Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCxJFMh1h8

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is the latest game from Lethal League developers Team Reptile, taking the Jet Set Radio influence shown in previous titles to its natural conclusion with a full fledged spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio Future. As Red, a graffiti tagger who's had his head replaced with a cybernetic prosthetic, you'll run, skate, board, and bike your way around the five boroughs of New Amsterdam, building up your Bomb Rush Crew and aiming to take all five boroughs and become All City, and find out what happened to your head in the process. Much like the game it takes inspiration from, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk boasts an impressive soundtrack of hip hop/techno flavored beats, headlined by several tracks from Hideki Naganuma, the legendary composer behind the Jet Set Radio series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKDfO51Ja4

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is currently out now on Steam and Nintendo Switch, with releases on Playstation and Xbox September 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you ever get a manic DJ to narrate your exploits, and tell everyone to burn their houses down?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Games really good so far, though I could do without the combat. Everything else is solid as heck

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
PSA: Apparently there are some steam cloud save issues, and people have reported losing some progress. The dev is looking into it, but recommends disable steam cloud saves if you're only playing on a single machine.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Okay this is silky smooth on steam deck.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:vince:

https://twitter.com/itmeOasisQuaz/status/1693061861166789097

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Game is good.

A bit on the short side, could've used 1 more big map or 2 small maps
None of the character designs super hit for me, ended up playing Bel in her black outfit for the majority of the game (on skates, of course)

Still owned, no regrets.

e:
POWER TO DA PEOPLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWk6Nj0nxNs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anyone know if this is getting a physical release on PS?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ain't

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Please note that if you've beaten the story, you've maybe seen 60-70% of actual content. There's probably entire sections of the map you haven't seen! And that's not even getting into actual secret areas that people have found in at least two districts.

So even if you're not feeling like 100%ing all the graffiti spots (though you should, figuring out the paths kind of is the gameplay here) make sure to at least go back to collect all the named crew members, their little questlines tend to push you to understand the maps better.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Anyone know if this is getting a physical release on PS?
Not sure whether it'll be physical, but Xbox and Playstation are both getting the game on September 1st.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Could potentially see Limited Run doing a printing down the line, but no plans as of now

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

As a enormous fan of JSR and JSRF, i feel i have to post. im about 7 hours in, going at a pretty relaxed pace, on the 4th chapter right now. Obviously the setting is on point- the characters, environments, graffiti, and sound all got knocked outta the park, each area drawing on the feeling of JSRF's big open areas with lots of nooks and crannies, and the general aura of the city of Tokyo-to is complete alive in New Amsterdam. the game also gives a neat mystery to the region while not making it very intrusive to what you understand of the world or what you're trying to do in game (my favorite, paraphrased, being a character intoning that this is what life is like once we found out what robots can dream of). The story is really more of a focus in this one than the other two, but doesn't feel driven to deeply into the gameplay most of the time; you're still trying to be the best, like no one ever was.

Controls are very similar to the previous two, except now you can walk around on foot in case you wanna set up something without the slip slide momentum from a skateboard or bike. the actual combat is pretty basic, and not very fun, honestly. youre facing the cops because you need to for story reasons or you're trying to punch out of a scrum, not because you want to see what you're capable of or facing a gratifying challenge. escaping them doesn't feel to amazing either; they spawn forever until you lose the heat by switching your color palette, and they come back too fast when youre trying to get sprays onto the enviroment. the actual movement on your wheels of choice is very fun, constantly able to trick and grind and wallride around neat enviroments, while adding manuals to link your comboes feels like an incredibly natural and player friendly move. the levels are great too, slathered in advertising and clean cel shaded near future style. the ui isnt the greatest, as it makes the map a little too small and hard to utilize effectively on your ingame phone you use to change music, take pictures, and get texts.

its much closer to jsrf that jsr- youre exploring large environments with unique pathways to lay down easy to spray tags in impressive places, or setting up infinite trick grinds to win battles against fellow juvies, not learning routes in small arena style city blocks while attempting to link tricky spray comboes to maximize score.

so far im in love. reminds me of bloodstained, continuing a great legacy decades after the first while paying homage to the original by trying to make it as modern and honest as it can be.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Better be able to unlock this little fella like Potts in JSRF

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rear end rear end rear end rear end :yosbutt:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

these ones are already my favorites

can I get a pool ball head too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReptileGames/status/1694354690358595943?s=20

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

something I just discovered by accident: you can kick a cop to flinch them, then jump to launch everyone around you into the air, and then graffiti on them for an instant takedown just like the turrets

this also works on the 3-heat riot cops but you have to kick them from behind, or kick+launch a regular cop standing next to them

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 23, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How do you get up to the elevated train track in Versum Hill?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

If it's the one I'm thinking of, bust past the turnstiles just past the basketball wall that eventually gets knocked down. there's a staircase

there's also someone you can challenge

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also how do I, uh, leave Pyramid Island? I can't jump back over the gate

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm assuming that gate opens again once Devil Theory is beaten, at the latest

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m on the fence about this because I love Jet Set Radio an unreasonable amount, it’s an all timer for me. I just don’t know how much I trust an outside studio to make good on the promise of a sequel to that series in everything but name. On the surface it looks like they pulled off the aesthetic and stuff.

$40 is kinda steep for a blind buy. But I’m tempted. Hoping to see more anecdotes and recommendations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scuba Trooper posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, bust past the turnstiles just past the basketball wall that eventually gets knocked down. there's a staircase

I never checked if those turnstile windows were breakable :saddowns: Thank you.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

man nurse posted:

I’m on the fence about this because I love Jet Set Radio an unreasonable amount, it’s an all timer for me. I just don’t know how much I trust an outside studio to make good on the promise of a sequel to that series in everything but name. On the surface it looks like they pulled off the aesthetic and stuff.

$40 is kinda steep for a blind buy. But I’m tempted. Hoping to see more anecdotes and recommendations.

I already had faith in them from Lethal League / Lethal League Blaze.

It's real good, though the lack of inverted left/right made my initial session feel awful until I readjusted.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

you've made this same worried post a bunch of times. maybe just buy the game that you'll probably love and probably love it. hth

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

man nurse posted:

it's a good game. maybe it won't live up to your memories of JSR, but does it need to? is it not good enough that someone made a game like that game you like, and it's good?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

but hey, maybe more time worry about hypothetical disappointment

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Okay FINE sorry I asked

I'll pick it up once it hits PS5 in a bit. I could use something funky.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

Okay FINE sorry I asked

I'll pick it up once it hits PS5 in a bit. I could use something funky.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

embrace the fear. embrace the funk.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZREn9f0tzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ktn559_mc

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

man nurse posted:

Steam lets you refund a game if you've purchased it within 2 weeks and have less than 2 hours played. Buy it on there, set a timer for like 1h45m, then play and see what you think - you'll probably have a good idea if you'll be into it at that point or not.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

man nurse posted:

As someone who loves JSR and bought the original at launch titled Jet Grind Radio:

Cyberfunk improves on the original in almost every way while only slightly missing the “ooomph” of the original.

The original is actually really painful (control wise) to go back to after playing cyberfunk.

The soundtrack is great.
The graphics are great.
Controls knock the original out of the park.
The presentation needs just a little more polish in my mind (go to example is that the speakers are all stationairy when they should be bumpin like in JSR when DJ Professor K is on the screen)
The combat is the weakest part and the worst I can say is it’s “fine”. Still better than JSR combat.
The Story is also meh but there is a skip button so who cares.

Honestly is the first “spiritual sequel” game I’ve played that I felt should just be part of the main franchise. It’s that good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Having a great time with this game. Despite some occasional navigation issues (which is part of the game, really), it just has so much flow. I love how the exploration, tricking, tagging and combat (barely any of that, frankly) work together to make a real fun experience. The graffiti is gorgeous, the soundtrack is superb (although I do wish there were about ten or twenty more songs), and the gameplay is solid.

And I'm not even a Jet Set Radio fan, never played it before even though I happened to own a Dreamcast when I was a kid (not sure how that happened).

Looks like I'm nearing the end, just fought the final boss but he ran away so I'm guessing the actual finale is coming soon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Combat improves dramatically once you discover that kick, jump is a launcher that sets up a high damage area spraypaint. I will fault the game for not correctly telling you this though.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 24, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The graffiti system in BRC is a really good middle ground between JGR and JSRF and I appreciate that a lot

What I’d really love right now is a steam port of JSRF, though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sockser posted:

What I’d really love right now is a steam port of JSRF, though

:same:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's music rights holding that back, particularly the Latch Bros tracks, since their label kinda went under before the original game even came out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

7c Nickel posted:

Combat improves dramatically once you discover that kick, jump is a launcher that sets up a high damage area spraypaint. I will fault the game for not correctly telling you this though.

Combat also improves once you realize cops only exist to encourage you to keep moving, especially once they get guns - just don't engage with em and keep grinding, maybe knock out a turret or two if you feel like you need to.