Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The only thing worth fighting if you're not forced to is turrets
Because turrets will gently caress up your jumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Trying to think of a good way to explain it and failed; I love the OST but I liked how the original JSR had more rap and some metal in the OST to break things up (I think some tracks were just for the US release).

There was a lot of Hideki Naganuma, but then you do the US flashback and there's Cold/Professional Murder Music/Rob Zombie, and there's a few Jurassic 5 tracks.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CodfishCartographer posted:

Combat also improves once you realize cops only exist to encourage you to keep moving, especially once they get guns - just don't engage with em and keep grinding, maybe knock out a turret or two if you feel like you need to.

Yeah that's exactly how I played, fighting them directly is completely pointless unless it's a boss battle. But I did kind of enjoy the extra element that a police chase involved as I went around finding tag spots, and occasionally I'd take out the turrets.

Beat the game yesterday, big fan. I like that it wasn't too long, I don't have infinite time these days and it's satisfying to finish a game in probably under ten hours.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you liked a particular gang's style, go back to their old turf

one of them will be riding around and you can challenge them to beat their high score & recruit them

I have a pool ball boy :poolgirl: now to see if I can recruit one of the oldheads somehow

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hwurmp posted:

if you like a particular gang's style, go back to their old turf after you beat them

one of them will be riding around and you can challenge them to beat their high score & recruit them

I have a pool ball boy :poolgirl: now to see if I can recruit one of the oldheads somehow

That sounds kinda fun, actually.

Also there's something I was wondering about. On the oil platform there is a series of massive wind turbines which you can grind on to reach a tiny little platform in the ocean. I went there during the mission, I think there was a pipe or something at the end but basically nothing happened. It seemed like there was supposed to be something there, anyone know about that?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Hwurmp posted:

now to see if I can recruit one of the oldheads somehow

You can, by bombing all graffiti spots in town.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 25, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

Is this something you can only do after beating the game?

And it makes sense, as in previous games you could skate around as basically any character that had a rigged model lol.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is this something you can only do after beating the game?

possibly, I didn't check before

Lichtenstein posted:

You can, by bombing all graffiti spots in town.

:hellyeah:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

A character recruitment guide would be nice to have but I expect that will take a week or two

I l've already recruited two optional non-story characters I stumbled on in territory I'd already claimed but returned to for whatever reason.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Sockser posted:

The only thing worth fighting if you're not forced to is turrets
Because turrets will gently caress up your jumps

I've found a couple of graffiti spots and pickups that could only be reached by jumping off a disabled turret so there's some benefit to building up heat once in a while.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

sudonim posted:

A character recruitment guide would be nice to have but I expect that will take a week or two

There's plenty of them online already.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

sudonim posted:

There’s been one in the steam guides section since launch day

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I got to stop underestimating the internet

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AH3_FqSITQ

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

I'm assuming that gate opens again once Devil Theory is beaten, at the latest

the Pyramid Island gate does not open, but you can just kick-jump over it

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

i will buy this game twice

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdnX7K7A9k8

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Anyone figure out how to hit all of the high-five guys in the open part of millennium square, the ones that aren't near any rails? They're too far apart to get with one manual.

I expect there's a video guide for this but I figure I would encounter a spoiler looking for it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sudonim posted:

Anyone figure out how to hit all of the high-five guys in the open part of millennium square, the ones that aren't near any rails? They're too far apart to get with one manual.

I expect there's a video guide for this but I figure I would encounter a spoiler looking for it

The game tells you this later on, but you can hit the boost & trick buttons at the same time to do a boost trick, using up some boost to score a bunch of points, get extra slide distance and keep your combo going.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 26, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Versum Hill Bazaar has a spot where you can trick your way into the loving backrooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjosDeOmCFQ

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Play posted:

Yeah that's exactly how I played, fighting them directly is completely pointless unless it's a boss battle. But I did kind of enjoy the extra element that a police chase involved as I went around finding tag spots, and occasionally I'd take out the turrets.

Beat the game yesterday, big fan. I like that it wasn't too long, I don't have infinite time these days and it's satisfying to finish a game in probably under ten hours.

Just beat it myself and after revisiting the original Jet Grind Radio before playing this game…

BRC is the best JSR game to date. I have issues with it in terms of missing some additional sparks/animations and the DJ narrator, but overall it’s just better gameplay-wise than the previous JSR games. The music is great too. I still feel the original JSR has the best soundtrack overall but BRC is no slouch in the tracks department.

Team Reptile did what sega couldn’t (and likely shouldn’t).

I can’t praise this game enough. It managed to surpass the originals.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Versum Hill Bazaar has a spot where you can trick your way into the loving backrooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjosDeOmCFQ

"Oh, alright, just a weird little debug zone that got left in the game"
"..."
"what"
"WHAT"

"FUCKIN WHAT"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The game is out on PS and Xbox today, and also a new patch on Steam

quote:

Additions

Added Micro Boy mobile game to the flip phone apps
Added a cypher spot to the Hideout
Added Knxwledge - hwbouths to the Bomb Rush Cyberfunk Soundtrack
Added album art to the Bomb Rush Cyberfunk Soundtrack
Added Paul Koster to Environment Artists in Credits
Added Localization teams to Credits
Added Benni the taxi driver's missing voice in taxi menu related cutscenes
Added OpenGL Core backend to Windows build
Added support for changing the movement controls and phone movement controls
Added a more explicit boost gate door to the intro of the chapter 3 dream

Fixes

Fixed the transition from Versum Hill to Millennium Square sometimes soft locking
Fixed combo multipliers not resetting when entering a Robo-post mid combo
Fixed certain building edges in Mataan considered safe to respawn on
Fixed the police heat sensitivity being overly high in chapter 6
Moved garage unlocks to be one chapter earlier so discovered movestyle colorways can be used earlier
Fixed getting REP for redoing a graffiti spot after another crew has gone over it again
Fixed movestyle garages not working when playing as the FRANKS
Fixed a graffiti spot on a high billboard in Brink Terminal that did not save
Graffiti at the end of races no longer disappear upon reload
Completed Combat Encounters are not set as REP target anymore
Fixed Felix's last 2 outfits unlocking before finding the collectables for them
Fixed a lot of faulty grind lines that were breaking combos
Fixed many issues with missing colliders in the environment
Fixed Nice achievement now also works with BMX and Inline Skates
Fixed the artist and title names on several small graffiti pieces
Fixed VSYNC setting getting saved incorrectly
Players should no longer be locked out of boss battle environments when they fall out of the level
Oldhead, Base and Jay show correct number of outfits in character select
Players should no longer be able to fall out of the chapter 5 dream intro
Map on phone should no longer show graffiti spots that are not yet available
Fixed Rise’s second challenge activating before the first challenge is completed
The game no longer halts execution when the game does not have focus
Increased speed at which you can skip a cutscene
Ensured player loads into the right scene after a crash during scene changes so that cutscenes and character/movestyles/phone app unlocks are not missed by any chance
Shader change for certain VFX used by enemies including turrets that caused crashes for certain players on older hardware

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

Fixed Nice achievement now also works with BMX and Inline Skates

:69snypa:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Picked it up on PS5. I’m as far as arriving at and tagging up Millennium Square.

I would describe the time I’m having with it as legit. Neat even. You can nitpick little things, like maybe the level layouts are too open and not as like, heavy with tight lines compared to JSR but you do also seem to have a little more agency in movement and tricks.

I appreciate that it feels how you would hope it would while also trying to do a bit of its own thing and expand on ideas. Overall, I’d say this is a success and nicely scratches the JSR itch. It avoids irritations from those games while approximating the feel and being a little bit of its own thing.

Most importantly, it’s funky.

rear end. rear end. rear end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvroNdPCwlM

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m in the mall now. Really liking this.

Side note, getting up that sequence of billboards surrounding the tall tower in Millennium Square to get the optional grafitti spot and collectible was loving jank as hell lol. Now we’re playing JSR

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

man nurse posted:

I’m in the mall now. Really liking this.

Side note, getting up that sequence of billboards surrounding the tall tower in Millennium Square to get the optional grafitti spot and collectible was loving jank as hell lol. Now we’re playing JSR

Was that the one where you have to jump on some ductwork to get on a walkway roof? Because I had some flashbacks to river city ransom having to jump up on basket ball hoops to progress from that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TIL if you have some boost, you can boost right into the shield cops then jump & spray without having to worry about their shield at all

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Am I soft locked out of getting graffiti spots that require you to bounce off of a turret if I’ve already hit all the other reachable graffiti spots in an area? I don’t know how else you can gain wanted levels besides tagging.

I finished the game today. It was awesome. I was prepared to be disappointed as a JSR diehard and walked away very satisfied and impressed. They nailed it. Best we’re ever likely to get.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse posted:

Am I soft locked out of getting graffiti spots that require you to bounce off of a turret if I’ve already hit all the other reachable graffiti spots in an area? I don’t know how else you can gain wanted levels besides tagging.

I finished the game today. It was awesome. I was prepared to be disappointed as a JSR diehard and walked away very satisfied and impressed. They nailed it. Best we’re ever likely to get.

Also I’m an idiot and forgot you can tag over stuff you’ve already hit. Never mind.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

game got such a sick loving soundtrack

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Do more tracks unlock the further in you go? Only I'm finding the number of them pretty small and repetitive so far, they loop so darn quick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

OST has the same number of tracks as JSR & JSRF, with a longer runtime than either, and yeah I think tracks also unlock in secret rooms.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

simply unable to attain sufficiency

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's just that the level mixtapes are a bit too short

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
everybody lauding this game, can I ask you all what you think of a couple things that haven't been touched on yet?

i loved jsr and was OK with jsrf, but the gameplay was a means to a vibe for me. so it's great hearing they've tweaked mechanics to be smoother, but I kinda played JSR cause I wanted to inhabit a crazy tokyo full of graf gangs that felt realer than it should have.

- character design - i think the original JSR had really memorable characters (aesthetically and with the brief little bits you got of the gang/rival gangs/onishima etc) and everything i've seen of this is like... all faceless garam clones. I dunno, first impression. are the characters as generic (in comparison) as it seems from press and trailers etc?
- city character. you know what i'm talking about. the original JSR felt like (and in some cases was) real parts of tokyo and nyc just skateified. JSRF made it more of a roller coaster platformer type playground enabling crazy jumps and speeds that made you less like a kid writing graf and running from cops and more like a superhero, so i felt like JSRF tokyo-to had less personality. what's BRC like?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

simply unable to attain sufficiency

simp un to gain suff

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

everybody lauding this game, can I ask you all what you think of a couple things that haven't been touched on yet?

i loved jsr and was OK with jsrf, but the gameplay was a means to a vibe for me. so it's great hearing they've tweaked mechanics to be smoother, but I kinda played JSR cause I wanted to inhabit a crazy tokyo full of graf gangs that felt realer than it should have.

- character design - i think the original JSR had really memorable characters (aesthetically and with the brief little bits you got of the gang/rival gangs/onishima etc) and everything i've seen of this is like... all faceless garam clones. I dunno, first impression. are the characters as generic (in comparison) as it seems from press and trailers etc?
- city character. you know what i'm talking about. the original JSR felt like (and in some cases was) real parts of tokyo and nyc just skateified. JSRF made it more of a roller coaster platformer type playground enabling crazy jumps and speeds that made you less like a kid writing graf and running from cops and more like a superhero, so i felt like JSRF tokyo-to had less personality. what's BRC like?

Character Design: I can't speak much for the visual designs, as that tends to be more of a personal preference sorta thing. I enjoyed them well enough, but I do think the average is weaker overall than JSR/F. The core cast of characters feels strong design-wise, though the gangs and recruitable characters can be hit or miss. Love DOT.EXE's design, whereas Eclipse just feels like AI-generated JSR characters. Writing-wise I actually feel the game is stronger than either of its predecessors, with the main characters all having a ton more personality and development than most anyone outside of DJ Professor K from the originals. I couldn't tell you hardly anything about Gum's character or Mew's character, but I could describe Bel's character quite easily. That being said, characters have much fewer unique animations compared to JSRF, so despite the stronger writing they don't express their personalities as well during gameplay itself.

City Character: I'd say it's more Future than JSR, though it is a middleground. Visually most areas are more similar to JSR, being relatively grounded in reality, but the layouts are much more JSRF - more about finding the optimal way to string together near-infinite combos in a large playground, rather than trying to find infinite / long combos at all in a smaller and enclosed area. The new grinding mechanics encourage players to spread out over the level and use as many grind rails / wall rides as possible though, so you actually kind of sort of get the JSR feeling of "okay, I can go from this rail to that rail to that wall to that other rail..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fabricated posted:

Trying to think of a good way to explain it and failed; I love the OST but I liked how the original JSR had more rap and some metal in the OST to break things up (I think some tracks were just for the US release).

There was a lot of Hideki Naganuma, but then you do the US flashback and there's Cold/Professional Murder Music/Rob Zombie, and there's a few Jurassic 5 tracks.

Well good news, there's already a radio mod out that's really easy to set up, and you can add any track you want to the game. It doesn't overwrite anything, but it does seem to bug out when you go to new areas, making you hit F1 to reload your custom tracks. I think that's mostly just down to how the game's soundtrack works, tracks are area specific I think?

I added all my favorites from JSR and JSRF, but I'm stuck on what else to add. It's cool though that I can add anything I want, if I'm ever listening to a track and think, "drat, that's perfect for BRC".