Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Crazy Ted posted:

Nope - hold that thought and call us all back when Peele does a movie with as loving ridiculous of an ending as The Village.

swear to god the village's plot was ripped off from some YA novel i never read but recognized the story from the blurb in a Scholastic Book Order catalog from like 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I really liked Nope, maybe it helped that I saw it in imax. What I find confusing is it seems everyone who talks about the movie calls the creature an alien, but nothing in the movie implies its an alien. The characters in the movie think it's an alien but they think that based on their preconceived notions, all of which turn out to be wrong, so why does it seem like everyone else who watched the movie thought it was an alien? Did I miss something?

Yeah nothing indicated it was an alien, they just killed a super-endangered Earth species.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

swear to god the village's plot was ripped off from some YA novel i never read but recognized the story from the blurb in a Scholastic Book Order catalog from like 1998

It was Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Her publishers accused M. Night of plagiarism, no idea why they didn't go forward with a suit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah nothing indicated it was an alien, they just killed a super-endangered Earth species.

I think we all assumed it was an alien just because it looked like a UFO, or what we have expected a UFO to look like.

I actually named one of my snakes after the alien.

The only part of us I disliked was the full-on explanation at the end that was full of so many holes. It didn't make any sense. If we had seen something where the clones took over the compound, killing off any of the researchers, or maybe red as a child trying to get their attention, that would have been a lot better. Hell, even in the beginning if it hadn't jolted right off from the mirror and instead we saw the little girl running out of the fun house freaking out. That would have been a good way to start the movie as opposed to just the flash and then going straight to the rabbits.

That said, that movie was absolutely terrifying and every time I hear the beach boys now I think of that scene.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Cowslips Warren posted:

and how OJ treats everyone like he does when training horses: eye gestures, hand gestures, vocal clicks.
This was the highlight of the movie for me. I love it when a character has a sort of niche skill/knowledge that then helps them when something crazy/supernatural happens.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

I was watching some random interview about Nope with Jordan Peele where the interviewer said "I gotta talk about the Akira slide" and Peele started giggling like a kid and his whole mood changed into this excitement that was really infectious, like "you gotta have the Akira slide, I HAD to have it" and it was somehow really wholesome

I definitely popped off when I saw the Akira slide, I don't think I've seen that often in live-action, and Keke Palmer crushed it in general.

I also loved that the movie just straight-up shifted into a Western version of Jaws as it ran. Gave it a really fun identity.

E: Spelled Keke wrong

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 23, 2023

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Can someone explain to me what the point of the monkey subplot was in Nope? It really seemed gratuitous and didn't fit in with the rest of the movie. Rest of the movie was pretty decent.

I really enjoyed Us until the end where they paused everything and just infodumped for like 10 minutes or some poo poo then it ended.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
crazy amount of racism in here

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Cowman posted:

Can someone explain to me what the point of the monkey subplot was in Nope? It really seemed gratuitous and didn't fit in with the rest of the movie. Rest of the movie was pretty decent.

I really enjoyed Us until the end where they paused everything and just infodumped for like 10 minutes or some poo poo then it ended.

Jupe thinks he has a special connection to non-humans that he can share with the world but really he just misinterprets/anthropomorphizes them and their actions. It is fun to have someone be cocky and misunderstand a threat before having a "poo poo gets real" moment and the movie built up the anticipation to it pretty well imo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowman posted:

Jupe serves as a very effective foil to OJ and Co. OJ embodies reverence and respect for animals/nature, and despite his incredible skill at training horses he never falls prey to delusions of grandeur or heightened self importance. His relationship with the natural world is pragmatic but substantial. Jupe, on the other hand, has removed himself from his relationship with the natural world, seeing value only in its spectacle (and the subsequent profits to be made). Despite his traumatic childhood experience, Jupe lacks fear and respect for the natural world, and ultimately continues the cycle of exploitation that began with his career as a child actor.

The characters carry this theme to it's natural conclusion and we get to see why they met the fates that they did. The Gordy incident is a direct parallel to the primary story that both establishes the theme and foreshadows Jupe's fate.

Chimp subplot was extremely relevant and overall quite dope, IMO.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Peele seems like a guy with a real knack for creating eerie, surreal, arresting images but boy does he have trouble stringing them together into an emotionally resonant whole.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Keke Palmer's character was just straight up grating after about 30 minutes in Nope. I think she played the "annoying little sister" role a bit too hard .

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cosmik Slop posted:

Peele seems like a guy with a real knack for creating eerie, surreal, arresting images but boy does he have trouble stringing them together into an emotionally resonant whole.

Agreed. I think Nope was his most coherent effort by far, and I'm hoping that trend continues because I loving love his style.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I really liked Nope, maybe it helped that I saw it in imax. What I find confusing is it seems everyone who talks about the movie calls the creature an alien, but nothing in the movie implies its an alien. The characters in the movie think it's an alien but they think that based on their preconceived notions, all of which turn out to be wrong, so why does it seem like everyone else who watched the movie thought it was an alien? Did I miss something?

I recall a Peele interview (or maybe it was one of the actors) that tipped off that Nope stood for Not Of Planet Earth.

Then again, maybe it was just fan speculation.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Cosmik Slop posted:

Ridley Scott Syndrome.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Jupe serves as a very effective foil to OJ and Co. OJ embodies reverence and respect for animals/nature, and despite his incredible skill at training horses he never falls prey to delusions of grandeur or heightened self importance. His relationship with the natural world is pragmatic but substantial. Jupe, on the other hand, has removed himself from his relationship with the natural world, seeing value only in its spectacle (and the subsequent profits to be made). Despite his traumatic childhood experience, Jupe lacks fear and respect for the natural world, and ultimately continues the cycle of exploitation that began with his career as a child actor.

The characters carry this theme to it's natural conclusion and we get to see why they met the fates that they did. The Gordy incident is a direct parallel to the primary story that both establishes the theme and foreshadows Jupe's fate.

Chimp subplot was extremely relevant and overall quite dope, IMO.

This very much.

When I started working at a zoo, it was amazing (and it happened to me because who among us doesn't want to feel special, that we Have a Bond with an Animal? how many loving movies do you see about that, or books?) how volunteers shifted from Jupe to OJ if they lasted long enough. My first day as a volunteer, I got bitten by a fennec fox because I was certain we had an understanding: no, the little bastard did not know of this understanding! He barely broke the skin, and I had to get a shot, but it happens to people who think like Jupe. If they learn their lesson, they can at least become half an OJ, where you respect animals and learn that we don't ever really control them. Even domestic animals can kill you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Still baffling how for the Twilight Zone reboot premiere they had Kumail Nanjiani star as a comedian with support from Tracy Morgan, and showrunner Peele was half of one of comedy’s great duos, and it’s somehow an unwatchable 54 minute slog. Like Mike Judge faceplanting with Extract despite having Jason Bateman. The premise was so simple & could see the “twist ending” coming early.

Was interesting later to watch the far superior 80s twilight zone & enjoy how when they had simple ideas they had no problem limiting stories to a refreshing 8 minutes if that’s all the story needed.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I checked out that 80s twilight zone and it's barely watchable.

90s outer limits is way, way better.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cowman posted:

Think of it like the pirate comic in watchmen op

I appreciated that a balloon set off the monkey which directly led to the events of the film and

a balloon was also the undoing of jean jacket

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I checked out that 80s twilight zone and it's barely watchable.

90s outer limits is way, way better.

The 2000's reboot is even worse.

The 80's reboot had good writing but the acting was ok at best. The worst part is the shot on video look. It loving sucks and does make it hard to watch.

The original twilight zone is my favorite show ever and it always bums me out, but never surprises me, when I see revivals fail.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nope was alot of fun. He's on an upward trajectory imo

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Outer limits >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Twilight zone

that intro still gives goosebumps

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Black Mirror => Futurama => Disenchanted

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still baffling how for the Twilight Zone reboot premiere they had Kumail Nanjiani star as a comedian with support from Tracy Morgan, and showrunner Peele was half of one of comedy’s great duos, and it’s somehow an unwatchable 54 minute slog. Like Mike Judge faceplanting with Extract despite having Jason Bateman. The premise was so simple & could see the “twist ending” coming early.

Was interesting later to watch the far superior 80s twilight zone & enjoy how when they had simple ideas they had no problem limiting stories to a refreshing 8 minutes if that’s all the story needed.

Anthology TV shows, especially horror and sci-fi ones, are my favorite thing ever but there's this recent trend towards overbloating them. The same thing happened with Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities - you had a bunch of 22 minute stories stretched out to almost an hour, cutting out any kind of tension or sense of urgency. Black Mirror's guilty of this, too, although less so imho.

I watched about half of the new Twilight Zone and nothing grabbed me. Not even comparing it to the old show, just as its own thing, they take a semi-interesting premise (and sometimes they don't even have that) and then just run it into the ground until you can't wait for the episode to just end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of a problem with streaming is that a lot of shows have really lost track of what pacing is now they don't have to fit everything into increments of 11 minutes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Three paragraphs to say “i have not seen the movie and have nothing to add”

One sentence to admit you're a dummy who can't think about general commentary beep boop only talk about an movie please lol

Edit: read other posts for context it helps

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Syntax, I like your spunk. Do you need a job?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Zeluth posted:

Syntax, I like your spunk. Do you need a job?

Jobs would cut into my posting time and I got all the nuggies I need.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The games we could play ... Oh, well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L47JwR9vDs

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ok thanks for the explanations about the monkey. I just never made the connection but it makes sense now.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I hadn't seen any of his work but Watched Nope last night. It felt original and interesting from the start but definitely warmed up real drat slowly to the action. I'd have trouble putting it in a horror bucket. It's more sci fi to me. I liked that very little gore is shown. I really liked that the organism is shaped like the classic flying saucer and one could surmise that the saucer sightings could have been this thing. I'd definitely watch more of his stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a whole recurring theme even that repeats at least three times with three different animals in the movie. The commercial shoot at the beginning, the Gordy's Home tragedy and the Star Lasso Experience massacre. All in escalating levels of disaster involving a horse, a chimp, and Jean Jacket, where the animal was being used as a source of spectacle by people who didn't treat it properly or respect its boundaries, with that carelessness and arrogance causing the animal to feel threatened and lash out. There's even a whole thing where OJ realises what's going on when he's trying to train the horse to not freak out at its own reflection.

I'm also a big fan of when you get the very first visual glimpse of the flying saucer and you can see where OJ is coming from- the way it moves is wrong for what you'd expect, looking more like it's swimming just above the ground and bending slightly as it flies up over the hill. And at that point you have no idea what it is, a friend of mine actually had a guess of some kind of 'Giger jet', which is a pretty cool idea itself. A few viewers figured out what's going on by trying to logic out why it's acting like it does; trying to be stealthy but in the way an animal does, not a sentient pilot who no matter how alien would probably understand speed and distance are the best way to avoid being identified by humans, not kicking up a distraction and retreating to a nearby hiding spot.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 23, 2023

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
like... if you thought the chimp represents a literal chimp at the end of the movie I get why you don't like it

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Honestly basically all media is in decline right now, music, TV and movies. Basically it's gonna be vertical video tiktoks in a few years with sped up Kidz Bop songs. Enjoy!

naem
May 29, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Honestly basically all media is in decline right now, music, TV and movies. Basically it's gonna be vertical video tiktoks in a few years with sped up Kidz Bop songs. Enjoy!

race to the bottom capitalism in action

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Re-watching the Gordy's home post attack sequence, I almost wonder is the producers insisted on no animal trainer being on site. Possibly no animal trainer/handler even being allowed to talk to any of the actors, just from how all of them react to him before and after the attack. I mean the Dad character literally does what you're never supposed to do, raising your voice, and running from a wild animal. Then there's the issue with balloons in general, all the bright lights, a literal live studio audience, and then the small details like the mom character's necklace looking like teeth which would be an aggressive signal to Gordy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

Re-watching the Gordy's home post attack sequence, I almost wonder is the producers insisted on no animal trainer being on site. Possibly no animal trainer/handler even being allowed to talk to any of the actors, just from how all of them react to him before and after the attack. I mean the Dad character literally does what you're never supposed to do, raising your voice, and running from a wild animal. Then there's the issue with balloons in general, all the bright lights, a literal live studio audience, and then the small details like the mom character's necklace looking like teeth which would be an aggressive signal to Gordy.

Probably, I imagine any animal trainer actually worth a drat wouldn't cooperate with what the producers wanted. The abovementioned commercial shoot drives home how by default animal trainers have to fight to get people to understand the basic rules around animals. (and the implication is without Otis Sr, OJ doesn't have the confidence or the clout to get other humans to listen to him like his dad could) Especially with all those details as you say pretty much pointing to how they did literally everything wrong.

There's been a few theories about the details you can put together from what led to that disaster- it's mentioned that 'Gordy' was just one of multiple chimps that played the character, and possibly they'd been using the one trained for the fist-bump explosion rather than one trained for crowd scenes. Also that it was specifically a birthday episode in the second season they were filming; chimps used in movies and TV are almost always specifically young chimps, which are much more sociable and obedient, but once they hit puberty they start behaving very differently- and become much stronger. Easy to imagine that the producers balked at the idea of swapping out for younger replacement chimps who'd need to be purchased and trained all over again.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
as for animals and interacting with them, look at loving Jupe when it comes to the horses; he's going to feed Lucky to Jean Jacket, has the horse out there, and how does he try to get a trained animal out of a pen? by hissing "Come on! Come on get out! Get out!" and waving his hand. The dude has no idea how to work with animals at all.

OJ doesn't know how to work with people, Em doesn't know how to work with animals like OJ (but unlike Jupe, she respects them and doesn't treat them like props).

Years ago I worked in a small aquarium, and we had a tank of red-bellied piranha. Now they were smart fish, and we worked out a nice system for me cleaning the tank; behind the public area, behind the tank wall, I would knock my knuckles on the rockwork on half of the tank, and they would all swim to the other side for as long as my hand was in the water. And I'd throw in a treat or two after I was done, so we had a small system down. Now, the system would fall apart (and it did) if some rear end in a top hat visitor would see this, and start beating on the aquarium glass and screaming.

This would send the fish into a loving frenzy and they'd jolt all over the place, running into rocks, and my arm, which was in the tank sometimes up to my shoulder. The first time it happened I was frozen and held still. The second time, I held still long enough after several of them smacked their bodies against my arm, to carefully get out of the tank, head out to the public side, and told off the visitors, and kicked them out of the building. I do remember how surprised they were. And some of them were disappointed because they probably were hoping to see some fingers bitten off and bloodshed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nope is great just for the animal stories here alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Toxic Mental posted:

Studios really, genuinely want to replace everything with algorithm generated Content slop that's genuinely worse than this, there's a reason they're whining about the strikes so hard and want to keep streaming numbers secret from everyone