Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
Wow, the irony is amazing: the old Syrg and Wanton Spoon "Arc the Lad" LP helped me become interested in SA when I discovered it in the archives years ago, and now when I finally joined the forum proper, I discover a new LP planning to go through the entire collection!

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one!

Sadly, I've never played Arc the Lad, and doubt I'll ever have the time/energy to now. So the LP is of great interest to me as my surrogate playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
Honestly, I wish I'd have known about it when it first came out. While the first game seems to have problems, they're not anything I wouldn't have overcome. And the second game is sounding pretty awesome with its "bounty/job" gimmick and weapon leveling system! I could see it becoming one I'd have played back in the day.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
Nah, his last post was the beginning of this month, which tracks. I've done some light vide editing before, so know it takes a LOT of effort to review recorded footage and pull good stuff...and that's assuming he didn't have to do re-shoots. All that on top of playing the game itself! So it's gonna take time for him to post the next update.

Plus, it IS the holiday season, so we're probably not gonna get another post until next month, at the earliest.

Just gotta be patient.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
Dude, please don't rush! As I said, it's the holidays; if you want to push to January, that's perfectly fine.

Getting back on topic a bit, a question: As you upgrade weapons, do certain ones unlock special attacks?

I know you said that they get upgraded to more powerful variants and that you can attach added effects to their regular attacks, but was wondering if they go whole hog and, say, have an Assassin Dagger give you a "Backstab" special ability when equipped?

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
I can just imagine Elc and Co finally catching up to Arc and having a showdown between Old v New.

And then, just as Elc moves to deliver the killing blow, Arc rips off his face mask to reveal...!

Not-Arc: "Your first wasn't Arc! It was me, P.B.!"

Elc/Miketopus: "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU~!" :fuckoff:

Xandor TikRoth posted:

Man, finding that lost kid is SUCH bullshit! No indication that you've got the wrong one until you bring him to the old guy. What a crock of poo poo.

Wow, that REALLY sucks, yeah. No indication at all, you just have to guess at it?

darkmage0707077 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 14, 2024

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
Sickness and work can suck my balls through a straw, drat it.

Oh, good, Dex is getting in on the nagging action. I can't wait for the inevitable mismatched buddy cop movie with P.B.

He was a poor street wizard; and he was a snobbish millionaire! Together, they are:

The Bounty Naggers! :buddy: :evilbuddy:

Elc: "Every where I go, these guys follow! They won't stop nagging me! It's driving me insane! CURSE YOU, BOUNTY NAGGERS! :argh:"

...On a more serious note, props to the game for actually giving the heroes proper motivation for joining on as a rag-tag group of misfits beyond just "Adventure FUN!" or "Gotta save the world for the millionth time in JRPGs!" I like that the writers actually tried to give motivations to these people for once.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
And work doubles my hours so I barely have time for anything anymore!

Holy gently caress, poor Mariel! At least she had dignity in the game, though. Even got a bit of a heroic sendoff, too.

And it'll be rather interesting to see Elc's reaction to being saved by his supposed nemesis. Hopefully the game doesn't give that plot point up TOO quickly.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
:eek:

Kinda nervous to see it now.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
Meanwhile in Elc's/Miketopus's dreams...

Chongara: "You make mistakes of big time when you disrespecting Chongara! So finding the new party I have! And much respecting of powers of mine you shall gain from new friends of beatings!"

Elc/Miketopus: "What do you me-...oh no...NO!"

P.B: "That's right-"

Dex: "-it menas-"

Three Amigos: "-WE'RE BACK IN THE SADDLE, BABY!" :buddy: :evilbuddy: :haw:

Elc/Miketopus: "NOOOOOOOOOooooo~!" :suicide:

Seriously, though, that kinda sucks that Elc's out of action for a while. It makes sense for him to be comatose from the trauma of what he experienced, but him being out of the story loop for too long might screw with the narrative flow a bit.

Also, starting to get a little confused on the antagonist side. Sure, yeah, their goal is "take over the world", but who is ultimately in charge of who and what? Is it Gallarno? Andel? Some third antagonist we haven't seen yet? Arc's father? Usually, one villain is ultimately the BBEG with the others being "mere pawns" in the end, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which role is which, here.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023

Kanthulhu posted:

This game has a lot of itens called herb or different kinds of grass. I wonder what this says about the dev team :420:

Considering how half-baked some of the encounter difficulties seem to have been in this series, I don't think the state of the dev team is really in question!

...Obviously joking. As a die-hard Xenogears fan, I'm a sucker for "quirky" RPGs. The story so far has been shockingly good, even if the combat balance seems to need a bit of fine tuning.

Though I'm not above throwing SOME shade. After all, it's such a drat shame that there wasn't anything at all that Shu could've tried to do to help her. Like, I dunno, looking around for a spare rope or mooring line on the freakin' airship he's very familiar with somewhere so she could pull herself across?? Sure, she'd still be bombed off, but at least it'd be something to throw besides High School Gym Teacher words of encouragement.

No worries, I get why not - wasn't in the art/animation budget to show him throwing a rope to her, her grabbing it, etc. Still makes him look like an impotent rear end there, though.

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023
> I'm sorry. I've obviously intruded into your personal affairs.

...Wait...hold on...hol' up JUST a sec.

Are you telling me that there's an RPG where the protagonist prying into people's lives is acknowledged as potentially being *rude?* :staredog:

IMPOSSIBLE I SAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkmage0707077
Dec 10, 2023

Miketopus posted:

Speaking of, sorry everyone that I'm still going slowly. My work tends to come in waves, and right now surf's up. Hoping I'll have something next week and then more regularly after that. :sigh:

Dude, you're FINE. We get it, life happens, no need to apologize. Especially when there isn't really a set schedule for these things anyway. I've been working my fair share of 20-hour work days the past month or so to know how it can get.