Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
First of all, I want to thank you for this LP: I legit went and go through the current process of making funds available on my PS3 to buy Arc 1&2 because it made me remember how much I loved those games.

Also: re: Arc the anime: I would concur with your feelings on it. I wasn't expecting a 1/1 representation of a extremely long jRPG in a 26 episode anime, but the Mariel thing plus yeeting all the canon villains offscreen in favor of some gary stu named Clive did not sit well with me and I ended my watch of it at this point as well. I did like they made Shu/Shante official but that's all the credit I'll give it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Miketopus posted:

Thank you for the thank you!

Somehow I completely forgot about Clive in the anime. I guess he was truly unforgettable. They also shipped Elc and Lieza more closely than the game did, I think, but mostly because Elc had more emotions than :geno: or :argh: in the anime. That might be another thing I did like better: in general Elc felt a bit more like a believable character.

I've found the PS3 is actually a pretty good way of running semi-legit Playstation 1 and 2 games when I don't feel like being spoiled by Duckstation. I have the Resident Evils on there, as well as the Fatal Frames and a few RPGs like Xenogears and such. It's good when you want something pretty close to the original with better load times, but you don't want to tempt yourself with save states and such.

I'm also of the possibly unpopular opinion that most of the best Tales Of games came out for PS3.

I mean, the thing about Clive in the anime is, what he is doing could literally be filled by existing canon villains. Have "Clive" be Gallarno (or Andel) and, BAM, you (Elc) and Arc both have a reason to confront him, leading to the inevitable team up. BUT NO, we gotta have this gary stu for reasons??