Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Good Sphere posted:

The exciting thing about getting stuck in a small-crevice cave and never found again, is that you have the chance of getting fossilized into the rock for millions of years. :allears:

That’s why you should always carry your phone when spelunking even though you don’t get signal, so that future archaeologists can have some idea of what destroyed our civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Any of you guys visited the Mystery Flesh Pit National Park? I'm not old enough to have gone back in the day, heard it was wild tho.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:/ i got lost in a deep and complex cave system once and barely made it out alive

haven't talked to your mother since then

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DicktheCat posted:

Any of you guys visited the Mystery Flesh Pit National Park? I'm not old enough to have gone back in the day, heard it was wild tho.

Last I heard they had auctioned off the land for oil drilling. Thanks, Brandon!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I went on a guided cave tour with a small group in Cheddar, home of delicious cheddar cheese. We crawled through a tiny hole called the nutcracker and ended up in this chamber with a low ceiling that was a pit hollowed out by water. The guide told everyone to hold their breath and turn off their helmet lights, and those moments in the silent dark were pure existential terror.

e: also there was a spooky skeleton

kecske fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 25, 2023

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

People piss and poo poo into those holes

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I wonder at what depth within the Earth is the deepest that anybody has ever hosed

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

See? Genuinely terrifying. It could happen to any of us at any time. Caves are only a problem for cavers.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I think caves are very cool as long as I don't have to be inside of them and die

i hear they often contain treasure as well

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember when poo poo used to have content unst ad if just being YouTube dumps? Lol cool thread OP great job

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

I think caves are very cool as long as I don't have to be inside of them and die

i hear they often contain treasure as well

hard to get at the treasure when you are beset by cowardice as you are however

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nooner posted:

Remember when poo poo used to have content unst ad if just being YouTube dumps? Lol cool thread OP great job

Caves

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I normally can't stand this style of video but the narrator sounds like Principal Skinner so I made it through to the end

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
OP did you make this thread because recently Youtube has been shovelling a lot caving horror stories into your recommendations in the past month, because it's been doing it to me despite having never watched a single video of caving disasters in my life.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

OP did you make this thread because recently Youtube has been shovelling a lot caving horror stories into your recommendations in the past month, because it's been doing it to me despite having never watched a single video of caving disasters in my life.

No, I actively searched for it in the past couple days, simply because I felt morbidly curious.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

kind of wordy but interesting
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Akiyoshido cave system was one of the first places I stopped by on my bicycle tour across Japan. It was incredibly cool, and I'm glad I brought an old point and shoot so I could set stuff manually with long exposure after setting it down with a timer. I only did the 1km main path but I saw lots of gated off areas, along with some paths I read as being "advanced level" I think. The tour guide also gave me her number to do some more spelunking later.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh fuuuuuuck no. Caving and drowning all in one??

quote:

The omens look good for making a discovery. Then one perhaps mutters – is it a joke? – "Eh, what's that rumbling? Not the stream going up?" It is every caver's nightmare – lying flat-out in water, not a joke that cavers like. But now everyone hears it. Unmistakably, sickeningly, the water is surging; the draught whistles like a gale. As far as anyone knows – no one has tried it – Mossdale Caverns floods completely. Still they do not panic. They are the country's best cavers. Surely it cannot happen to them? The roof is a few inches above their prostrate bodies. They instinctively crawl faster, yet each of them knows there is nowhere to go.

:gonk:

Coxswain Balls posted:

The Akiyoshido cave system was one of the first places I stopped by on my bicycle tour across Japan. It was incredibly cool, and I'm glad I brought an old point and shoot so I could set stuff manually with long exposure after setting it down with a timer. I only did the 1km main path but I saw lots of gated off areas, along with some paths I read as being "advanced level" I think. The tour guide also gave me her number to do some more spelunking later.

This is actually super duper cool! Fantastic pictures by the way.

Yeah, feel free to relay actual awesome cool cave adventures and pics too.

Caves!!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

hard to get at the treasure when you are beset by cowardice as you are however

what the hell am i supposed to do with treasure

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Last time I went caving we did a four day trip to a super wet dome+pit complex with a ton of waterfall climbs trying to find a connection between these two caves on different ridges in Kentucky. It was about 8 hours of stoop-walking and climbing to get from the entrance to the campsite, and about 3 hours of shimmying through a 11 inch wide canyon and swimming through a underground river with 6 inches of air space to get to the climbs we were exploring.

On the way out, I was absolutely wiped out tired and the team was spread out over about a mile of big borehole passage when I slipped on a muddy spot and fell onto my side.

This would normally not be a problem, but there was a slight incline and I continued to slide until I fell into the canyon at the edge of the passage, falling about 10 feet and landing on a pile of boulders. That pile of boulders are my favorite pile of boulders in the whole world, since if they hadn't been there to break my fall, it would have been 30 feet.

Anyway, since the rest of the team was strung out over this mile long passage there was nothing to do but put one foot on each side of the canyon and climb out again.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I love caving because once you get in there deep it's so clean. Maybe you're covered in mud, but it's pure mineral mud with no deer pellets or garbage.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

les enfants Terrific! posted:

Cave diving is the horrible combination of claustrophobia, drowning, and certain death that keeps me awake at night.

There was a kid in my year back in school, I think his name was Lee? Never had classes with him but what few times I did speak with him he seemed a good sort, someone who never gave anyone any poo poo and was liked by pretty much across the board, he sometimes worked on the news stand at the nearby tube station, always busy up to something. He wasn’t into regular sports but he was into potholing, he loved the exploration aspect, and would typically head off somewhere each month.

Then one week the school announced he had been swept away and found drowned a while after and that was that. Everyone was understandably devastated. Between that, The Descent, and that dude who famously got stuck at some weird angle and couldn’t be saved, I ain’t going near a fuckin’ cave ever.

Still, I did get his job out of it so swings and roundabouts, all part of life’s rich tapestry, etc.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Sentinel Red posted:

There was a kid in my year back in school, I think his name was Lee? Never had classes with him but what few times I did speak with him he seemed a good sort, someone who never gave anyone any poo poo and was liked by pretty much across the board, he sometimes worked on the news stand at the nearby tube station, always busy up to something. He wasn’t into regular sports but he was into potholing, he loved the exploration aspect, and would typically head off somewhere each month.

Then one week the school announced he had been swept away and found drowned a while after and that was that. Everyone was understandably devastated. Between that, The Descent, and that dude who famously got stuck at some weird angle and couldn’t be saved, I ain’t going near a fuckin’ cave ever.

Still, I did get his job out of it so swings and roundabouts, all part of life’s rich tapestry, etc.

You killed him

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

You wanted what he had.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i went in a big cave in north vietnam once (in halong bay)

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
i often think about the guy in israel who got swallowed in a sinkhole while chilling in a swimming pool

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I dont go in caves because that's where bigfoot lay their eggs

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

That's the stuff of nightmares. Jesus, just the sheer terror they must have felt.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Good Sphere posted:

The exciting thing about getting stuck in a small-crevice cave and never found again, is that you have the chance of getting fossilized into the rock for millions of years. :allears:

I went to a tourist-y cave like a decade ago and at one point there was a section deep in the cave where the tour guide said they'd found a fossilised human jawbone, estimated to belong to a ten year old, and described how you often don't find human remains this deep because this is where the animals like bears would be and humans typically only stayed up at the mouths. They decided to illustrate the most likely fate of the kid by turning out all the lights and playing the sounds of animals growling for a solid minute.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Speleothing posted:

Anyway, since the rest of the team was strung out over this mile long passage there was nothing to do but put one foot on each side of the canyon and climb out again.
Well that sounds loving awesome, lucky you made it out eventually.

When I was about 12 my buddy Max and me were exploring the back of a decent sized boulder entitled Suicide on the front face. Max slipped and fell, out of my sight about 20ft up. I screamed and yelled and after a few seconds he's like "Yeah… I'm OK… got winded, but." I had never been so scared for that 5-15 seconds in my life. Took me about 2 minutes to scramble down around the back side to find him walking out from a side crack underneath the front face.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

cool read. makes me want to go caving again honestly lol

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

cumpantry posted:

cool read. makes me want to go caving again honestly lol

How?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't go into any cave where I had to get down and crawl, no matter how cool it looked inside.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Pyrotoad posted:

I went to a tourist-y cave like a decade ago and at one point there was a section deep in the cave where the tour guide said they'd found a fossilised human jawbone, estimated to belong to a ten year old, and described how you often don't find human remains this deep because this is where the animals like bears would be and humans typically only stayed up at the mouths. They decided to illustrate the most likely fate of the kid by turning out all the lights and playing the sounds of animals growling for a solid minute.

that is actually real funny

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dunno, just all the focus on leakey and eyre, their exploits and daring, the insistence to never go to that cave but rising to the opportunity to mount a rescue cuz they knew what the hell to do--and both lived after. yeah i obviously dont have an interest in mossdale any time soon but not every cave is so terrifying. i'll just have to trust myself to not squeeze into narrow tunnels on rainy days

+ the cave cartography stuff, mapping a cave sounds super cool

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
ngl after reading some of these caving horror stories I kinda want to start caving too for some mentally ill reason I can't quite explain

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

simple fun to be had in a hole

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The most frightening thing about the videos in the OP is the bizarre tonal shifts and emphasis of odd words in the narration.

Edit: lmao, the second one's onscreen text makes it feel like a parody. Just random words from the monologue thrown up on screen. Why are people so bad at this.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 29, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like skydiving and climbing mountains but cannot at all see the appeal of crawling in a muddy hole barely big enough to fit in for long periods just to maybe see cool rocks or die

And cave divers? Lunatics all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You see I feel it is far better to just dig your own hole to go wandering around, that way you can be relatively sure it won't be full of cave monsters that will eat you the second your torch light goes out.