Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does the manga still have stuff like the guy who asks every female character he meets if he can see their panties, and then they kick him in the face?

I just... who is that for!? Like who is the audience who needs this character archetype. It isn't just one piece, even goddamn Pokemon does a toned down version of it
Yes, thankfully it's only a very small amount of the manga and they generally get punished for being perverts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Yeah, Nami is the only member of the crew who it isn't a miracle they haven't died at sea yet.

and that's generally because Nami and Robin are there

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did get the impression she is the working brain cell of the crew

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Unlike Luffy and Zoro, Usopp and Sanji do actually demonstrate functioning brains when not preoccupied being a braggadocious coward or desperate hornball, respectively.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I've seen a few eps of this, and my only gripe from a character perspective is that Zoro's personality seems to be adapted from the latter part of the manga. In early One Piece, he was almost as crazy as Luffy and constantly laughed at his antics. Here, he seems to have joined Nami in the straight man role. Zoro and Luffy's friendship is harder to figure out in the live action.

Also, the pacing feels too fast early on, something I thought I would never say about One Piece. However, it does cool off after Shells town and settles into a good rhythm.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After watching some more anime, I get the vibe that the movies specifically are generally hornier than the series, because the characters are further exaggerated to go with a two hour runtime. But wow this stuff has been fun.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

John Wick of Dogs posted:

pervert characters.

perverrrt caaaaamel

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've heard people point out Zoro being so different, but I honestly actually think that everyone here is different enough that they're basically new characters going through the old characters' stories (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). It really doesn't come across in this season, for instance, that manga Nami should be as much of a bonkers weirdo as everyone else on the crew. Even Luffy -- who's generally the one who people think the show got quite right -- is very much an adaptation of manga Luffy with quite a lot of parts exchanged

The show has the vibes of a very well-done tokusatsu series that just gets more and more pronounced over time, and I'm pleasantly surprised so many new viewers are so willing to just roll with it. The production values definitely help. If the CGI was more CW-level, or if the swordfighting was less dramatic, or even if the music was a bit more chintzy, I suspect audiences would have been a lot less patient with it all. Which, I suppose, is kind of a longwinded way to say "people will like your show if you do it well" :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I don't think they're that different, it feels more like they're taking the same basic character traits and emphasizing certain ones in the Live Action more than they do in the manga/anime. Nami has always been the "voice of reason" on the crew who joins in their fun when they can convince her, especially early.

Also they're sort of taking later characterisation into the start of the story, most notably with Usopp, but it's going on with Luffy and Zoro too (Nami not so much).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a dream where there was a news report that they had confirmed that chopper would be played by a person using prosthetics.

I kinda want to see that now. :v:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Not a confirmed thing, but some of the head people on the show did say that was the avenue they were considering right now. Guessing referring to human form, unless they also wanted to get a very short person/child for hybrid form. If they're thinking that for reindeer form, well, would be an interesting take I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a human trying to do reindeer form regardless of the quality of prosthetics would be an absolute horror show

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
People like to post Gus from Sweet Tooth when talking about a reindeer kid but nobody likes to post the actual animatronic furry kid that show used.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think that kind of setup would be the most sensible option for Chopper's 'main' form. Heavy Point could be a guy in a suit/prosthetics though.

https://x.com/Mickle_Jim/status/1409190676357550081?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nikumatic posted:

People like to post Gus from Sweet Tooth when talking about a reindeer kid but nobody likes to post the actual animatronic furry kid that show used.

Oh gently caress wait how that thing look in motion

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUlhldsyaM

Honestly pretty drat good. Sweet Tooth's first season was great; I really need to watch the second one.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
can they just do exactly tha tplease

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/sandman_AP/status/1707000885266780368?t=H9Q-WO0haSdE2NdPC4z_vg&s=19

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

All I'm saying is that Doug Jones is busy enough, and it's time for Hollywood's other prosthetic enthusiast actor to take the role of Strong Point Chopper.

There's a lot of ways to loose your castle. Be careful, Wapol.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
doug jones can also play brook

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

[…]if the music was a bit more chintzy[…]

I just want to shout out the soundtrack. I’ve been listening to it for the past couple of days and it really is great. Does a lot of heavy lifting, especially given how varied the aesthetic of this show is. Just about every weird, disparate aspect has an appropriate motif but they all form a coherent musical identity. Plus a lot of it is just fun, bouncy, and energetic.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
The composers really seem to get the assignment.

Sonya Belousova posted:

The whole deal with Usopp Is he really wants to become the bravest pirate out there, just like his father. But as of right now, in this season, he’s still cowardly, and has to find inner confidence. So we used a ukulele for Usopp, specifically a bluesy ukulele, because it was kind of quirky, sometimes funky. But as his inner self-confidence grows throughout this season and expands into further seasons, we’re gonna grow with the size of that guitar. So from the small ukulele, we’re gonna go bigger, bigger, bigger, bigger, and eventually we’re probably going to get to a 12-string guitar.

Giona Ostinelli posted:

We’re gonna reach a point where no existing guitar can represent how he’s growing. So, you know, we’re gonna have to build new guitars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

So what we did was actually recorded the lyrics “chop-chop!” so that whenever you see Buggy there is a really fast riff going “chop-chop chop-chop” in the actual music. If you pay close attention, you will literally hear “chop-chop”!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everybody involved in this show seems to be giving it their all, and it absolutely rules.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

quote:

So what we did was actually recorded the lyrics “chop-chop!” so that whenever you see Buggy there is a really fast riff going “chop-chop chop-chop” in the actual music. If you pay close attention, you will literally hear “chop-chop”!

Hahahaha, oh my god, you actually can hear it! That's awesome!

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Looking forward to when Usopp's music gets around to the 12-18 string bass pieces

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Luff posted:

Looking forward to when Usopp's music gets around to the 12-18 string bass pieces

I wonder what will happen when completely new and unrelated character Sniper King appears. :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder what will happen when completely new and unrelated character Sniper King appears. :allears:

Obviously it'll be based around an electric sitar. Aside from the introductory theme song, of course.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Watching the Syrup Village episodes and the way Kuro says “Funky Bar???” is so funny

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

quote:

This will be fun to see if they keep up. Ssssssand. Ssssssssand.

And laughing that a twelve-string guitar is as large as they're imagining. Fly em down to the New South Wales!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKeqpV7jJBU

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't wait until Usopp takes off his party hat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikGvLUbOuU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hey writers can talk about things again. Interview with the showrunner:

https://deadline.com/2023/10/one-piece-showrunner-matt-owens-season-2-interview-jamie-lee-curtis-1235563095/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They are literally writing Kureha for Jamie Lee at this point and once the strike is over, dinners will be had and talks will be talked

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The talk will be 3 words. "You up?" "Yup"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also yeah, I didn't consider South African winter when thinking about when they could start shooting again. I've lived through the rainy season and wet and windy is an understatement. It will rain, and it will rain HARD.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Owens' One Piece fandom origin story sounds like almost everyone I know, including myself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like when celebrities are part of a fandom as it's kind of cute considering they are living the dream, like the reason Skrillex did Kingdom Hearts 3's intro song was that he grew up with the series and always wanted to compose a piece for it. :3:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ah, that 4Kids shade. :allears:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Matt Owens posted:

One of the really fun aspects of this show to me is, the manga has been going on for so long, and sometimes Oda revisits previous places in time or reveals information about a certain character who was at an event or who has knowledge of something. And we get to take all of that and play with it in the present-day story for us.

Some fans might understand what are two things that I might be alluding to with a statement like that but that was also a part of my conversation with Oda in getting ready for Season 2, it’s like, ‘Hey, are you cool if we put this person here because it’s something that we know happens years later’? And he was like, yeah. He enjoys that too, he enjoys seeing the depth of knowledge and love for his source material and allowing us to tell the story in a way that looks slightly different on is still on the whole in line with his vision.

So help me out here, any ideas what this is alluding to? Brook/Laboon and what else? What's the other thing about the Alabasta arc that gets more info revealed way later to reinterpret events? or is he treating Brook/Laboon as two different things as they're different introductions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Teek posted:

So help me out here, any ideas what this is alluding to? Brook/Laboon and what else? What's the other thing about the Alabasta arc that gets more info revealed way later to reinterpret events? or is he treating Brook/Laboon as two different things as they're different introductions.

Bartolomeo at Loguetown maybe?