis Walton's own account, he was just a dumb kid who ran into the backwash of the alien ship as it was preparing to take off and got a lethal dose of radiation or something from it.

Then the aliens were pretty much just "Oh poo poo, I think we just killed that guy. I guess we really should do something about that." So they picked him up, fixed his injuries then dropped him off in the woods five days later.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Nope was great, and even better after reading about the underlying themes. The whole thing is about the spectacle of the modern world, Hollywood, social media. All you can do is look away or it will swallow you up as all.

Yeun's character tried to monitize the spectacle like everyone else tries to nowadays, eaten up. The artsy film buff that made his money on violent films of animal interactions? Eaten up. TMZ dude busting in on his motorbike with zero forethought, just bent on getting the shot? Eaten up. Docile chimp goes on a rampage after a guy hold eye contact with it, and the only reason it didn't tear apart the kid was because his gaze was obscured by the table cloth.

By nature we all want to look at the awful spectacles, but the only way to maintain your humanity is to look away. That's why even the alien's form looked like an old-timey camera.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Szechwan posted:

Nope was great, and even better after reading about the underlying themes. The whole thing is about the spectacle of the modern world, Hollywood, social media. All you can do is look away or it will swallow you up as all.

Yeun's character tried to monitize the spectacle like everyone else tries to nowadays, eaten up. The artsy film buff that made his money on violent films of animal interactions? Eaten up. TMZ dude busting in on his motorbike with zero forethought, just bent on getting the shot? Eaten up. Docile chimp goes on a rampage after a guy hold eye contact with it, and the only reason it didn't tear apart the kid was because his gaze was obscured by the table cloth.

By nature we all want to look at the awful spectacles, but the only way to maintain your humanity is to look away. That's why even the alien's form looked like an old-timey camera.

Bro. That "spectacle" poo poo was so loving dumb and reaching, please tell me didn't actually eat up the twitter interviewer-tier "symbolism". It was literally just a reverse-Boo wrapping paper monster.

C'mon man.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Hell Yeah posted:

and also i would shoot a patriot missile straight up that alien bug's rear end in a top hat. aint no bug threatening me on MY land.

we need more of this energy in the CSPAM UAP thread.

You are cordially invited.

(sorry if you're already a regular and i missed you, I only go there when I'm blackout drunk and angry at aliens which, to be fair, is all the time)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Szechwan posted:

… That's why even the alien's form looked like an old-timey camera.

I don’t remember that, but I’ve been meaning to rewatch it. I do know it’s form was very much inspired by octopi and other sea creatures.

I just really love the idea that alien ships are actually the alien itself

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

baalaagaa posted:

Jordan trying to come to terms with his privileged upbringing.
He grew up in the Upper West Side & attended a $50k a year private school.

please tone down the sexism there bernie

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nope was loving awesome. It reminded me a lot of Jaws. Not the dozens of poo poo ripoffs where everything is bloody and screaming stupid poo poo. Nope was loving terrifying, especially as someone who worked with animals, though nothing as insane as chimps. Hoofstock will gently caress you up.

also all the insanity with symbolism. the designs on the cowboy outfit, the necklace the mom wore on the sitcom. how Jude thought he was special when it was an outside force that saved him.

and how OJ treats everyone like he does when training horses: eye gestures, hand gestures, vocal clicks.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 22, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Toxic Mental posted:

Bro. That "spectacle" poo poo was so loving dumb and reaching, please tell me didn't actually eat up the twitter interviewer-tier "symbolism". It was literally just a reverse-Boo wrapping paper monster.

C'mon man.

Wasn't it Peele himself that said something along those lines? I dunno, made sense to me. :shrug:

Anywho, I will say that Iiked actually getting a long look at the alien. I get the value of obscuring your monster and whatnot, but I think it's fascinating to see other people's take on what an alien could look like. I'm a nerd for that stuff tho.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm all good for symbolism, themes and messages in movies, but also a lot of films seem to think those things are good excuses to have the movie part of it be bland or bad. Nah, sorry, I don't want to sit through two to three hours of a boring movie because the "message" was interesting. Maybe just tweet the message and make a good movie instead.

I'm not gonna read an awfully written book because, like, the themes were cool tho right maaaan. I'm not gonna watch a tv show with dogshit acting and lovely editing and pacing just because "like woah, it's full of symbolism".

I'm not even saying that is Nope, haven't seen it, but too many times I've had people describe/review what sounds like a lovely flick, but they end up saying it's good, because the message or symbolism were good. gently caress that.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I was scared he'd been outed as a crazy or sex pest.

But no, just tepid takes

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I didn't much enjoy US, but did like the underlying idea of "what if something like Hands Across America was used to assault us". (Which, I mean, modern American Christianity and conservatives amirite). The twist with the main character felt like a little something else was needed to really make it work.

Nope was some cool fever dream poo poo. From falling detrius, crazy animal maulings, a downpour of blood, a mini-primer on the evolution of cinema and video, and the changing understanding of the creature, it was really just fun.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

C'mon man.

Either this is bait or you're just bad at watching movies. If anything the symbolism was too heavy handed.

This is like saying Heat is only about bank heists.

Anyways recent Peele is only a few degrees better than a good M Night S movie. I didn't really enjoy watching Nope. The characters were all strange, dialogue was inscrutable, and the whole thing felt like a slog. It kind of defeated the whole idea of commenting on spectacle.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 22, 2023

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
the 'not all men' episode of peele's twilight zone is some actual next level poo poo. an asteroid falls to earth that makes all men's forehead veins pop out and their eyes turn purple and menacing or something and then they all go on a rape and pillage spree, but it turns out that it was purely cosmetic (no actual mind control btw) and they were just using it as an excuse to do what they always wanted to do on masse. it really makes you think

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Get Out was amazing, one of my favorite recent horror movies. Fun concept, great execution, and it perfectly balanced the comedy and the horror.

Us I enjoyed more in theory than in execution. The concept is great and there were moments of really incredible horror in it, but I think it didn't balance the comedy and horror as well, at least for me.

Nope was also amazing, my favorite of his films so far. He found a better balance between comedy and horror, the monster design is incredible, and all of the characters are compelling.

One thing for all 3 movies - they have some incredible character actors in them that really help elevate some of the side characters. As much as Us kinda dragged for me in parts, I loved Tim Heidecker in both his roles, he loving crushed it. And Stephen Root was amazing in Get Out. And, although it's a small part, Keith David brought an incredible amount of gravitas to his part in Nope.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I like Nope a lot and it was a good reminder that the art of the slow burn movie is nearly lost.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
Just watched nope and it owned. 2 for 3 isn't bad. I'll definitely watch the next Jordan Peele movie

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
M Night Shyamalan syndrome, if Get Out was his third movie instead of his first he might be better received for all of his movies.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I've enjoyed all his movies and look forward to his future projects OP.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Pac and Cheese posted:

the 'not all men' episode of peele's twilight zone is some actual next level poo poo. an asteroid falls to earth that makes all men's forehead veins pop out and their eyes turn purple and menacing or something and then they all go on a rape and pillage spree, but it turns out that it was purely cosmetic (no actual mind control btw) and they were just using it as an excuse to do what they always wanted to do on masse. it really makes you think

Makes me think about going 2 the bathroom

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Get Out was boring as gently caress and the guy who played the brother is possibly the most unappealing actor to ever live. If Lil Rel had gotten 500% more screen time the movie would've been infinitely better.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I really like the acting in all of his movies. I think the leads and supporting cast do fantastic jobs. I also think his cinematography is great. The weak plot in Us is honestly forgivable considering everything else was good

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Get Out's general concept really didn't do it for me so I haven't seen it. Us I saw in the theater and thought it was good and quite creepy. Nope I watched at home and it was fine. I liked the concept more than the execution.

I liked Keanu more than any of the above three movies, although maybe that's just saying my opinions on movies are bad.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Poohs Packin posted:

Either this is bait or you're just bad at watching movies. If anything the symbolism was too heavy handed.

This is like saying Heat is only about bank heists.

Anyways recent Peele is only a few degrees better than a good M Night S movie. I didn't really enjoy watching Nope. The characters were all strange, dialogue was inscrutable, and the whole thing felt like a slog. It kind of defeated the whole idea of commenting on spectacle.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. The symbolism was not only stupid and heavyhanded but also extremely shallow and not saying anything new, and they tried to punch you over and over in the face with it because otherwise the movie could have just been a 45 minute long Twilight Zone episode. The TMZ guy or whatever was a huge eyeroll.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8_1cqSFrM

No.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't get why movies can't be blunt, like it's some unforgivable movie sin. Most of Verhoven's work isn't subtle at all and he's made a bunch of great works. Nope knows what it's doing, it's supposed to be a bit funny and repeatedly leans into theatrics and artifice. I found it a lot of fun.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Being blunt can be fine but you also have to have insanely original visuals or characters otherwise it just feels hollow. The coolest scene in Nope was when the people all get digested or whatever and that really creepy scene, which probably could have been used itself for the whole "spectacle" concept (but wasn't), was by far the most interesting part in an otherwise dragging film with garbled character dialogue

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The ape, the barn scene, the 'perfect shot' (which was stunning), the threatening looking fluffy clouds. Maybe the Akira slide was a bit much. I thought it plenty visually interesting.

I liked the cinematographer character a lot.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 22, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Being blunt can be fine but you also have to have insanely original visuals or characters otherwise it just feels hollow. The coolest scene in Nope was when the people all get digested or whatever and that really creepy scene, which probably could have been used itself for the whole "spectacle" concept (but wasn't), was by far the most interesting part in an otherwise dragging film with garbled character dialogue

Outside of the lovely day-for-night shots I thought Nope was visually stunning and gorgeously filmed. I saw it once in theaters and I still have vivid mental images of several scenes. Honestly a bit of ADR and some tweaks to the night shots and Nope is like a 9/10 for me. It gave me amazing Spielberg vibes that I haven't felt since I first saw Raiders as a kid.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

SCheeseman posted:

I don't get why movies can't be blunt, like it's some unforgivable movie sin. Most of Verhoven's work isn't subtle at all and he's made a bunch of great works. Nope knows what it's doing, it's supposed to be a bit funny and repeatedly leans into theatrics and artifice. I found it a lot of fun.

I get that people liked it as a sort of popcorn movie. I just found the tone to be strange, sort of uncanny valley poo poo. Maybe he's just been in Hollywood too long and now he's making movies about film?

Kind of feels like a "Tour Song" in that way.

Verhoeven is in league of his own as a master satirist with an instantly recognisable visual style. Peele isn't in that stratosphere as a film maker.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I really liked Nope, maybe it helped that I saw it in imax. What I find confusing is it seems everyone who talks about the movie calls the creature an alien, but nothing in the movie implies its an alien. The characters in the movie think it's an alien but they think that based on their preconceived notions, all of which turn out to be wrong, so why does it seem like everyone else who watched the movie thought it was an alien? Did I miss something?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SCheeseman posted:

Maybe the Akira slide was a bit much. I thought it plenty visually interesting.

I was watching some random interview about Nope with Jordan Peele where the interviewer said "I gotta talk about the Akira slide" and Peele started giggling like a kid and his whole mood changed into this excitement that was really infectious, like "you gotta have the Akira slide, I HAD to have it" and it was somehow really wholesome

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I enjoyed get out enough I guess until the bit where it does the whole being john malkovich reveal. Then I slowly lost my poo poo while reading about it online. No one mentioned being john malkovich. No critics, interviews, peele, no one. It even has catherine keener. It confused me greatly. Is it just that it's so obvious it's not worth mentioning?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Us was alright I guess

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
i agree OP mr peele fall totally fall off

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Get Out > Nope > Us.

But Us isnt even bad.

Putting aside symbolism and whether or not it had a deep message or whatever I just really liked the menace of that loving ship darting around the sky like a space-cryptid Jaws. Walked home in the dark across some open fields after watching and it made clouds feel spooky.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

M Night Shyamalan syndrome, if Get Out was his third movie instead of his first he might be better received for all of his movies.
Nope - hold that thought and call us all back when Peele does a movie with as loving ridiculous of an ending as The Village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Three paragraphs to say “i have not seen the movie and have nothing to add”