Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i am too dumb to get all the symbolism in nope can someone explain what it was actually about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

git apologist posted:

i am too dumb to get all the symbolism in nope can someone explain what it was actually about

no

sorry

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Studios really, genuinely want to replace everything with algorithm generated Content slop that's genuinely worse than this, there's a reason they're whining about the strikes so hard and want to keep streaming numbers secret from everyone

lol There's some Fall Out Boy song on the radio that is just a remake of We Didn't Start The Fire and I was listening to it on the radio in the car and I was like "there's no new ideas anymore". Social media has genuinely made everything homogenous and bland and just revamps of old poo poo.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

git apologist posted:

It's wrong to eat horses.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Nope needed more aliens in the barn and less flying bedsheet monster imo

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

lol There's some Fall Out Boy song on the radio that is just a remake of We Didn't Start The Fire and I was listening to it on the radio in the car and I was like "there's no new ideas anymore". Social media has genuinely made everything homogenous and bland and just revamps of old poo poo.

There's tons of new and original music, you just won't find it on the radio.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

There's tons of new and original music, you just won't find it on the radio.

this but for all media

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

get out was decent but it was a concept that couldn't miss.

us was awful and nope was mostly just bland.

i don't know why people think he's so great. it seems like since get out was such a good high concept, he's been greenlit as an Idea guy but actually all his other ideas are kinda stupid and his other skills are middling. he wields conflicting tones with more confidence than the vision deserves.

it happens sometimes. a creative success gets smoke blown up their rear end and stops hearing no internally and externally so you get some messy BS. Men from alex garland felt like a similar sort of deal.

but i'd rather these things get made than franchise movies so i'm not really complaining.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 27, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Toxic Mental posted:

Honestly basically all media is in decline right now, music, TV and movies. Basically it's gonna be vertical video tiktoks in a few years with sped up Kidz Bop songs. Enjoy!

i would of agree'd w/ you from 2020 to 2022 but this year alone i think is a turning point. pre strike of course. we got 5 good movies that are unique sure 2 of the ones im talking about are based on previous ip and one is based on a sketch the writers did for like college humor or something but i think we might be turning a corner away from the mass produced crap.

the 5 movies being barbie tmnt the blackening no hard feelings and oppenheimer. im sure im forgetting some to.

i live in rural nc and went to see tmnt in a theater 30mins away and it was loving packed but even more suprising was that they had two theaters of barbie both completely sold out. i wanted to originally see both tmnt and barbie but was unable to see barbie because it was sold out.

snergle fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 27, 2023

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

there is always good poo poo and bad homogenized torrential waves of sludge garbage in every era, just the good stuff is remembered and carried forward and also it seems like a lot more crap now that we can see the dirrhea spigots of everywhere on earth turned to full blast especially with streaming meaning lots of media can be realized without going through the more rigorous filtering it previously had to

everything everywhere all at once is a masterpiece, the menu and marcel the shell weren't mindblowing but they were perfectly good, glass onion rips, uncut gems was actually a good adam sandler movie wtf, I don't watch superhero poo poo but joker and guardians 3 (I didn't even watch the first two) are good in completely different ways and I've heard nothing but good about the new spidermans
these are absolutely not even niche releases by any means, we're in a perfectly good spot and there is the backlog of all of humanitys achievement in every type of media at your fingertips meanwhile, don't get bogged down by the bullshit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

git apologist posted:

The thing is you gotta realise about symbolism is that a lot of the time it's not meant to be some le artistique statement or high-minded allusion but basically a cheeky joke and visual gag. And oftentimes it can be both! That said, there's a lot of particular motifs about filmmaking and cameras; squares are a recurring theme, especially in green, and the creature's eye looks loosely like an old-timey camera. (Also there's the bit where Em is leaning out the window framed right in the middle of the screen, and the green flyers for the Star Lasso Experience)

Eyes are also a big one, what with one of the movie's posters/covers being literally a closeup of a horse's eye, and the themes of mirrors and how many animals treat direct eye contact as a threatening gesture. Like the horses, the chimp, and Jean Jacket all do. And then the flying saucer literally looks like a giant eye from below, and it devours people who look at it. Between that and the crazy burnt-out cameraman who ends up walking into its maw just to get a cool video, the theme isn't too subtle about Hollywood and show business being the art of getting looked at and getting devoured by a ravenous, insatiable machine that always wants more. Also at the end when the creature gets exploded, its body is torn apart into floating strips that look like film.

Basically the overall theme is about how badly show business treats animals, as living props and sources of spectacle to be disposed of on a whim, and the way it treats humans isn't much better. Very timely theme given the strikes.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bro you smoked all the marketing propaganda lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Actually the message is monkeys gonna gently caress you up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i remember a friend telling me he hated NOPE because it was so slow, the monkey made no sense at all, and the alien was dumb looking. I asked him what he thought of Jaws: the movie was slow and boring, the shark looked dumb, and he much preferred Deep Blue Sea because it was action oriented and the sharks hosed people up.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tldr :snoop:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
jean jacket is a stingray except when it's not, then it's a flying pair of stretched out tighty whiteys

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I checked out that 80s twilight zone and it's barely watchable.

90s outer limits is way, way better.

Can you recommend some 90s outer limits? I watched a few when I found them on prime and they were ok but nothing fantastic yet, may not have hit the good ones.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Anthology TV shows, especially horror and sci-fi ones, are my favorite thing ever but there's this recent trend towards overbloating them. The same thing happened with Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities - you had a bunch of 22 minute stories stretched out to almost an hour, cutting out any kind of tension or sense of urgency. Black Mirror's guilty of this, too, although less so imho.

Oh 100%, have you watched Night Visions? Great horror sci-fi anthology (with some skippable eps), a View Through a Window & Patterns are fantastic.

Ugh I was looking forward to Cabinet of Curiosity & it ended up lowering my opinion of Del Toro a notch. Watched the first eps & the interesting ideas were buried under buckets of unneeded blood and violence that took away all the oxygen. Fine have one or two bloodbaths but it’s ok to have one that relies on charm. Didn’t help the characters were one note.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pimpcasso posted:

jean jacket is a stingray except when it's not, then it's a flying pair of stretched out tighty whiteys

It's a mix of stingray, jellyfish, octopus, whale and shark. The form at the end seems implied to be some kind of threat display, making itself look bigger and shaking about but not actually more dangerous. Hence OJ staring it down.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is you gotta realise about symbolism is that a lot of the time it's not meant to be some le artistique statement or high-minded allusion but basically a cheeky joke and visual gag. And oftentimes it can be both! That said, there's a lot of particular motifs about filmmaking and cameras; squares are a recurring theme, especially in green, and the creature's eye looks loosely like an old-timey camera. (Also there's the bit where Em is leaning out the window framed right in the middle of the screen, and the green flyers for the Star Lasso Experience)

Eyes are also a big one, what with one of the movie's posters/covers being literally a closeup of a horse's eye, and the themes of mirrors and how many animals treat direct eye contact as a threatening gesture. Like the horses, the chimp, and Jean Jacket all do. And then the flying saucer literally looks like a giant eye from below, and it devours people who look at it. Between that and the crazy burnt-out cameraman who ends up walking into its maw just to get a cool video, the theme isn't too subtle about Hollywood and show business being the art of getting looked at and getting devoured by a ravenous, insatiable machine that always wants more. Also at the end when the creature gets exploded, its body is torn apart into floating strips that look like film.

Basically the overall theme is about how badly show business treats animals, as living props and sources of spectacle to be disposed of on a whim, and the way it treats humans isn't much better. Very timely theme given the strikes.

cool i dig this *puffs clove cigarette*

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

i remember a friend telling me he hated NOPE because it was so slow, the monkey made no sense at all, and the alien was dumb looking. I asked him what he thought of Jaws: the movie was slow and boring, the shark looked dumb, and he much preferred Deep Blue Sea because it was action oriented and the sharks hosed people up.

this is the anti bougie, anti pretentious lifestyle and i respect it even though I can’t live that way

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wow, you're cool and smart just like Elon Musk

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

snergle posted:

i would of agree'd w/ you from 2020 to 2022 but this year alone i think is a turning point. pre strike of course. we got 5 good movies that are unique sure 2 of the ones im talking about are based on previous ip and one is based on a sketch the writers did for like college humor or something but i think we might be turning a corner away from the mass produced crap.

The upcoming Mattel Cinematic Universe would like a word

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I checked out that 80s twilight zone and it's barely watchable.

90s outer limits is way, way better.

Can you recommend some 90s outer limits? I watched a few when I found them on prime and they were ok but nothing fantastic yet, may not have hit the good ones.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Anthology TV shows, especially horror and sci-fi ones, are my favorite thing ever but there's this recent trend towards overbloating them. The same thing happened with Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities - you had a bunch of 22 minute stories stretched out to almost an hour, cutting out any kind of tension or sense of urgency. Black Mirror's guilty of this, too, although less so imho.

Oh 100%, have you watched Night Visions? Great horror sci-fi anthology (with some skippable eps), a View Through a Window & Patterns are fantastic.

Ugh I was looking forward to Cabinet of Curiosity & it ended up lowering my opinion of Del Toro a notch. Watched the first eps & the interesting ideas were buried under buckets of unneeded blood and violence that took away all the oxygen. Fine have one or two bloodbaths but it’s ok to have one that relies on charm. Didn’t help the characters were one note.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Pimpcasso posted:

Nope needed more aliens in the barn and less flying bedsheet monster imo
The barn aliens were the spookiest part.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Masters of Horror had more misses than hits but Cigarette Burns (Udo Kier!) & Screwfly Solution were excellent.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nope themes and symbolism
I don't understand why people are giving you poo poo about this. It makes perfect sense to me. (not high)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Can we just have a 90 minute compilation of chimps absolutely destroying humans to spend up kidzbop music? Id watch that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For actually good episodes with memorable endings, try:

Dead Man's Switch
The Sentence (Niles from Frasier gets trapped in his own virtual prison)
Tempests
Quality of Mercy and The Light Brigade (some of the most memorable endings in the series imo)

also watch Out of Body where Roz from Frasier is a ghost that can talk to people through T E C H N O L O G Y. Not a good episode but it is very funny. Sadly Frasier, Martin, Daphne and Eddie didn't get episodes

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 28, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Convex posted:

Dead Man's Switch
Tempests
Quality of Mercy and The Light Brigade (some of the most memorable endings in the series imo)

also watch Out of Body where Roz from Frasier is a ghost that can talk to people through T E C H N O L O G Y. Not a good episode but it is very funny

I also recommend The Sand Kings episode written by some guy name George R.R. Martin.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vakal posted:

I also recommend The Sand Kings episode written by some guy name George R.R. Martin.

This goes without saying! I like that Kim Coates is in the first and last ever episodes, but has a complete different role in each.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also if you are in the mood for some "We have the Outer Limits at home!" there's always Stephen King's Nightmare and Dreamscapes series.

It's worth it just for the Small Soldiers Battleground episode

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Guillermo Del Toro series that was on Netflix recently was really good anthology stuff kind of like The Outer Limits.

The Eric Andre one was really good if you're into that kind of slow burn Tarantino-esque poo poo

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Toxic Mental posted:

Honestly basically all media is in decline right now, music, TV and movies. Basically it's gonna be vertical video tiktoks in a few years with sped up Kidz Bop songs. Enjoy!

There's always been garbage media, what are you talking about? Do you think "The Babe Ruth Story" or "My Mother the Car" were good because they were made before 2020?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Convex posted:

Dead Man's Switch
Tempests

also watch Out of Body where Roz from Frasier is a ghost that can talk to people through T E C H N O L O G Y. Not a good episode but it is very funny. Sadly Frasier, Martin, Daphne and Eddie didn't get episodes

Thanks for recs I watched them (except that last one). Those were much better than the other eps I had seen, surprisingly good sci-fi sets for the 90s.

Dead Man’s Switch: great stuff, enjoyed how world almost ended because someone wouldn’t stop playing Super Mario Land. It has a pause button!

The Sentence: my favorite so far, David Hyde Pierce sells the concept well & even when the plot twist is expected it still has impact. The premise reminded me of the Jaunt & that black mirror with John Hamm. was glad it didn’t have a cruel twist & that Pierce wasn’t evil & learned something. It was fun to wonder why the heck a WA state prison would have electric floors & holographic psychiatric but makes sense when Pierce doesn’t know what they are like and expects that.

Tempests: great horror

Quality of Mercy and The Light Brigade: excellent stuff, Robert Patrick really got put through the wringer in 90s tv. at least Tony Soprano stopped with a beating & didn’t take any body parts.

Send more recs if you got ‘em, this show owns

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thanks for recs I watched them (except that last one). Those were much better than the other eps I had seen, surprisingly good sci-fi sets for the 90s.

Dead Man’s Switch: great stuff, enjoyed how world almost ended because someone wouldn’t stop playing Super Mario Land. It has a pause button!

The Sentence: my favorite so far, David Hyde Pierce sells the concept well & even when the plot twist is expected it still has impact. The premise reminded me of the Jaunt & that black mirror with John Hamm. was glad it didn’t have a cruel twist & that Pierce wasn’t evil & learned something. It was fun to wonder why the heck a WA state prison would have electric floors & holographic psychiatric but makes sense when Pierce doesn’t know what they are like and expects that.

Tempests: great horror

Quality of Mercy and The Light Brigade: excellent stuff, Robert Patrick really got put through the wringer in 90s tv. at least Tony Soprano stopped with a beating & didn’t take any body parts.

Send more recs if you got ‘em, this show owns

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed them, here are a few others:

Vakal posted:

The New Breed
Trial By Fire
Deja Vu (yes that is kevin nealon)
Inconstant Moon

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

The Guillermo Del Toro series that was on Netflix recently was really good anthology stuff kind of like The Outer Limits.

The Eric Andre one was really good if you're into that kind of slow burn Tarantino-esque poo poo

it is by Panos Cosmatos who made Beyond The Black Rainbow and Mandy. I was really excited to hear that he made an episode for a Horror Anthology show. I loved it. Peter Weller does an utterly uncanny imitation of David Carradine :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oldstench posted:

I don't understand why people are giving you poo poo about this. It makes perfect sense to me. (not high)

People get weird and stupid about that poo poo especially when they're trying to be normies

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The barn aliens were the spookiest part.

Rather funny given the whole thing they are specifically kids acting as spooky as they can imagine. Seriously, props to their coordination and planning. That said, given the racial themes I wonder if it's a nod to how the KKK dressed up as ghosts to get away with terrorising black people in a way that wouldn't be taken seriously.

There's also a lot of fun hints to things like how Ricky's business is failing, he took over a theme park in the middle of nowhere after the last owners went broke and had been trying and failing to cling to his former child star fame.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rather funny given the whole thing they are specifically kids acting as spooky as they can imagine. Seriously, props to their coordination and planning. That said, given the racial themes I wonder if it's a nod to how the KKK dressed up as ghosts to get away with terrorising black people in a way that wouldn't be taken seriously.

possibly, wouldn't surprise me considering the rest of peele's output, but also the masks are almost identical to the film canisters on the cameras during the sitcom disaster

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People get weird and stupid about that poo poo especially when they're trying to be normies

Edit - I think I see what you are saying post coffee.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Nope was fun, but I'm way too dense to pick up on all the deep symbolism. It was just a fun movie with some UFO/scifi type themes and a chimp that wrecked people in the flashbacks.

Also, that electric motorbike that the TMZ guy had was pretty loving cool.