Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you're looking for more music, 2mello released two albums that are directly inspired by JSR music - they even contributed a song to BRC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Post game question-

i know you can get the rival gangs recruited, do you also get access to the sprays? the eclipse ones are so sick

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I wish the game was more like JSR instead of Future 😔

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

goblin week posted:

this is what i'm saying

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the sequel will to BRCF will be Bomb Rush Steamfunk

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
This is out on Geforce Now as of Thursday

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

goblin week posted:

Counterpoint, I never got to play Future so now I can :v:

Game is awesome, I jumped in just a bit ago to unlock another crew member and just skating around aimlessly is fun.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Just picked this up today since I'm a huge JSR fan and I'm excited to see this game in action because I've heard nothing but good things. So far I've only done the beginning police station breakout and a little bit of the Franks territory. The aesthetics are killer and the controls are definitely easier to handle than the more inertia driven movement of JSRF. Kind of curious to see what combat is like deeper in the game, the battle during the breakout was a little wonky to me. I've got a ton of games I'm bouncing between so I'll probably just make incremental progress here and there.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The combat always remains wonky. But thats largely intentional. The game wants you to be constantly moving and you're far more mobile that any enemy the game throws at you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The only thing I kinda miss is just being able to coast a bit, for what it's worth the grind heavy gameplay is super fun and well executed but it was fun to just roll down a hill in JSR and feel like you were sort of out of control to a degree. I think they've largely removed trip-ups from the mix here which cuts down on frustration but also cuts down on some of the sense of danger that was once a part of the experience. Interesting to see what design points they latched on to and which ones they sidelined. Game is really good and honestly there's no reason why it should be this good so many years removed from its source inspiration, except that the devs really cared about the details.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I get the feeling I'll really come to appreciate how this game plays in contrast the further I go. It's much easier to make slighter movements with greater precision, which I feel like can make more complex platforming really fun to do. It's also just nice to be able to move in a direction without hard turning into a pit in the Sky Scraper District.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The best way to fight is to launch cops into the air by kicking & then jumping, or boosting into them & then jumping if they're armored. While they're in the air, you can tag them for an instant group takedown.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Is hotswapping between bike/skate/board a mod?

edit: found a comment that suggests yes it is

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Just cleared the Franks Crew Battle and got started on Millennium Square. I really dug the dream sequence, I love platforming segments that have constant and rapid mix ups that make you use every tool in your arsenal.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh, yeah, the dream platforming stages have some wild level design. An unexpected surprise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

faintly hoping for some Moonrush DLC that's a whole trippy rear end dream-style city block to trick & bomb on

crew battles with grey aliens

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All I wanna say is those of you who played the US version of JSR missed out on an incredibly cool track by Feature Cast called 'Recipe for the Perfect Afro' which was and still is a vibe. What I loved most about Jet Set (and indeed BRC) is hearing stuff I don't already know so getting Dragula while kinda cool was like I've played this to death already.

https://youtu.be/yLZ_emA486U?si=x1KB5SvqP6dzDksA

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Made some progress on the Eclipse portion of the game, got up to the point where Solace gets hauled off and police snipers are deployed. Also screwed around in the previous areas and found some taxi signs and maps, plus started interacting with what I’m guessing are potential BRC recruits. I really like the character swapping locations, I always love it when basic mechanics get a little bit of personal flare like that. Do the characters in this game have different attributes, or is just a matter of aesthetics?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aesthetics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The only thing I actively dislike so far is the screen flashing when throwing up a tag. poo poo gave me a migraine the other night.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It took me an embarrasingly long amount of time to realize each tag had specific analog patterns instead of being random or choosing which one is always a given size. Being able to choose your tags with the correct pattern is a neat idea, but I’m not sure how I feel about the mechanic as a whole. The analog patterns in the original JSR existed alongside the more arcadey score attack nature of the game which rewarded you for performing them well, but in this game mostly what it does is make tagging while doing grinds and wall rides a little pace breaking and slow while not really doing much for you if you perform them quick and seamlessly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CullenDaGaDee posted:

It took me an embarrasingly long amount of time to realize each tag had specific analog patterns instead of being random or choosing which one is always a given size. Being able to choose your tags with the correct pattern is a neat idea, but I’m not sure how I feel about the mechanic as a whole. The analog patterns in the original JSR existed alongside the more arcadey score attack nature of the game which rewarded you for performing them well, but in this game mostly what it does is make tagging while doing grinds and wall rides a little pace breaking and slow while not really doing much for you if you perform them quick and seamlessly.

There's a teensy bit of score attack to them if you're aiming for as high a score as possible, as (spoilers for details about the scoring mechanics) every new piece of grafitti you use in a combo adds to the multiplier, encouraging you to mix up which tags you use even on tag spots of the same size.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Yeah, I think the tagging in this game is not very good. The small tags interrupt the flow of grinding while the large tags require no skill at all, just mashing the stick in random directions. The game is really great otherwise but they dumbed down the original systems too much in this area.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah it kinda feels like they wanted to bridge the gap between JSR's stick based tagging and JSRF's "just hold the trigger" and it's an unhappy medium

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's mostly fine because the game is far more Tony Hawk like in terms of gameplay than either of the previous games, not really a bad thing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My only real complaints with the tags are first, that if there's a tag you really like it can be hard to memorize the pattern to make it and second, the small tags don't need to have an animation when you complete them. Like you guys previously mentioned, it breaks the flow of grinding. In JSR you could just pop those small tags off one after the other while you grind, in BRC you're stuck having to watch a two-second animation every. Single. Time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I really wish the small tags dropped the animation. Feels cool at first but it quickly wears out its welcome.

Overall I think the tag system is a good middle-ground between JSR's quick time events and Future's button mashing. Being able to choose your tag on the fly is a great choice, too. I am sad that there's no create-a-tag system, though I guess you could in theory just replace images on your hard drive if you're on PC.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReptileGames/status/1702001003090923617?t=iQW5zaWot-IuUeNSv7luYQ&s=19

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

meatfunk

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Made a bit more progress on the game last night, up to the reveal about Red's Cyberhead and tracking down the Flesh Prince. I'm kind of surprised how out of the way most of the recruitable characters are, I had met a couple but Vinyl was the first new character I formally got and I recruited Mesh shortly after. I guess it doesn't matter too much since they all play the same, but it's a definite contrast to both JSR games where you got new people to play with constantly. Glad I finally got the taxi for a form of fast travel, even if it is a little cumbersome needing to make your way to the taxi stand. I also have a good understanding of how the game works now and have been having a blast going through the secret or off the beaten path areas.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Made a bit more progress on the game last night, up to the reveal about Red's Cyberhead and tracking down the Flesh Prince. I'm kind of surprised how out of the way most of the recruitable characters are, I had met a couple but Vinyl was the first new character I formally got and I recruited Mesh shortly after. I guess it doesn't matter too much since they all play the same, but it's a definite contrast to both JSR games where you got new people to play with constantly. Glad I finally got the taxi for a form of fast travel, even if it is a little cumbersome needing to make your way to the taxi stand. I also have a good understanding of how the game works now and have been having a blast going through the secret or off the beaten path areas.

I got the dancing girl in the mall, she was a goddamn pain in the rear end let me tell you, and her character soundbites aren't even that good :mad:

Vinyl kicks rear end tho

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Just finished up the Devil's Theory crew battle, digging the chaotic layout of Pyramid Island. I do kind of dislike having progression of exploring it stopped by story segments but I suppose that was true of earlier areas and they were just smaller. I've also recruited all the characters up to this point, and I'd say Rise is my favorite right now. Not that it matters too much since everyone plays the same. I do find it a bit curious they have those gates that require a BMX to open, but don't have similar locks for Inlines and Boards. I guess it makes for less forced switching but it does make me wonder if they planned to have more of that at some point in development.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I do find it a bit curious they have those gates that require a BMX to open, but don't have similar locks for Inlines and Boards.

:ssh: they do

skateboards: special fire hydrants that corkscrew straight upwards if you grind on them
skates: you can break plate glass floors by sliding on them with skates on

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 16, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

skateboards: special fire hydrants that corkscrew straight upwards if you grind on them

:aaaaa:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Hwurmp posted:

Alright, THAT makes more sense. I had been noticing some secrets tucked away in those situations and I had a serious head scratching moment on how to get those. I guess those are just way less intuitive to me than a shutter that has a picture of a bike on it lol.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Just beat the game last night. I felt the conclusion was a little rushed (no pun intended) but the final boss was definitely a spectacle and the story ended on a pretty cool note. Rounding up 100% completion now, I've completed the tags and trick goals for the Hideout, Versum Hill and Millennium Square so far, with all the tags done in Brink Terminal as well. Also have to round up all the bonus characters, naturally. I actually had my score attempt for Versum Hill interrupted because I blundered into the cutscene for one of them while I was attempting to build a combo.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Beat the game this weekend, and have just been idling time away cruising around looking for all the little secrets and nicknacks that I've missed The underground Old Amsterdam secret in the Versum Hills shopping center was stupid cool.

What I'd love to see is some kind of Luigi's-Balloon -Challenge-esque multiplayer component - either a score combo or tag version. Set a starting point, then a 30s time limit and to set your tag.

Even better would be some kind of character customizer, but I've been playing too much AC6 and I've been spoiled.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

New patch a few days ago. No notes yet, but there are a ton of nice improvements.

- Map now displays taxi signs, toilets, & dance pads
- Music loop & shuffle options
- Pause menu shows collectible counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Nice they're rolling out some QoL features. To be honest, I feel it's pretty silly the taxi system just isn't something you use via the phone, but making the stands easier to find on the map is a good step in making it a more sensible fast travel system. (Now if they can just make it in an interactable instead of needing to dance in front of it, it won't be a hassle to use it under heat)